crp levels

Posted , 10 users are following.

just just my test results back. my CRP is 1.3  normal is 0.0-1.0. I know this has to do with the liver. Now what is this, one thing after another. Getting really scary over here. Please advise. Thx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

CPR is a substance produced by the liver that increases in the presence of inflammation in the body. So the test 'measures' the level of inflammation you have.  

However, returning a 'normal' result doesn't automatically mean you don't have PMR.

• Posted

First of all, as my doctor often warns me, these tests are notoriously inaccurate. So do not read too much into it.  Second, a CRP reading of 1.3 is effectively zero.  My first reading was 17 and my doctor didn't flinch. Some folks are materially higher. 

• Posted

Don't panic, Karen. Your CRP reading is very low.  Mine was over 100  for quite a while at the beginning of my PMR journey (nearly 5 years ago)!  It is still between 20 and 30 - and I'm not dead yet!??

You really must try and relax.  Gettng 'up tight' about everything will affect your pain and discomfort.

All the best from Constance. ??

• Posted

CRP is not "to do" with the liver, no, it is manufactured in the liver in response to tissue damage elsewhere in the body. There are two ways of measuring it and the one usually used for us is used to monitor the prescence of inflammation in the body in much the same way as the ESR (sed rate). Both of them are very non-specific and colds and many other things will cause them to rise. In about a fifth of PMR/GCA patients they don't rise at all. Yours is only very slightly above the "normal" range and in this context, especially if it was higher earlier, means your inflammation is probably fairly well managed by the pred, It isn't a reliable measure though and the doctor should be treating on the basis of symptoms not blood tests. Nor, as Flip has said, does a normal reading mean the PMR has gone away.

I replied to your post on another thread about "acceptance". I know it is difficult but try to relax a bit about having PMR. If you devote the energy you are expending in fighting and getting into a panic about everything you will find life with PMR much easier. If you have to have an autoimmune vasculitis, and of course none of us WANT one, PMR is preferable to most of the others! It may be a pain in the anatomy but it isn't life-threatening and can be managed well with pred in the vast majority of cases. Other forms of vasculitis are not so benign and need drugs more often used as chemotherapy with even worse side effects than pred - yes, that is possible!

• Posted

Hi all,,, I just want to thank Eileen for Her positivity over PMR,,, I've have it since January 2015 and over that time I've struggled with the 'acceptance' of having this condition! This site has been a Godsend, especially Eileen, finally now and only now 19 months on am I totally relaxed and in acceptance of it!! Eileen is so right, it could be an awful lot worse with some other auto immune conditions!! I'm off on holiday in 6 days time, I'm pacing myself by doing a little packing each day, what used to take me a day takes me 5 days now, but there are lots of people in a cemetery that would like to have our condition! Xxx

• Posted

When I was first married my father in law gave me a copy of that famous saying: 

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference. ( Reinhold Niebuhr)

That was in 1967.

It took until getting PMR nearly fifty years later to understand it.  Still not very good at following it.  

• Posted

I think that everyone takes their own amount of time to accept. I like to refer to it as OMG mode. I myself spent about 6 months there. I stayerd on this site and thank heavens for it and all the members that take time out to respond to the inquiries. After 18 months and apparantly its still a toss up between RA and PMR or maybe both I tell myself each day what difference does it make. It is what it is and I will deal with issues as they arise. If you research other types of autoimune diseases there are many that are progressive and could effect organs tissues skin and bones. Im still hoping I just have PMR and not something worse. Time will tell and one has to have alot of patience. Even Having PMR will not play out exactly the same with each person. Good luck Joanne
  • Posted

Meant to mention my crp levels were 59 at the onset and have never been above 7 since the onset of the disease
  • Posted

Two weeks ago I had crp 110 and got penicillin. After two days I had crp 214 and had to go to emergency and was hosptalized for 12 days. After a week they found out that it was due to tooth infection and I got another type of antibiotics.. I have been off pred since December

2008. As you see there is hope.. When starting pred I was told I was lucky to get an illness that can go into remission even if it took me 3 1/2 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.