Curvature of the spine??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I've recently noticed how there is a sort of lump at the bottom of my neck and just before my shoulders. I wish I could attach a picture because it is quite hard to explain. I done the worst possible thing and searched the internet for answers and reassurance and self-diagnosed myself to have very minor thoracic kyphosis. Does this sound correct? Should I visit my GP?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

If you are in steroids there is a possibility you could have the so called "steroid hump".My kind brother said I looked like a Brahma bull
  • Posted

As Gillian has said - if you are on pred it is much more likely to be the deposit of fat that is irreverently described as the "buffalo hump" and is a result of being on pred which encourages the deposition of fat in particular places. That is one of them. The others contribute to the moon face and to the rather apple-shape many people on pred develop.
  • Posted

Yes, Margaret, I have this too. Hopefully, as we reduce through the doses the hump / hump will deminish. Regards, tina

ย 

• Posted

Hi Margaret, as the others say it sounds very like a side effect of pred, the notorious buffalo hump. I cut out gluten and simple carbs as I had heard that this can stop the moon face, I am not sure if it stops the buffalo hump too. You may be a bit late now as the fat has already moved.ย 
    • Posted

I stoped the carbs and sugar just before prednisone and still developed the moon face mind you on a high dose comming up to 1yr and just reducing to 16.5mg. As my girlfriend said today she has see worse.๐Ÿ˜•
    • Posted

I am so sorry that you got the moon face, perhaps I was just lucky. Did you stop gluten too?ย 
    • Posted

Hi there

I stopped all obvious carbs, potatoes, rice, bread, cereal. No more my favorite pancakes and french toast which I'm known for. I only use a little flour in making cheese sause for vegetables other wise no flour. It is very hard to get rid of all carbs so you still get some. Very little fruit except blueberries, raspberries and some strawberries.I use to eat 1 watermelon a week on my own, my favorite.

I have every side effect of prednisone going and also very sensitive to it so my reductions are only 0.5mg at a time over 8 weeks and i need another month to stabilize. Very envious of those able to reduce.

• Posted

I think I managed to get more than my share of side effects too. I counted fourteen. I suppose that is not too bad out of eighty two! I had trouble reducing, but I think my rheumie suggesting 5mg at a time did not help and ignoring the fact I was finding it difficult.
    • Posted

The only thing my rumi is good at is reduction. As for caring about your side effects she doesn't care.

She looks at my 0.5mg reduction as moving forward which is good. She leaves everything to my GP.

• Posted

I make my cheese topping for veggies, moussaka and lasagne (made with courgettes) with an egg beaten up in greek yoghurt. Even my husband likes it - and it goes sort of souffle-like. It even freezes well.
    • Posted

Lord only knows what I said!!!!!! Egg beaten up in greek yoghurt as a substitute for cheese sauce - works for anything!
    • Posted

This sounds very interesting, is there a recipe.

I do a dip with balkin yogurt, mayonnaise, crushed garlic and chives that if you like garlic is awesome for dips or replacement for tiziki sauce. Almost equal parts individual size yogurt to mayo. I love garlic.

• Posted

That's right ladies, twist the knife! I'm on a diet and only allow myself sauce/dips once a week. However both recipes sound very tempting. Regards, tina
    • Posted

Sorry Tina, I've maintained my weight by cutting carbs and sugars but don't count calories but eat as much cheese, cream (dairy ) as i want as well as meat. I find i eat more veggies than i use to which is good.

I had to look up corgettes which we call zucchini. I make awesome tripple chocolate cake with them and now give to family and friends and admitt I've wanted to experiment with it in other ways and now will.

I use spaghetti squash to replace spaghetti and we like it very much.

We have to be inventive for this is life changing with PMR if we want to maintain our weight and not gain as well as reduce inflammation.

Thanks Eileen for motivating me.

• Posted

Hello, I have lost one of my three extra stone and like you have cut back on carbs, still eat them but only one carb per day so if I have sandwiches for lunch then no potatoes, pasta, bread or rice for dinner. I've also adopted a 2 day a week meat (including fish), 2 day vegan and 3 day vegetarian. Like your chocolate cake with zucchini, I've made a vegan one with beetroot and a cheesecake ย with advocardos. Also trying lots of recipes with pulses etc. Have a good day. Regards, tina
    • Posted

Typical - we call them zucchini here too but I thought no-one would recognise that! Your diet sounds very like what I eat - meat/fish/cheese as required, salad and other non-root veg ad lib! Thin slices of courgette replaces lasagne well.ย 

I just beat 1 egg into a tub of Total full fat greek yogurt and spread it over the lasagne or whatever. I use it to make cauliflower cheese (how British) as well. The original recipe I found years ago as a topping for moussaka included a teaspoon of cornflour to stabilise the topping but I don't find I need it. It sets a bit like quiche I suppose.ย 

Can't summon up the enthusiasm for vegan beyond the odd meal - though I should get interested as my granddaughter has just joined the ranks. She went veggie on ethical grounds but decided to go the whole hog as she was allergic to milk as a baby - and her asthma has improved a LOT!

• Posted

Im with you Eileen, i like my meat and had a leftover homemade bacon cheeseburger for breakfast. No bread just the burger etc. Have been up since 3am so didn't feel like eggs. Have a great day. I have to syart packi g the house we sold the toronto one. Moving to a very large condo for 1 year till we decide what to do.

Mariane

• Posted

I always feel the bread ruins the burger...

Have fun packing - I devoutely hope I never have to do it again! But don't make the mistake of thinking you don't need to throw things out because you have a LARGE condo. A good gauge is not to unpack - if after a year you didn't miss it - you don't need it. Simples...

• Posted

Our illness - whatever it is, forces us to make unbelievable changes - diet , life style, you name it!

i got used to that and make the best of everything!

Take care ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.