Crutches for Life?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been looking at Hip Replacement since 2009 and been on crutches almost as long while I search for the proper implant for me.  Unless something better shows up in the next year, I would consider staying on crutches for the rest of my life. I am 64.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any problems that could occur from the long term use of crutches?  

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well I am not sure would want to be on crutches for the rest of you life, it wont happen that way....Dont be scared and just get it done...

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

Hi Ian:

Were you aware of the problems from artificial hip implants, such as those described by Donna2015 and Christine83627 a few days ago, before you got your hip done?

Mikey 

• Posted

Hi Mikey

You will never find a hip that will be right for you. I also agree with Ian's comment above. I promise it will be so worth it. Also if you do need a replacement new hips are being designed all the time. But no matter how long you wait they may just not be right for you. So plase just bite the bullet and get it done. Yes I have had loads of problems myself. But nothing that can't be fixed and help and advice will always be there for you.

• Posted

Hi Hailea:

All I wanted was a hip joint that would last the rest of my life without causing more problems than it solved.  

If I have to accept metallosis, aseptic loosening of the implant, bone loss, nerve pain, pseudo tumor, dead tissue from the metallosis, and more, in order to get a hip joint, then I have to seriously consider an alternative.  These things are not 'worth it' to me.

The principle appears to me to be: If you are in your 60's when you get your first implant, they expect you to be dead of other causes before your your revision causes a terminal solution.  They have no need to improve anything.  The implants have been around for over 60 years and they still can't get it right.  

Is it too much to ask, in this day and age, for a joint that lasts and does not cause other problems?  I didn't even know about these 'other problems' in 2009 when I first went to the surgeon.  Now i do.

So, my wife said that I should research the use of crutches longterm so I would know as much about the problems with the alternative as the implant.-thus my question about the longterm use of crutches?

So far the crutches are winning.

Mikey  

• Posted

That's a bit silly, what have you got to look forward to? Bite the bullet and join us Mikey! X
    • Posted

Hi Patricia:

Please check out the reply to Ian above about the 2 ladies mentioned.  It is not something that I would willingly and knowingly want to do to myself.  But most people don't know and nobody tells them.

All I wanted was a hip joint that would last the rest of my life without causing more problems than it solved.  

If I have to accept metallosis, aseptic loosening of the implant, bone loss, nerve pain, pseudo tumor, dead tissue from the metallosis, and more, in order to get a hip joint, then I have to seriously consider an alternative.  These things are not 'worth it' to me.

The principle appears to me to be: If you are in your 60's when you get your first implant, they expect you to be dead of other causes before your your revision causes a terminal solution.  They have no need to improve anything.  The implants have been around for over 60 years and they still can't get it right.  

Is it too much to ask, in this day and age, for a joint that lasts and does not cause other problems?  I didn't even know about these 'other problems' in 2009 when I first went to the surgeon.  Now i do.

So, my wife said that I should research the use of crutches longterm so I would know as much about the problems with the alternative as the implant.-thus my question about the longterm use of crutches?

So far the crutches are winning.

​Mikey  

• Posted

do it!! its scarey as ... but such a relief once the pain is gone. and thats coming from someone with long term chronic pain and post op problems. i still wouldnt go back because my hip doesnt hurt anymore. 

crutches for life...you'll incur more muscle wastage over time which will make the job of repairing your hip in the future much more difficult. the reason i have one longer leg now is because my muscles were utterly wasted and wouldnt have had the tone to hold the joint in place. Even if you use crutches to avoid the replacement, it wont work forever. eventually the pain will intrude on everything, including sleep. Before my op i wasnt walking, gardening, sleeping or other more intimate pasttimes. it was miserable. At 63 youre very young to be signing up for that. im 43 and it wasnt possible for me. 

i genuinely dont think a hip replacement is something you can put off forever. 

• Posted

Hi Helen:

Are you saying that one leg is longer because of what reason? I wasn't aware that bones shrink. Do they?

I responded to the people above, so I won't repeat it again.

When I walk with crutches, I walk normally and take just enough weight of the injured leg so that I don't limp.  I also relieves the pain that would come if I walked without crutches.  I should be able to maintain muscle tone like that, don't you think so?

Mikey 

• Posted

No implant will ever be as good as the original hip. Having said that if you need a hip replacement go get a private consultation and talk the different types of implant through with a top rate consultant. Then revert to the NHS. You will not stop the disease progression by using crutches and some muscle tone will be lost.
  • Posted

Good morning Mikey ... Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon at all and if so, what is the diagnosis ... do you any other medical issues?  are you in pain ?  except for walking, are there more restrictions to your mobilty?  just asking .... 

I agree with the others ... it will not get better and at some point the crutches won't be enough to give you quality of life .... maybe a wheel chair in your future?... grim thought ... come on over to this side wink- ask all the questions you want - in the emant ime, take care and big hug 

• Posted

64 seems a young age to be on crutches for so long already. I don't know what your personal hip problems are but I had my hips done when I could still walk without crutches.

There are pros and cons with the different types of implants - I've got two different ones - a metal with a plastic liner still working after 15 years (i'm 62 now) and i've just had ceramic on ceramic on the other hip.

My advice is research the surgeons. Once I was confident in mine I went with his suggestions. It is easy to worry about whether you have the right one - I've already seen cons for my ceramic one. However

I trust my surgeon and believe he would recommend the best for me. Sometimes you can just read too much - the internet can be dangerous!

For me I am so glad I have had both done. I would not have had the quality of life over the last 15 years if I hadn't had the first one and would probably be in a wheelchair. The last year has been difficult as the second got bad but now I am looking forward to being active again. Before the op I could barely walk half a mile - 2 days ago I did 4 miles - probably a bit much as my muscles were sore but it is so much better - I am only 8 weeks after.

• Posted

Well said Annedi

Regards

Ron

• Posted

Hi Annedi:

The Internet is just an encyclopedia for me to find the medical sites listed below for Markm49uk

Mikey.

• Posted

I suppose in the end it depends on what you think is the balance of any risk compared to the quality of life you want to lead. For me any risk was far outweighed by the life I've had over the last 15 years. I reasoned that I as I got older I would be doing a lot less but as a younger person I wanted and active life with no pain. in my mid 40's I had to stop going on holidays, couldn't walk far, had difficulty doing the garden I love and I have now had all those years being able to do those things. Having had another year of not being able to do them again I am now again looking forward to more years of activity.

I hope you come to a decision which you are comfortable with even if it's staying as you are!

• Posted

well it seems that my reply to Mikey for some reason went to the modirator have no idea why I never post anything offensive etc. but the well said Annedi I did not post and the Regards Ron was to Mikey very strange

Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.