cramps/spasms lower ribcage

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a cold/ cough & have been taking sudafed up until last night. At the same time I have been consipated & yesterday suffered shooting pain/ cramps below my breast bone. I assumed acid reflux or something similar. I didn't eat all day but had some tea last night then the pain got worse. I tried drinking soda water to try & burp to relieve the pressure in my stomach but couldn't burp.

I've woken up today & it feels like spasms from my left side of my ribs to my breast bone. Still constipated.

I really don't know what to try next. My cough isn't bad enough for me to have pulled something.

Any tips?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you check the packet for possible side affects? I THINK sudafed can increase your heart rate. Could the tightness in your chest be related to that?

sudafed is really for clearing congested airways, so I'd suggest you change medication and take a lozenge for the cough and some menthol for the cold.

I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Nothing really stood out on the side effects but I'm steering clear of tablets today. Bad enough the cold is making me feel rough let alone my tummy
  • Posted

You say you are constipated. This can cause stomach cramps.

Try Laxido sachets and eat more fruit and veg.

Also try to exercise.

I often have this problem with constipation.

If you are taking painkillers for a cold and headache they can make you constipated.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.