Crohns disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I was admitted to hospital with severe stomach pains ( on & off for sometime) a few months ago. Ct scan showed 'thickened caecum'. A follow up colonoscopy showed 2 areas of ulceration in ascending colon & biopsies showed 'features of heavy acute & chronic inflammation with ulceration & deep fissuring'. Does anyone recognise these findings in relation to Crohns Disease? The Colectoral Surgeon that I see has said that given the findings it is quite likely that I have Crohns disease, however...........

I see a consultant registrar, who DIDN'T have site of the biopsy findings and he told me to just stop taking narproxen because it can cause ulcers. I'm confused as I thought narproxen was a anti inflammatory. So without it surely the inflammation will get worse? And just by telling me to stop narproxen does not really address the issues of tge findings. HELP!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I don't know enough about the details as to whether it's crohns- but there are lots of people on here who do and I'm

Sure someone will repy, but do stop the naproxen as the consultant said. Naproxen is what's classed as a non steroidal anti- inflammatory and is very harsh on the stomach etc- causing ulcers and internal bleeding ( at worst) if someone is taking it long term they should always be taking something alongside it to protect the stomach. The anti inflammatory used to treat colitis and crohns are a different type of anti inflammatory. Hopefully they will prescribe you something appropriate to treat the inflammation and ulceration which may be two separate drugs. - hope that helps ( I work in pharmacy field)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Karen. Yes I have always taken lanzoprasole first thing everyday before taking any meds. Have been back onto the hospital today to get another appointment, also going to phone rheumatologist tomorrow as I definitely need to start some medication for the inflammation. I suffer with fybromalgia with lupus, sjogrens overlap and as the steroid injections dont seem to have done the trick this time, I need to try something else I think🙄

• Posted

Hello, my sympathies, I had sim.experience ,had emergency opp. "Thickened area , very inflamed ."Lab said crohns but GI thought not ( didn't have other symptoms ) but had a lot of dental work done in previous weeks and had taken well known a anti inflammatory ( NSAIDs. ) for  several months so GI thought this was likely reason for damage .

I wonder if when we take an anti inflammatory ,are our natural inflammatory responses switched off so any inflammation can go haywire? Or 

Nsaids are hard on soft tissue ,or do NSAIDs trigger crohns ? 

i hope coming off naproxen sorts it out for you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.