crohn's

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, my name is nick i have had crohn's for 12 years now and then diagnosed with coilitis just before christmas last year. I have had 6 operations for crohn's upto now removing most of my small bowel. Then in febuary just gone i had more surgery because of colitis, leaving me with a end colostomy. plus they removed more of my small bowel, im penciled in for more surgery after crimbo for a total colectomy and maybe TPN tubes due to lack of small bowel. 

​But the question i want to ask is, does anyone have problems with their colostomy bags coming free from the skin? the problem i have is, im a roofer which involves bending most of the day. I use the salts convex bags and belts BUT! i find they still come away from the skin on the top right hand side next to my scar? they don't come off enough for me to get in a mess, but just down to the convex part. Or so that there is a small gap for wind to escape. I have tried a few differant bags from coloplast with still no joy, if not worse? and pretty soon i will have my stoma for life so i need to sort these little things out.

i will be very greatful for anybodys help or ideas.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi nick I can't offer any help but I do hope your future surgery goes well and you can get some help. You have been through so much and I am in amazement that you are still continuing to do such a physical job. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your post and I will keep my fingers crossed, thank you
  • Posted

Hi Nick

I do not know the answer as I do not use same as you but I have found the manufacturers helpful. Salts may have some kind of patient helpline that you could ring. I use micropore to get better adhesion but that may not help you so suggest you contact Salts. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for that, I never thought about asking the company for advice
  • Posted

Hi Nick. I use Convatec flexible flanges and bags. It's a 2 piece system. The flange has the inner ring like a pool neck jumper so that no matter how much you move it remains snuggly fitted to the stoma. Sticks really well to the skin even over scar area as has a double sticking area.

Best advice is to go onto manufacturers websites and they can all send you samples of ones you want to try. Try Salts, Convatec, or just put 'ileostomy bag companies' in your search engine.

I've had all my colon, rectum and an us removed and most of my small bowel. I'm left with 1.5m of not great quality small bowel. I spent 6 wks on tpn last autumn before my last bowel surgery and it was easy to do myself. Now I have 4000 calories a day to maintain my weight by eating normally and also using 6-8 ensure plus drinks a day.

Good luck with your surgery and with getting your bag sorted. I started on Coloplast but changed to Convatec as after about 3 months the Coloplast stopped sticking to my skin.

• Posted

Hi,

​  Thanks a lot for your help, i will get some samples from salts. I tried a couple of smples from coloplast with pretty much no joy, and i would like to get things right for after my next operation and avoid leaks and stuff as best i can.

​thanks again, and good luck for the future with every thing

• Posted

Try Convatec as I swoped to them when I had problems with bags not sticking properly with the Coloplast ones. Because the 2 piece system has an extra ring if adhesive they give you better sticking area and more confidence.
    • Posted

Just to be sure, are they the sur-fit natura mouldable covatec?
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I got straight on to convatec and they sent me some samples. I am wearing the 2 piece pouch now and it seems great! I wore it training last night, and to work today for the first time.

So far so good, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the help

Nick

• Posted

Glad they're working well. I've always found them really reliable and the extra sticky area gives more confidence.
  • Posted

I have been using something called pink tape. I put it around the entire wafer and half on my skin. I also use a Hollister wafer called new image. Skin barrier floating flange. It has no tape and is all skin Barrier material (the same as the inside sections of the safer). That may help hope so. Good luck as I know bending at the waiste is a hard job for a colostomy.

Fred

• Posted

Hi Nick, how are the new bags going? Any joy with avoiding the sticking issues.
    • Posted

So far so good? I have to wear the salts belt with them as when I didn't they started coming away towards the end of my work day, but with the belt they are good. I'm going to try the one piece pouch today and see how I get on with that.
    • Posted

That sounds good. Everyone has to experiment with different ways to make the colostomy work.
    • Posted

Very true, and I feel more at ease for the future. The last thing I want is to have to spend the rest of my life with bags that come off half hour after putting it on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.