d-mannose 1st time user for uti

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago I started to have a feeling that I might have a UTI. It only would last like 10 minutes and then it would go away. Then the next day I had something similar happen where I had a feeling that I might have a UTI but it just lasted a short time. Then on Sunday I could tell that I was getting one for real. I was determined to try to find it myself and came across some articles about d-mannose. On Monday I started d mannose and have been taking it since...500 milligrams every 2 to 3 hours except at night time. My bladder is feeling better it does not burn when I go potty but I'm having an aching in my lower back. In the past when I had bladder infections I've had achiness in my back ut I don't feel sick at all and I only feel the achiness in my back when I bend down to pick something up. Should I keep doing what I'm doing or is it time to go to the doctor I just don't want this to get out of hand but I really want to give this d- mannose a try. Is there anything else I could be doing I'm drinking a ton of water and taking vitamin C if there's anything else I can do I would love the advice. This is my first time taking d mannose for a UTI so I just don't know how long it will take for my symptoms to completely go away. thanks in advance for all your help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When i know i have an infection i go to the doctor as it has spread to my kidneys in the past which is not pleasant, i would go and get a prescription and have it on hand incase the d mannose does not work, at least have a doctor test your urine to see how severe your infection might be, if it is only mild im sure the d mannose will flush it out but if it is building you may need medicine to help
    • Posted

I might just do that! Good advise. In your experience with taking d-mannose does it take more than a day and a half of taking it before you have absolutely no symptoms?
    • Posted

I have never used d mannose to cure an infection and i never would, i only recently came across it, i had a uti at the beginning of may and cleared it with antibiotics and i started taking d mannose as a preventative measure and my uti came back within 2 weeks, i had sex on a sunday morning and woke up with a uti the following monday morning so perhaps i got reinfected due to being intimate but i have a niggling feeling the d mannose just helped the infection come back so soon, i had a bad experience in 2012 where it went into my right kidney, there is no side effect of antibiotics that can be mentioned that will put me off using them to clear infections as i would rather protect my organs then to be 'hoping' something 'might' work, its too much anxiety for me to deal with and stress can make uti's worse, im sure people have had success and are keeping infections at bay with d mannose but the bacteria could be just hanging out in there and the d mannose is just not making you feel symptoms, i think i will be sticking to my cranberry tablets, vitamin c and immune support supplements to keep them away, if one flares up unfortunately its back to antibiotics, its not ideal to take such heavy medicine everytime but what can you do, im just not convinced d mannose is the holy grail cure everyone online has been praising, alot of reviews can be advertising based too lureing you online to buy a certain brand of it too so make sure you do your research carefully
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your info and experience. Will be visiting the dr this evening. Thanks again!! smile
  • Posted

I don't know where you live but a lot of pharmacists in the UK are refusing to sell d-mannose and GP's are asking patients not to take it because some research has shown that the bacteria in the urine is feeding on the protein in d-mannose and causing more problems. I read a post on this forum about a week ago where someone when a pharmacist had refused to sell it. I know it can be bought in health food stores but I think there's a possibility there are going to be restrictions on the sale of it. Go to your doctor, don't hang on hoping something that hasn't been prescribed will work.
    • Posted

Interesting!!! That is good to know! I have read so many positive reviews about it, darn. Thanks for your input!! smile
    • Posted

D-mannose is a sugar, not a protein. Do you have a link? Google does not know of these cautions, and d-mannose has worked well in a clinical trial

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.