D&C any tips

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 49 and last August I had spotting so had biopsy and trans vag ultrasound consultant said no cancerous cells but they saw what could be a polyp or fibroid embedded in uterus so this January I've had a biopsy with hytroscopy like they suggested had the results saying there is a small possibility of cell changes so now I have to have a d&c for a better look and more sample of the lining I think 😭My question is I've never had anthestic and I'm slightly overweight and it's worrying me so with the worry of everything as any one had it with out be grateful for any information xx god bless you all 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kerry, the anesthesiologist wil talk to you and he takes all your medical history and every concern you have before the procedure . 

See this proceedure online  line to help you better cope with any questions you may have with the anesthesia process.

support from family and confidence in the doctor is helpful too!

Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice much appreciated god bless xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Kerry,

Like you, I was in my late 40's and needed to be sedated for the first time. I'm not a small girl either. I was so scared! (As we say in Massachusetts 'wicked scared.'  I tried all of my persuasive powers to get the procedure done awake, colonscopy asleep, spinal sedation.....No chance.

But the sedation actually wasn't a big deal at all. The worst part, truthfully, was the sore throat after the intubation. I had very little cramping and discharge afterwards. (I had a benign polyp removed.) 

There was actually sedation in stages. Once I had the IV inserted--for the first time ever--they put a little xanax or something in there to take the edge off.  So you don't get that sudden realization panic like "I'm getting operated on!"  You feel kinda like "OK, let's do this."

Then they take you into the operating room and add something else to the bag like propophol (sp?) that you would get for a colonoscopy.  You are then out and only then does the anesthetist put anything over your face or down your throat. 

I got some advice from the doctor who said that thinking positive thoughts about something right before you go in--you wake up in a good state. The doctor asked me "what's your greatest wish?" I said "a big raise" and he was pretty surprised since no one had ever said that. biggrin  

If you have time before the procedure eat well, walk a bit, and drink lots of water. Taking good care of yourself before hand helps with the healing afterwards. I was up and taking my regular 3 mile walk the next day. 

We're here for you! XXOO

• Posted

Thank You so much for your advice xxx I'm I. The uk I have a health check Friday and I will tell them my fears xx god bless you xxx

• Posted

Thank you maddy for the information good to know xxx god bless you xxxx I'm in the uk 🇬🇧 xxx

• Posted

Great advice, except for the drinking water bit (unless I've misunderstood).

DO drink plenty of water the day before the op, but I think you'll find you're nil by mouth from midnight on the night before.

To be completely honest as well, aneasthetic makes some people (me included) nauseous. This not to scare you, just to make you aware of the possibility. Many escape this side effect, but it would be a shock if you weren't aware it can happen.

The actual "going under" bit is fine. The pre-op medication they give you makes you drowsy and relaxed. Waking up is also fine - I thought it would be like waking up from a deep sleep and fighting your way to the surface (do you understand that sensation?) but it was fine for me.

Find out if you will stay in overnight - if not, make sure you have someone to look after you/check up on you at home.

• Posted

Yes, you are right, Anon68! Nothing after midnight the night before. I did sit down and have a big meal at 11:30pm since I am not a girl who goes without food!

The other thing I will add to Anon68's remarks is that waking up is fine. But how 'awake' you are can be a matter of degree. As she says, like fighting through a mental haze to get awake.

My doctor had a conversation with me after the operation telling me the polyp looked benign and I shouldn't worry. He was sending it to pathology and we would have official results in a few days.

Well, I was so out of it I didn't remember a word of that.  Yet he thought I was awake since I was talking. So now the rule for me is, if I can't name all the Kardashians in order then I am too sedated to talk to. biggrin  

• Posted

Thank You so much for the information I was told I would be a day patient I appreciated all the time and effort you have put in god bless xxx
    • Posted

Thank You maddy again I appreciate all the information you ladies or wonderful on here God bless xxxxx
  • Posted

I too am overweight (by 5 stone) and was terrified of having a general but the docs know what they are doing and monitor you all the way through. Your only asleep for approx 20 mins. I've been under three times in the last 12 months for other things including what your having done and all was fine.The anesthesis will talk to you before you go into theatre.

• Posted

Hi Kerry Not sure where you live, but im in the US and deathly afraid of anesthesia and had to have a D&C and a biopsy due to uterine fibroids. I talked to my doctor and I was able to have an epidural and twilight anesthesia. I don't remember a thing and my biopsy was sent to Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphis PA and checked out fine. 

• Posted

Thank you angel I'm in the uk 🇬🇧 I will ask on Friday great information not sure if I have the choice but will definitely ask xx god bless you xxx

• Posted

Kerry, I'm also in the US. My father had a difibulator put in his heart and they were able to do an epidural and twilight anesthesia also. His heartbeat was too slow to be put under. Just wondering if you could inquire?

• Posted

Thank You lotti I will look into that thanks for the information god bless you xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.