Dark green stools

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking ferrous sulphate for nearly 2 years now and having been having blood tests every 2 to 3 months when I'm told that my levels are just on the right side of the borderline but because I still have regular periods and in my early 50's they want me to continue on them. I have mentioned on numourous occassions that my stools are always a very dark green but they don't seem too concerned yet in the info leaflet it says that if your stools are dark that you should mention it to your Doctor. I am getting so paranoid about it that I dread going to the toilet. Does anyone else have this problem? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think they tell you to tell your doctor because it can make you constipated and cause stomach upset but if you've just got dark stools it shouldn't be anything to worry about!! Sorry for too much info but mine are sill jet black and I've been on them since July, sometimes it helps to have them before meals (on an empty stomach) which I have done sometimes and it's gone to a green colour.

Don't worry it's just the iron supplement its nothing to worry about unless you've got upset stomach and constipation and even then it's nothing bad. smile hope this helped!!

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I know it's such an embarrassing subject but it does concern me. I do have IBS symptoms too and have to take a gastro capsule daily and suffer with anxiety so this is why the Doctors don't take it that seriously I think 
    • Posted

@ Kaz how do u feel when u have taken da tablets on an empty stomach? ma doc ddnt specify when i shud take dem
  • Posted

Hi Kaz

I had a fasting bloods about two months ago and was found to be quite anaemic and was put on ferrous sulphate capsules.  My stools went jet black and I got alternating constipation and diarrhea.  Today I went to my gp for a monthly check up and she said all this normal, but is continuing to test me as my condition improves.  To my delight she also said that I could come off the iron capsules when I'd used up my current prescription.  It will be a relief to do without the side effects of the iron, just hope I don't slip into anaemia again.  Anyone got any dietary tips for keeping iron levels up?

Lizzie

• Posted

If you find out Lizzie please let me know I'll be coming off mine soon and really don't want to get anaemia again! I'm currently taking a multivitamin called active woman from my protein and they give you 100% of your iron so if I keep taking them (when I remember) I should be ok maybe have a look on their website x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.