Cramping heart

Posted , 4 users are following.

After months of complaining about heart problems finally saw cardiologist today who said that during a stress test on treadmill my heart showed cramping, he said it may be a blocked artery stopping blood flow, so I now have to have a CT scan. Some docs are easy to question others just look at you, I did not feel able to ask as many questions as I wanted, did ask if I was likely to be more at risk of heart attack or stroke he said no more than anyone else. I am due to fly in 2 weeks time and he said no problems just don't lift heavy cases (why?) he also said that as my risk was low not to worry as this test shows this in a lot of women due to breasts? He has given me asthma tablets to slow heart rate down for scan, but what side effects will they give me? Feel worried as I am 56 overweight with a bmi of 34 and due to having reflux and diverticular (god I sound unhealthy) struggle with diet, so anyone else have this, if so what did you change or add to your lifestyle to help? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi back from chemist and have been given Bisacoldol beta blockers, not asthma tablets. I have to take 1.25mg per day for 30 days before this CT scan. I am really scared to start as the list of symptoms sound exactly like the ones I am getting already, ie dizziness, tiredness, headache and I do not want them to get any worse. Also why it is good to exercise when exercise showed this up in the first place. Now really confused.
  • Posted

A neighbour a bit older than you and over weight with bad reflux lost two and a half stone after a complete change of diet. She is now off PPI's .

Another who did not look overweight to me lost a stone and her reflux is much improved and she has reduced her PPI dosage to the minimum.

Stress tests can produce false positives, I've had four and two later angiograms showed my arteries to be clear.

Nowadays most airports are stressful places and put the BP up. I suppose he is thinking of that along with the lifting. Nowdays with wheels on suitcases not a lot of lifting/carrying s involved. 

Are you having and getting the CT scan results before you go? Insurance companies do not like people who are undergoing tests for possibly serious conditions.

Google: 'Stress ECG with large breasts' The false positive/Negative rate is quite high and evidently stress echo cardiogram images are less clear for big breasted patients.

• Posted

hello, i dont have the same condition but have a leaky heart valve, i'm not allowed to lift heavy objects (including lifting heavy weights in the gym) due to the strain it can put on your heart, it's good advice to follow, particularly as you don't have a full diagnosis, best to be overly cautious for now.

The particular problem I was told about was when we lift heavy things we have a tendency to hold our breath, even if just temporarily (i know i had that bad habit because once i knew about it i caught myself doing it a few times without even thinking about it).  So if you are lifting anything remember lift at the knees and breathe.

But i guess even asides that when we lift heavy items, the pull on your arms will put strain on your chest/heart area in general anyway.  best to use a case with wheels, a trolley when you need it and if there is someone else around who can help, don't be too proud to let them (i know we all can be at times - im just as guilty as the next person) afterall it's better to have our pride put out a little than it is to end up wishing you'd taken it easy, especially when its something as momentary as lifting a case.

Oh and I have a little game for you, I used to feel uncomfortable asking questions of some doctors, some of them seem so unapproachable, as if you are wasting their time even being there.  So now I make a point of asking them more questions, the sillier the better - i'm not talking about trying to waste their time, they are always genuine questions and things i really want/need to know.  So next time you have a question you are not sure you can ask, in that moment i want you to dare yourself to do it, in fact, i dare you! 

While asking my stupid questions one of the driest doctors i ever met even laughed once, but even if they don't you can always come on here and moan about them afterwards smile  even if they are miserable and rude at least you will come away feeling better for having asked all you wanted to

• Posted

Thanks, I will try that next time I have a grumpy doc. I am really confused as my ECG's, Bloods, Blood Pressure, Pulse are all normal, cholestoral nothing to worry about, just the stress test which may or may not be correct as unfortunately I have large boobs. I am now scared to exercise, scared of going away and generally worried, which I know is not helpful, but how can I be low risk but may have a life threaterning illness. Also asked if my risk of stroke or heart attack was greater and cardiac nurse said no worse than mine!! I suppose they just have to cover all possibilities. I now have to try and get holiday insurance knowing that I am waiting for this test aaahh.
    • Posted

Hello, I have just been told I have a leaky valve, very scared, but doc. doesn't seem to be too concerned he will monitor it.i feel very tired lately, wonder if this was the reason.i am also on Warfarin,wonder if means the leak will get worse and give me a big bleed......the docs never expand when they tell you and left wondering is this a big thing or quite something minor blip.....
    • Posted

Hi, I know the feeling, as it was during exercise my problem showed up am now scared to do anything strenuous in case I keel over, but if you google heart you are supposed to exercise to help your heart? I have made an appointment with my GP on Monday and will take the letter from the cardiologist and not leave until I am happy I know what it happening to me, especially as I am due to fly next Sunday and am scared to do that. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.