Creatinine level after nephrectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 61 years old and had a radical nephrectomy (left kidney) seven weeks ago because of a tumor (benign) and last week had labs that showed creatinine of 1.9.  My doc (the surgeon) told me that I need to have more labs in 5 months and that if the creatinine was any higher I would have a problem and have to go on a “horrible” low protein diet.  I asked him if the chances were good that the number would be stable and he looked away from me and said there was a chance, but he wasn’t convincing. He also told me I could eat what I want, and I eat healthily and watch the protein, but not a kidney specific diet.  Now my right side aches sometimes and I’m worried that it’s my one and only.  If the number is higher than the 1.9 will it mean CKD?  And does that mean that eventually I will I end up on dialysis? Should I go on a more restrictive diet until I have labs? Thank you for reading. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your levels are recorded differntly that in the UK ours are measured in units for example when I was on dialysis mine was 600 and now I have had a transplant its around 100.  5 months seems a long time to me if they are concerned. I am unsure why people are told to eat a low protien diet this is something I have never been told to do and I have had CKD all my life. Regarding changing your diet don't it is dangerous if you haven't been told to you can do more damage than good.  For example you can't go on a low potassium diet if your postassium is within range as you will make too low which has the same effect as if it is too high and you can have a heart attack.  Your blood results determin a change of diet and I would only change things if you are told to do so and advised what to eat by a dietician, if you have been told to eat normally then do so.  I would avoid salt especcially low salt as this is worse and also avoid ibuprofen.  The only thing that is safe is paracetamol.  As for CKD this comes in 5 stages depending on your GFR (kidney function) people who have CKD can stay at a stage for ever and never progress so no if in time you are told you have CKD it does not mean that you will have to have dialysis.  I would live your life now and not worry about things you have no control over.  Ensure your blood pressure is kept under control and go to your appointments when asked to do so.  Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you Helen, for your information; it's helped me.  And you are right:  sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof!  Good luck always to you, too. 

• Posted

Hi,

I am a 44 year old female that had a nephrectomy back in January of 2015 after misdiagnosed hydronephrosis for years. My current gfr is 57 and creatinine is at a 1 at this point. Just chiming in about the protein. I was told kidneys don't like protein and actually work harder on a higher protein diet. I was told to eat under 50-60mg a day which can add up pretty quickly. An average chicken breast can be 20mg alone. My potassium was coming back also a little high around 5.3.. So I stopped bananas, tomatoes, and potatoes and that came down back to normal. After my nephrectomy my gfr stayed around 70 for about a year and then dropped to what it is now and has stayed there .. Not sure why as I was tested for everything and anything. I guess my remaining kidney is just having a harder time for some reason. My blood pressure is usually around 90/60 and I actually have to eat salt or I can get pretty dizzy and lightheaded at times. I was told I could live a full life with this remaining kidney at this stage ( but I'm having a hard time believing that though) if I really watch my diet and be vigilant about not taking ibuprofen and Okaying any antibiotics or meds with my nephrologist first. Hoping your results come back better for you and good luck. 🙂Every persons situation is different. Once you have your next labs done I'm sure your doctors will have a plan in place for you.

• Posted

Thank you Andrea. Glad all is going well for you and may it stay that way!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.