cyclizine thought I was dying

Posted , 13 users are following.

had injection of cyclizine for nausea during recent hospital stay.

Was asked if I was allergic but hadn't had it before.Immediately felt terrible, thought I was dying, heart rate up to 135 BP 200 even temp up to 38

Also felt reallysick Treated consevatively over the next 3 or 4 hrs, ecg and frequent bp etc. Dr. said antidote could have caused even more problems. Never want to go through anything like that again. Hope hospital records these allergies and informs drug companies.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I fell and hit my head and started vomiting and I passed out.

I had to be ambulances to the hospital and they gave me cyclazine which it turns out I'm allergic to and my heart beat went down to 70 and I flatlined For 10 seconds then it went back up to 189bpm,

it was so weird, I was paralysed in my arms and legs, I could feel myself being pulled out of my bed and the ceiling was covered in words, 

there was a orange light surrounding me  and then the doctors put an oxygen mask on me and my heart was okay but I was shaking and cold.

• Posted

The two reactions on this discussion board are not allergic reactions but rather known side effects of the drug. Firstly, if cyclizine is injected too quickly it *will* put up your heart rate significantly. This will make you feel terrible. The solution is to have the injection administered slowly, perhaps by diluting it first. Secondly, the so-called anticholinergic effect of the drug, may give hallucinations, confusion or other odd feelings in certain individuals.
  • Posted

This drug caused my Mum to be paralised and unable to walk for six months. The drug company managed to get a letter from the hospital saying they don't think the drug caused it so they dropped the investergation and would not look into it any further (As they would...) The hospital has edited notes and lied in many letters as it was given intravionously very fast (probably causing the effect). None of the doctors will admit it in writing although on the phone they say the drug caused it. Lawers want a win before investergating. I really am having trouble getting to the bottom of this grug and getting it exposed for how dangerous it really is, especally in the wrong hands who do not have the experiance on how to administer it correctly. If anyone has had a result from a case or investergating this drug, please let me know.

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer and after lots of proceedures had a radical hysterectomy by robotic surgery. I was given Cyclizine after the operation. This was injected slowly into my vein. However the nurse injecting was watching me closely and new he had to stop if I started to feel dowsy. Within seconds I started to go unconsious and my blood pressure dropped. The nurse stopped the injection. Later I was itchy all over and was baking hot. They gave me piriton. All my hospital notes now have allergy to Cyclizine all over them. I am 48 years old and have never been allergic to anything in my life before! When I mentioned to another doctor later on that I was now allergic to Cyclizine he said "I don't know why this drug isn't taken off the market as so many people have reactions to it!". Hope this helps!
  • Posted

I was in hospital for 3days and during this time I was given co-codamol for my severe pain ever 2hours which caused nausea and vomiting , the nurse decided to give me cyclizine for my nausea trough my IV its stang straight away and was painful whilest injected , she decided to go slower untill she decided to not complete the dosage. I could feel every drop go trough my body in pain! 5 min later I was left in the room to rest and my left side of my body got numb and paralysed , I had problems breathing and experienced oculogyric crisis' I started panicking and called the nurse , which led to, that I had to be monitored all night for heart rate and consciousness.

This drug is actually written of in some countrys ,in Europe and I have no idea why the uk keep using it ,since then All previous doctors that ask for my allergies I inform and they get just as shocked everytime and asks why I was given it in the first place as it's very strong....

• Posted

This never gets reported and when it does the drug company drop it instantly. There is only six reportings of this causing effects although hundreds have suffered. Amdipharm are only interested in Money not safefy. I know someone who took two years of fighting to get there case recoreded and you would not beleive what they had to go through. Even Jeremy Hunt got involved. The drug is very dangerous and has long life time lasting effects with concentration. Aslong as Amdipharm can sell this drug they are simply not interested in the damage it causes. They could make people aware of the administering procedure, change the label, even investergate but they refuse to even log cases. MHRA are usless and the most they did with all the proof from many people was send an auditor whith never concluded. Scary to think that anyone could be given this drug by someone who does not know the correct way to administer. They are playing with peoples lifes and its all about the Money. 
  • Posted

Literally had the same reaction today with IV cyclizine. Admitted with vomiting and gastro problems and though I have had cyclizine before orally with no effect the IV dose seemed to do the exact same thing as it did to you!

The nurse gave me it and didn't think anything of it (tho I am a midwife and I have given it before I had never seen an adverse reaction but new it needed to be given over 3 mins, she seemed to give it quickly).

Almost straight away I felt a tingle in the back of my throat and asked if it was normal then I joked and said I felt drugged up. I then felt really really off it and not right. My whole body was heavy, I couldn't see things properly and everything was moving slow. My heart was pounding in my chest, neck and abdomen. I new where I was but felt like I was going to lose consciousness unless I focused on staying awake. I demanded my obs doing and they were sky high, temp over 38, bp 155/107 (was 97/55 and pulse 135. I couldn't stand up to get on the bed. I had a feeling of impending doom and I honestly thought I was going to die. Hours of shaking and feeling ice cold and out of it. Took about 8 hours to feel effects fully resolve!

Feel traumatised!

Did you have any lasting effects??

• Posted

Long term consontration issues if you are lucky enough not to get guillain barre syndrome. It kills off the nerves although you would need to talk to a top doctor to get the facts in your case because the doctors dont really know to much about it and that is all down to the fact that you cant get it reported or registered. You suffered because you was probably giving 50ms in under five minutes and the doctor/nurse probably didn't even know that it had to be administered over five minutes, although when you complain I can guaranty that the statment comes back saying it was administered over five minutes.... This way the Hospital can cover up the lack of training and the drug company gets away with it again and if it does ever reach the drug company through the MHRA or yellow card, they will fob it off with it was probably an underlying issue with the patient. The grug company can then carry on making lots of money with hardly any reportings. There are thousands who have suffered and some with long term paralasis and consontration issues yet only six reportings and i think they had to actually die!!!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear all these stories about bad experiences with this drug. I was thinking of asking my doctor to prescribe it to me in tablet form because Dimenhydrinate no longer works very well for me when taken with pain medication. After reading all of this I think I might keep researching for other nausea medications. I guess it could also be completely different when taken orally though. lol I am not sure if it is an English thing, (guessing that from the one poster referring to her as Mum not Mom) but I noticed several posters write investergation and investergating. No er in there people, investigation or investigating in the correct spelling. But that would be my self diagnosed OCD & had that been the only error I probably would have ignored it but there were 7 in the small paragraph he posted!

• Posted

My husband given iv cyclizine after constant vomiting, he has prostate cancer. He was also given 50mg tabs to bring home, that evening he started hallucinating trembling could hardly speak & was very cold, he also has heart problems so I asked nurse if this would be ok for him to wich she replied yes. He had a few more after that night till I realised it was the tabs that were making him odd. I have stopped them for him now but he is still very ill. These are dangerous drugs

• Posted

Dangerous drugs that are making people rich! Every person who has a reaction should be listed as an adverse reaction to this drug, however there are only 6 listed.... Mine has been added after two years of fighting and even now I am not so sure it really is listed. Its one big cover up from the drug company Amdipharm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.