Cramps in hands

Posted , 5 users are following.

yesterday I did my first day in my new shop the first couple of hours I was working on the shop floor filling the fridges a bit of a cold job as they didn't supply me with the correct clothing nothing new there , anyway this did involve a lot of stretching and lifting stock, later I was on the tills for about 3 hours solid, I tried standing and sitting so I wouldn't stiffen up but the problem was ache in my neck and shoulders and lower back on the right side which is the side I use to move the items on the conveyor belt then both my hands went into cramps I've never had cramp in my hands before though my right hand had been giving me problems just prior to being diagnosed with pmr, I woke up today sore and stiff across shoulders and exhausted !!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Oh,Molly. I am so sorry to hear that you are having to contend with such a difficult and repetitive job which must be the worst type possible for PMR. Are you able to rest today? When is your next working day?
    • Posted

Yes I am able to rest today and I'm back to work tomorrow for 5 hours I don't get a break in this store for 5 hours even though it is the same company and we used to get one
    • Posted

I'm glad you can rest today. It's awful that you have no break. I'm no longer up to date on the law in the workplace but if you have been moved I thought that the same conditions would remain so I would check that out. Did you have to sign a new contract? I realise that it is difficult to cope with PMR and work but are you able to contact Citizens Advice Bureau for assistance/ advice? There hours are limited so may be problematic but you may be able to get an appointment to suit or even some advice over the telephone.
    • Posted

Unfortunately not all the conditions remained the same though I was surprised about the breaks and yes we had to sign new contracts, I will see how things go in the next few weeks and how my body copes but if at the end of the day I don't find a solution and I am in pain then I will seriously think of retiring earlier than planned, I'm 58 and a half lol in body but my mind isn't but your health is more important than a job and with this condition if you don't listen to it it makes it worse 
    • Posted

If you can afford it, see if you can find a Bowen therapist locally - the things you are complaining about are possibly not directly PMR but something called myofascial pain syndrome. Some of the symptoms are similar but Bowen often helps a lot. You won't have to keep going for months and months - if it will help then you will know after 3 sessions, if it doesn't help by then it is unlikely to.
  • Posted

It is as I thought. New contract and some conditions change. If you find that you need to retire consider going off sick for as long as you can be paid as this will add to your service years and your company pension. I think before going down the route of retirement you need to get some good advice as this can make a difference to your government pension as well as your company pension. Let's face it we all want to be as financially comfortable as possible in retirement as it helps soften any other discomforts!
  • Posted

Just noticed some of my grammar etc.e.g. there instead of their. Oops. Sorry. I have noticed the brain fog is getting worse and sometimes I can't find the right words. I'm still doing the daily crossword in the Guardian but some days it really taxes my brain! I'm trying to ward off dementia.
    • Posted

Ah well - I couldn't even start the Grauniad crossword despite my other language skills! I have a few words that persistently come out wrong when typing - jsut is only one of them!
  • Posted

Hi Molly it's mariane and I'm very new to this and the same age as you. I wanted to retire this year but hubby and I love our travel so I thought find another job but maybe pt. but if we could swing it I didn't want to work sice he's retired. Now I'm forced into it. I happened to be off on sick leave when PMR hit but take advantage of whatever programs you have. Trust me your health and well being is #1 from both my husband and I loosing our spouses.

As for the brain freeze my livelihood was intrinsically linked in putting proper words and phrases together. My hand3l here is "made" when it should have been "maid" talk about a faux paw. Lol

• Posted

Hi Mariane your right health and well being is number 1 and I am slowly realising that now though it is hard to grasp, I have had a few health problems in the last couple of years and every year I've said this is my year to be well then something else comes along so maybe it is time to retire, I'm only part time now but my employers are always wanting more and I'm too stupid and soft to say no, I'm not one for just going on the sick either . I seem to have lost all my confidence and feel very anxious so don't think looking for another job is an option as I don't seem able to take things in or remember anything at the minute , maybe once I start reducing the pred things might improve but I doubt it lol as it wasn't much better before that .
    • Posted

Believe me - no-one on their death bed will say they wished they'd worked more! And no employer will erect a memorial saying "S/he died in the service of the company". Six months after you leave the company most people will say "Who?" when your name is mentioned.

You may have less money when you retire but the quality of life can be SO much better. When you haven't to slog yourself half to death working you have energy to do other things that bring pleasure and they don't have to cost a lot. People travel - but don't know their own region. Often other people travel there and go oooh and ahhh at things you haven't even registered are there.

"I seem to have lost all my confidence and feel very anxious" - I think a lot ofpeople will recignise that as a symptom or result of PMR. Pred doesn't help either.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen for that it really helps to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way sometimes until I come on here that is exactly how I feel and the guilt is horrendous at times, your right about the company I should not feel at all guilty there as they have not thought about me at all lately life is too short . I have also looked for a Bowen Therapist and emailed one in my area yesterday so fingers crossed .
    • Posted

Eileen is absolutely right. Think about yourself. There are lots of things to see and do which don't cost much. Although you may have to pace yourself if you ask a person who has retired how they manage to fill their day the most likely response is they are so busy they don't know how they managed to work. A few of us meet up for lunch in each other's houses. We set the next date at the host's house and that is a feat in itself as everyone is so busy.......all retired.You will also find you don't spend so much when you are retired.
    • Posted

Thanks silver I know your right I have a couple of friends who both say exactly that and I know I won't be bored I think it's just the thought of it lol
    • Posted

Yes. As the saying goes often the thought is worse than the deed! I worked part time for my final year prior to retirement and that helped. I note you are already part time so that's good. Please seek advice on the best way to retire on health grounds. I was like you and never off sick but was fortunate enough to be well when I retired. You will have paid in to your company and government for this very occasion don't even think about guilt. Remove it from your mind and take the sick leave to which you are entitled.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.