Crouching Tiger - stretching the 90 degree rule

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi hippies,

Just back from the gym, and generally pleased at 4 months at my progress.I  was able to do Abs and Ads machines which I couldn't do for past year, and a gentle jog with my PT round the tennis court.

Where I'm not progressing is on crouching. Though medical opinion differs here, my physio is clear this is fine -even good -  if done gently, and i've been doing Dawn's crouching exercise, holding onto edge of table and going down a good way. Also I can bend legs beyond 90 degrees  touch the floor fairly easily -  if briefly.

But, I cant stay down for more than seconds, and cant sit back on heels or crouch to dig up dandelions.

I gather healing takes place over 6-8 months, so shouldn't be cross or frustrated, but wonder if anyone else can do these things I cant do yet, and also neeed a bit of encouragement!

Mic

x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mic,  my physio has had me crouching and squatting for a while (I am almost 18 weeks now) he also has me sit cross legged on the floor which is really hard. The best way I have found is to practice little and often. I haven't done any jogging (and probably won't) but I've started Pilates sessions with my physio which is great. With sitting back on heels I can't do it from kneeling and moving straight down but can do it in increments- hard to explain sorry. Yes healing I was told is six to twelve months so a fair way to go yet. I'm too hot today! 
  • Posted

Hi mic! I am also 4months! Amazing! I can do a little more! But still not completely right. I am Hubby's full time carer! So no time to chill out for me! He too has oa like me. In time I will have to have my other hip and knee's done! But I am soooo scared! At the moment I have reflexology and also I go for Jacuzzi's! We are all different. Regards Amanda
  • Posted

hi Mic --- you have been so encouraging here with your posts - no, I can't do what you are doing - not even close .. and I 15 weeks post op - okay, other hip is bad now too but still .... go easy and be gentle with your self ... try not to compare your self to others, Mic .... give your self a pat on the shgoulder - you have come so far already 

big hug

renee

• Posted

hugs back  -tis indeed a road less travelled, but good to have companions to share the amurula in hot chocolate on the way

mic

x

• Posted

Hi Mic

I am 9 1/2 weeks post op, and although I can crouch briefly it, it is on tip toes so not balanced.  My consultant was pleased with progress but warned me of being careful as having new joint we are predesposed to soft tissue damage, which is very painful and takes a long time to heal.  I am a keen walker, and this is going well, but I do stiffen up when sat, and after driving 1.5 hrs could hardly move!!! I do suffer from pain in buttock and thigh especially when driving.

I am a police officer, and on Mounted Section so keen to return to work when as fit and mobile as possible.  Still need to think long and hard about my work as not recommended to return to front line work due to risk of damage to my hip.  Obviously I would love to return to work as it is, and not be office based but got to balance risk.  Putting that decision off for a while until I see how I feel riding (not for another 2 months) and how I can be accommodated at work.  I am 44 so not ready to give up on life, but don't want to waste my opportunity of the new hip.  I retire from police young so got long life after.

Difficult decisions to make.....

Helen

• Posted

Dear Helen,

good to hear from you!

Guess you miss your horse and career as it was: riding has been discussed here before, and again probably is best easing in slowly?

A few months back, I couldn't use the abs and ads macines in the gym and how I manage them comfortably. but riding is much more apart I imagine!

I can, yes, bend to touch the ground, but only for a few seconds, and  as you say, we need to move slowly! My PT at gym is getting me to do cat yoga stretches, and then gentle go back on heels as far as comfy, which seems a good idea...

not sure where you work. the police horses at sunderland are soooo crowd friendly, and as a result almost no crowd trouble.

enjoy the hot evening

take care

mic

x

• Posted

Hi Mic

I am 9 1/2 weeks post op, and although I can crouch briefly it, it is on tip toes so not balanced.  My consultant was pleased with progress but warned me of being careful as having new joint we are predesposed to soft tissue damage, which is very painful and takes a long time to heal.  I am a keen walker, and this is going well, but I do stiffen up when sat, and after driving 1.5 hrs could hardly move!!! I do suffer from pain in buttock and thigh especially when driving.

I am a police officer, and on Mounted Section so keen to return to work when as fit and mobile as possible.  Still need to think long and hard about my work as not recommended to return to front line work due to risk of damage to my hip.  Obviously I would love to return to work as it is, and not be office based but got to balance risk.  Putting that decision off for a while until I see how I feel riding (not for another 2 months) and how I can be accommodated at work.  I am 44 so not ready to give up on life, but don't want to waste my opportunity of the new hip.  I retire from police young so got long life after.

Difficult decisions to make.....

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.