Dark Thoughts

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, 

I have had PF since August this year and I am contstant agony.  

I am taking anti inflam and 2x co-codamol every 4 hours and its not helping, I can still feel the pain.

I am having some very dark thoughts as I just dont know how I can carry on like this.

Dr has been useless other than to give me drugs.

PLEASE HELP.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

You need to go onto the internet & find some stretching exercises. Also get yourself a bottle of water & freeze it, every night while your sitting down roll your foot over the bottle, stretching the arch of your foot as you do it, it won't fix it but it helps. I'd also keep pushing your doctor for help, PF can last for years, you really don't want to be suffering that long. My partner has had it 3 years now, the exercises have helped & after 2 cortisone injections it's a little better but he is now waiting for an operation called PF Release to fix it.

• Posted

Hi Laura I know exactly what you mean it's so painful and curtails what I can do; used to go out at least 5 times a week and now I'm scared to as it makes the pain and swelling so much worse when I've been walking (hobbling) on pavements.  Like you I'm taking lots of painkillers which help a bit I suppose, dread tyo think what it would be like it I didn's take them.   It's affecting my entire foot including my ankle and now my toes too and it causes difficulty in sleeping.  GP seems to think we should just pit up with it; bet they wouldn't say that if they had it!  Had to cancel holiday as wouldn't have been able to walk!   Good luck!
  • Posted

Wear 'night splint' boots in bed from Amazon or some such retailer-they have improved my condition from intolerable to manageable. Wear them to sleep and they keep the tendon stretched and allow it to heal a little over time-def recommend you try these out- quite inexpensive aid/treatment.
  • Posted

Thank you for your quick replies.

I bought the night splints and have been wearing them for about 8 weeks - no change.

I have done various stretching inc water bottle and bean can.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Laura

I really do sympathise as people who have not experienced it just don't know how terrible the pain is.

With me at its worst it is constant severe pain when resting and excruciating when moving. Sometimes I get a false sense of relief when the pain goes at rest only to find it twice as bad when I try and stand up!

I am not a medic but believe co-codamol is a pain killer but not an anti-inflammatory, and I think the key to relief is to reduce inflammation. I find keeping the foot in a bowl of very cold water for at least 30 minutes several times a day, and taking anti-inflammatories such as Naproxen or Indpmetacin can help.

I know nothing seems to work and unfortunately there is no quick-fix with PF.

My thoughts about doctors are the same as yours!

• Posted

Has no one been offered surgery like my partner? I know he is in a lot of pain & I'm praying this will fix it.
    • Posted

Many horror stories out there about PF release surgery and that it just doesn't work very often. Then, you have more complications and a plantar fascia that has been sliced.  Yikes.
  • Posted

No-one has mentioned surgery to me.

I am meant to be having NHS physio but apparrently they dont actually thouch the foot

• Posted

He had physio, they showed him exercises to stretch the heal & put k-tape on his foot. It helped a little but not much. The k-tape gave some relief, it warms up when rubbed on the foot. He has also had 2 cortisone injections, the 1st one was brilliant, he was pain free for 3 months but then it came back, the 2nd injection hasn't worked so well.

The surgery he is having is his last hope. The doctor said if you imagine a rasher of bacon with a strip of fat along it, the strip of fat stops it stretching too far, but if you make a small cut into the fat you can stretch it further, this is the same as the tendon, it has lost its elasticity so they will make a cut in it to allow it to stretch further. This will stop the pain apparently.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I know he's in agony.

• Posted

PF is truly miserable and what you are going through is normal for anyone with a severe case.  No one who hasn't had it can understand how truly miserable it is.

If your dark thoughts are serious enough, then you should seek professional help for that.  I've had severe PF in my left foot for 18 months and right foot for 14 months and have had times throughout of depression and misery.  It ruined my quality of life for awhile and now finally it's better enough (but still there) so I can be more active.

Just know that you WILL eventually get better but will need to exhibit a lot of patience.

RELEASE SURGERY SHOULD BE THE LAST RESORT!  It has been documented to work only in rare cases and it is a MAJOR surgery and there are lots of horror stories out there about it.  Stick to conservative methods, especially because you haven't had that long (it may feel like you have) in the world of PF.

Best of luck.

• Posted

My partner was told by his doctor it is not major surgery, In fact he won't even be in hospital overnight. After 3 years of agony & trying everything he is willing to give anything ago.
    • Posted

Best of luck to him, then.  I looked into it after a year of PF and was told "oh goodness, no, that's not the answer" then researched it and found out why.
    • Posted

Well after 3 years of excruciating pain you would try anything. I am worried but he's being sent to the best surgeon in this field. There can be complications but that goes with all surgery. My sister has just had life saving brain surgery to remove a mass of clots from her brain, the surgery has taken her eye sight away. My partner says if she can fight that then he can fight this. I wish the other treatments had worked but they haven't.

There is a light at the end of tunnel, it's just very painful getting there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.