crush injury to foot, looking for people with a similar experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I had an accident on the 21st of August this year, in which a truck (blessedly unloaded) drove over my foot.

I had emergency surgery done on my toes the same day, the first (big) toe was fractured in multiple places so they fixated it with k wire, they wanted to do the same to the 4th toe but didn't manage to insert it so they decided to leave it like that. My 5th (little) toe was originally to be amputated during this same surgery as the blood flow was massively impaired and X-rays and scans did not show bone, but during surgery they located the bone displaced in my foot so they figured they would give it a shot for cosmetic purposes.

I also suffered from what was described as extensive deglovement but without the skin actually being stripped off (which resulted in massive blistering, the skin is now healthy in some part although there is a fairly large necrotic area on the top of my foot which the doctors have left untouched for now. My afflicted little toe is turning necrotic at the top but the hospital hopes for an auto-amputation where the (dry) necrotic tissue comes off similar to a scab. The same goes for the wound on top of my foot.

I have also broken a couple of metatarsal and tarsal bones, including my heel bone. The damage to the remaining soft tissues, eg muscles and such, is also quite extensive from what I have heard.

Initially the prognosis was a lot worse, they were not sure if my 4th toe would survive and the first couple of days especially there was not a guarantee that I would keep the front area of my foot either because of the risk at compartiment syndrome and the general swelling and damage done to my foot. 

I am still in a splint at the moment, on what is essentially bed rest with bathroom breaks (on crutches, evidently, I am not allowed to put any strain on my foot), and I am unable to attend Uni because of this... I still take oxycodone and paracetamol and occasionally diclofenac across against the pain.

Because of the insecurities that come with this type of injury, and as I am only 23, I was hoping there is someone on this website with similar experience, or someone able to point me I. the right direction of finding people similarly afflicted. I realise no case is the same but having someone to talk to who knows this type of roller coaster would be quite nice....

x I

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yeah I know the feeling what you are going through. I had a slightly different injury motorbike accident in which the real foot peg smashed through my lower leg just above my ankle. Basically it removed flesh arteries and bone and left a hole in my leg. It took 9 surgeries to fix it all and i still have another 2 surgeries to make things look pretty. I had plenty of dark thoughts running through my head as I was close to having an amputation. What I learned and from other patients too is LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR. Just follow their instructions. The other thing is you will likely have a normal life again maybe for a year or more you need to heal. But it will happen. Be thankful for what you have and look to your future. smile
  • Posted

Hi! 

I have a similar injury. In march my foot got stuck between a steel pole and a reach truck resulting in a crush injury. The first and second metatarsal splintered, the 5th metatarsal broke, and the lisfranc and other joints got disclocated. All the bloodvessels also got crushed. 

They did a first surgery inserting 3 pins in my foot. 2 to hold metatarsal 2-5 together and one to keep all the splinters from the first metatarsal together and to make a large incision to prevent compartment syndrome

They had to wait to perform the next surgery, putting screws and bolts in the first metatarsal, because my foot was too swollen. If they had opened my foot they would not have been able to sew it up again. 

So i asked for a transfer to the city I lived, I'm glad I did this cause I didn't have that surgery for another month. Had to stay in the hospital raising my foot above my heart 24/7 ( wasn't even possible to lower it cause it hurted so much, going to the bathroom was a nightmare because i felt the blood rushing to my foot every time).

I had the surgery ((early may) I could write  entire story about this too but I won't) and there was some necrotic tissue on my foot the orthopedist decided to leave it on because it was possible it healed. Then I got a cast for about a month.

They removed the cast a month later and the necrosis was still there. so the surgeon cut it away. there was a circular hole below it about 1.5 inch across. and about 0.5 inch deep. They gave me an aircast so i could walk a bit. Now about 8 months later the hole is slowly closing (still) and they removed one pin because it came loose. I'm going to a physical therapist now while i'm waiting to get orthopedic shoes.

By the time i'll be able to walk again a full year will have passed.

• Posted

Oh and i'm 28 i kinda know what you're going through

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.