Counselling date

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a confirmation from Iapt for a appointment, now my dilemma is how many sessions do I get? And am I going to be able to talk to her comfortably. 

Am I going to feel comfortable with someone new? I am scared about the the cbt therapists may have put in my notes and whether she has written me in a good light or bad light. I am wrong  to be anxious about the first meeting and just scared about moving forward again, after being stood still for over 3 months. 

Just need some some advice and scared at what to expect

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Go in and give her a clean slate.Try to be positive.If you think you may be at loss for confidence bring in a paper with a few points on it you would like to bring up.That way after you leave you wont focus on what you should have talked about.maybe a few things you wanted to change and perhaps some of the things you tried to do to change those things.Remember to take belly breaths before the meeting and during.Performance anxiety happens to us.Even pro fighters during the match you can hear their corner people call at them to breathe.Just mention "oh I am a bit anxious when I first meet someone"so I wrote just a few points I wanted to remember that I feel are important .If you have a few things written that way she will see that you are making effort to help youself and are prepared
  • Posted

theres no need to be nervous.  you call the shots, you talk about what you want to talk about, if you dont want to talk about something then you simply dont.  Also dont be afraid to say if you dont think its working, there are a lot of types of therapy, if one isnt working then your within your rights to ask for another, same goes if you dont like the therapist.  just talk, they listen- thats all there is to it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.