Daily nausea for 3.5 Months

Posted , 7 users are following.

I really need help. I've had daily nausea in waves, for 3.5 months. It started one day after a friends birthday dinner in March. Half of the people that had attended got sick (so I'm assuming there was something with the food?). A week later, everyone was back to normal but me. I had been experiencing daily nausea. 

I went away to visit my brother at his school in Oswego, New York in Feb (prior to the March incident). On the second day of travelling, I was so nauseous that I had to take gravol. It lasted for a few days and got better when I got home. This nausea was accompanied by green diarrhea. For about a few weeks I was feeling fine, and then the whole birthday dinner thing happened. 

We went to the doctor in March and he told us to keep waiting and take probiotics. I took them for a while but they weren't making a difference, so we went back to the dr. He booked an ultrasound, and we went. They found something, so we went for an MRI. Everything on the MRI came back normal.

Now I don't know what to do. I threw up the other night, and I'm not sure if it's related, but it's the first time in the 3.5 months of this nausea I've actually thrown up. Once a wek, before bed, i'll feel so nauseous (borderline about to throw up) that I have to take gravol to force myself to sleep.

I've been tested for H Pylori (negative) and have had done blood-work multiple times. All normal. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Is it mental? Is there something else wrong?

I'm not hungry. I'm losing weight, and I'll add i'm a type 1 diabetic. We're going to see a gastroenterologist next month, but I'm going on vacation to the bahamas before my appointment. I'm worried about travelling and this ruining my trip.

Any advice? Anyone in a similar boat? Thank you. 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, maybe it is a bug you have. I suggest you get a second opinion, let me know how it went.
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm just wondering how long a bug could last for.. 3.5 months seems long. Thank you!
    • Posted

A bug can live in a person for a long time it's pretty much a parasite meaning it lives off of you, i'd you have a bug you may be given a pill to take it may be quite strong but it hopefully get rid of it if so. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi

It sounds like some sort of a bug - have you had a course of antibiotics?  You say you have been tested for H Pylori - what method was used - breath test/stool test or endoscopy - it is possible for them to be false negative - maybe you could request a retest.  Have you had an upper endoscopy which would show whether there is any inflammation in your stomach which could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.  If  you are seeing a gastroenterologist soon hopefully you will get some answers and if you haven't already had an upper endoscopy he will probably request one.

Wishing you all the best and a quick resolution of your problems.

• Posted

Thanks Debbie! He did an H Pylori test via my bloodwork. I haven't had any antibiotics.

I haven't done an upper endoscopy as of yet. I think I will have to get one though when I see my gastro doc. He talked to me on the phone briefly about wanting to do a scope.

A homeopath who is a family friend said it could be due to low acid. Thanks again!

• Posted

The blood test for H pylori is pretty good if you have never been treated for it. Hopefully you will get more answers once you have seen your gastro doc.
  • Posted

Hi,

That's a long time to feel that without any answers . It might not be that living in Canada would delay you having a sample taken  but depending on the Province, it might. There are many forms of food poisoning depending on what you ate and where it was from. You may have a weaker tolerance than the others since you are diabetic and take longer to heal. Try eating a bland diet for now and limit  spice etc.to see if that helps. Ginger helps me somewhat. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.