Crutches

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why are we not issued crutches when pf is diagnosed. I have some after surgery and it occurred to me that using crutches means a lot less weight on your feet and even no walking possible on one foot. This would enable complete rest for the affected foot. If both are affected it would still help lesson the weight on your feet. You can purchase non-weight bearing crutches (under arm not elbow crutches) from the Internet quite reasonably priced. I saw some for £20.

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you make a valid point.  But nobody wants the burden of using crutches and if extreme cushioning of the heel solves the problem, why bother with crutches.  However crutches before surgery makes a lot of sense to me.  doknabox
    • Posted

Also resting enough can in some cases resolve the pf issue totally as resting definitely helps some. I just thought crutches might help this.
  • Posted

I've heard from others that they were recommended to use crutches to help during the "rest" phase of recovery from PF. Personally, I haven't used them for PF but did for a badly twisted ankle in high school - my recommendation to anyone using crutches: Be sure they fit you properly and you're using them the right way -- a lot of people rest their armpits on the cushions when their weight should be supported by their hands keeping the crutches close to the side. 

I would warn, for the less agile of us, crutches can be more harm than help - especially if you use them improperly - can lead to tripping, falling and additional injury. 

Good luck to all!

• Posted

Yes I agree with your comments and care is needed. I just meant when your feet are so sore that walking is a nightmare. After all you would use them with a broken foot bone. Gel heels did not work for me in the initial stages.

I would hope that when crutches are issued advice is given.

Usually when purchased all medical aids come with instructions for use. It is the responsibility of everyone to read instructions of any equipment before using it.

I have fallen using mine even with instructions but then I have fallen many times without them too. One of the causes of my falls was my flat feet that also was responsible for my pf

I go round in circles......

• Posted

Completely understand ... I know when I first had PF my thought was to have my husband cart me around like a rickshaw! I never tried the gel inserts, so don't know how effective they are - I got new (and proper) running shoes for my feet. (I looked at the walkers my doctor recommended, but just couldn't bear to wear them - they were just SO UGLY) ... luckily, I'm usually in running shoes anyway, so the change wasn't dramatic (though the improvement in my PF was). 

I was also terrible at wearing the night brace he recommended. I think I wore it twice. 

I am now about six months pain free and am back to running! So don't despair. You can come back from PF and return to normal!

• Posted

I also didn't like the shoes. I also got trainers. I wore a foot brace 24 hours for months to correct my gait and eventually I had surgery. Still recovering from second foot op. First was a big success. Hoping this one is too. Total feet reconstruction not just for pf. Pf in first foot gone. Fingers crossed.

• Edited

Chrisy Ive been on crutches for the last few days do to pain all through my foot. My foot has been throbbing for the last three days and its not allowing me to put any weight on my foot what so ever. I told my gp about this a few years ago when it was acting up and he did nothing. Thank goodness I already had a pair of crutches to get around on at the time. Getting around on the crutches do seem to help though. The only problem is I end up staying on crutches for several week til im able to get around with out having to be on the crutches.

• Posted

Hi Jason I also use crutches for flare ups. And like you I also put myself on them. It helps so much and I am thankful that I am able to get around even if it is on only one foot. I have found that going shoeless with only a sock on the affected foot is best for me. I sometimes am also on them for a few weeks to a month. I would love to chat sometime if you would.

• Posted

James I also found that was the only thing to help the pain subside in my foot as well. Even though it usually kept me on the crutches for at least up to three weeks or more. Ive had to go on crutches on several different occasions .

• Posted

Jason did you wear anything on your PF foot? Were you able to at least wear a sock?

• Posted

Yes I could put a sock on my foot if i wanted to . But most of the time i didn't . I just kept my foot sockless and shoeless the whole time and just used the crutches when i needed to get around on my left foot. But using crutches really helped me.

• Posted

I don't think they'll allow it but you can try it. I still am forced to use my crutches when the pain gets unbearable in my foot. So Ive been keeping my crutches close by . Because I never know when I'll need to be on mine for the day or multiple days.

• Posted

i am the same way. i have good days and bad days. somedays i have to hop on one foot till i can get to my crutches. i have arthritis in my foot and ankle as well so it can be bad. my # is

• Posted

I'm convinced though that mine is more than pf. Do to the fact I'm still having to use crutches for mine on bad days. Do to the fact that the pain for me is unbearable on a daily basis now. both through the top of the foot and the bottom of the foot as well. I also have arthritis in both feet but my right foot is the worse between the two. Its constantly hurting and some days I'm not able to put any of my weight on it. Those days I'm on the crutches all day long.

• Posted

I feel your pain Jason. Im actually having a bad morning today. my left foot in in a great amount of pain. I was out the door quick and by the time i got to work i was in so much pain. My shoe is off and my foot up on a chair. I had to hop around to get a few things. Im gonna get my crutches as soon as im home. Hey send me a quick text if you would so i can get your number before its deleted. Hope you have a better day with your foot then me.

• Posted

My right foot never stops aching me any more. If I were you keep your crutches close to you so when you have a day like you are today you don't have to hop to far from where your crutches are at the time. When I'm in throbbing foot pain I'll go to my closet right then and put them under my arms to get me the rest of the way to where I'm going . I'll usually prop them on the arm on the couch when i sit down. I do not lay them in the floor like some people will. And if need be take your crutches to work if you can bot walk on your bad foot at the time. Or just stay home so you are not on that foot all day long. I'm looking into getting an iwalk crutch it's a hands free crutch that will keep your hands free .

• Posted

I had an iwalk and i hated it. taking it on and off and its clunky. I think you will like the crutches a lot better. Just my opinion.

• Posted

I don't like the fact that i don't have my hands to use when I'm on my wooden crutches. I know the iwalk is expensive

but i can't do anything for myself when having to get around on my crutches. Like I told you earlier when I have to be in the crutches it's usually for several weeks not days. Not to mention what crutches can do to my has as well. Thank goodness I had gotten the the crutch covers for the top of my crutches and the hand grips .

• Posted

yeah i hear you. My friend has those millenial crutches i think they are called. man those things are great. was thinking about looking into a pair. They are so easy to use.

• Posted

look on ebay for them. That's where I got mine some years ago to replace the aluminum crutches i had at the time. I hated the aluminum crutches. Do to the fact they were noisy plus if you are using them in cold months they get cold and in the summer months they'll hot hot on you. That's why I switched to the wooden crutches.

• Posted

I agree wooden crutches seen a lot more stable. id like to get a pair of those too.

• Posted

Jason hows your foot today? Ive been hopping around on crutches since last night. Im wearing an aircast too today.

• Edited

Stay on your crutches as much as you can with it the way it is right now. Its been storming here so yes it has been aching on me more than it does without the rain. Yesterday I stayed off of it as much as I could after getting home. Luckily I didn't need to get out my crutches to get around . I haven't needed to be on crutches yet today either. It may be a different story later on. It has been known to just come out of no where when the pain hits me. Thats why I keep my crutches in my bedroom at all times so I can get to the quickly for when the pain does hit all of the sudden. But I am considering on contacting my gp to get ahold of the foot doctor the he recommended to me when I saw him last. dont what it to be bad enough that I to go into his office on crutches. So right now Im being very careful right now. I do have some throbbing that im feeling through my foot though. As well as some tingling through my toes right now.

• Posted

Yeah Jason i know what you mean. I dont try to get off them to soon when i am on them. I learned that is not smart. I will baby my foot for a while when the pain is bad. Its been raining here too so im hoping its more of the arthritis then the PF. But im guessing it is both. I have had people down play this from time to time and tell me that I dont need to use crutches and suck it up and all that jazz. They have no idea. It is such a relief not to put weight on my foot when it flares up. And I really can not wear a shoe of any kind on it. I went out for a bit today on my crutches and my left foot shoeless with a grey sock and a white aircast stirrup on it. Was asked a few times if had sprained my ankle, and my answer was I wish.

• Edited

A lot of people will make assumptions thinking you don't need your crutches. But you are the one that's feeling the unbearable pain. So you only know if you're needing your crutches not them. I've found that the only thing that helps me is my crutches as well. No otc drug helps what so ever. Just getting around on my crutches is the only thing that works for me. It has every time the pain gets bad enough that i cant put my weight on it what so ever. Crutches work like a charm for me and it sounds like thats the only thing working for you as well. Keep doing what you are . If the crutches are the only that that help you then stay on them as much as you need to. Id recommend using an ace bandage as well. Get a couple of them and wrap that foot you are using your crutches for. I do that with mine and it also help as well. While Im on my crutches. Also a froze water bottle help too. I keep one in my freezer to roll on the bottom of my foot.

• Posted

Now this morning is different for me. I am feeling the pain in my foot more today. So today I may have to start getting around on my crutches again. Usually when mine acts up like it is now I do have to put myself back on the crutches for the day.

• Edited

That sucks man. hopefully its only crutches for the day. Are you wrapping it up too? Talking about people not understanding how bad PF is, I was at a wedding a few years ago and was wearing some dress shoes. As the day progressed my foot got extremely painful. I was limping pretty bad and my friends Aunt came up and asked what was wrong. When I told her about the PF flare up, she goes into a nurse like mode. She was a sufferer of it as well she said. She had me sit down and she removed my dress shoe. She then gently massaged my sore foot. When it was getting late she said she would help me home if i needed. i said yes and I used her as a crutch and hopped out to her car while she held my shoe. She helped me hop to my apartment, went and got my crutches, wrapped up my foot and basically took care of me for the rest of the night. She said i might have to return the favor sometime. lol!!

• Posted

At least she knows what her nephew is going through and how it feels as well. She sounds so sweet. Especially with her going to get your crutches for you. Thats a big help to you. I always wrap mine when I am having to be on my crutches when mine acts up. If your aunt will help you with things while you're having to be on your crutches that would be awesome . I know she doesn't like seeing you have to be on the crutches at all. Stay home tomorrow from work if you need to. Especially if you can't go in with your crutches when you need them the most. Mine is also throbbing like crazy again today like it was yesterday . The throbbing never stopped yesterday. I almost went back on my crutches then. just to keep off of it.

• Posted

I think my aunt would the same for me if she saw i was hurting . I know she'd fuss at me if i didn't have my crutches with me when she knew I was in need of them. I tend to try and to without my but also know doing without my crutches is a bad idea if I was thinking about try to at a function like a wedding. I'd rather go to the wedding with my crutches than have it act up on me when I don't have them to go back on when needed. I could try to do without the crutches but at least would also know that my crutches are close by if i need them to get off my foot again. It'll be several weeks before yours will calm down I think . So don't make it fuss at you. Stay on your crutches as much as you need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.