Cymbalta versus generic Duloxetine - I crashed badly

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been recently changed from Cymbalta to generic duloxetine.  Whilst on Cymbalta, I was able to cut down from 120 mgs daily to 90 mgs daily.  Now I have had to go back to 120 mgs as I have a terrible depressive crash very close to 3 pm every day.  I have always taken my full dose in one dose in the morning.  Now I am splitting it to avoid the 3 pm crash.  I asked my psychiatrist for Cymbalta specifically as in the US it is prescribed for fibromyalgia which I also have.  I had seemed to be improving on that front too and was hoping to get back to part time work but I have been more or less bedridden for the last two weeks.  Anybody else had problems with the switch over?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My latest prescription was generic stuff. Not noticed any difference but I am on pregabalin as well for pain.
    • Posted

Thanks for answering Ouchy (ouch right back at ya!  No offense meant.  I know all about pain unfortunately).  I'm on pregabalin too but I've been housebound and often bed-ridden for the last year or so but it's crippling fatigue that has lead to that.   I hope the pregabalin helps you and you continue to do OK on the generic duloxetine.
  • Posted

Hi Christine, yes I have had the same.  I am on 120mg for depression and anxiety, a few months ago my doctor switched me from cymbalta to a generic, I started getting brain zaps etc every day and have had to be switched back to Cymbalta.  My doctor said there may slight diiferences in the bonding agents which could cause these problems.
    • Posted

Thanks Mandy, I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and will ask if this is possible.  The local forumulary is pretty strict so I'll let you know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.