Day 1 - things have to change

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have decided to join this site in hope to get support from people, who too, are trying ot quit drinking, to get a better quality of life. I have been drinking a bottle of wine every night for years now and every now and then can be two. I have never understood why I wanted to drink at night until recently. I think It is to drown out the reality of being a single parent and not having a partner in my life. I can't do this anymore as it is clouding my judgement on the people I date (I have so much bad luck in this department), it makes me feel tired the next day and unable to think properly at work and recently, I have noticed I have been feeling depressed. I can't say that it has gotten in the way of my relationship with my child as I make sure he doesn't see me drinking most of the time. The only way it would affect our relationship is by taking my time away from him at night because I get tired and too relaxed to do anything with him. Can anyone identify with this situation? If so, it would be great to hear your story.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle...So very sorry to hear your situation but you've come to the right place chuck. Can't help you with a story, mine wouldn't be relevant, but I know there are others here who will feel your pain and have more input and better advice than I. You've taken a small step by coming here and the advice you'll recieve will be supportive and hopefully constructive. You are by no means alone.In fact, you're one of a large group who all felt as you do once upon a time. So very glad that you're so considerate of your child, it's going to be an important stimulus to your recovery. Well done to you for seeking advice in a place where you can find it...whether it'll help though will remain in your hands.

I guess things just got serious. Keep thinking as you are now, even if it's after a few drinks. Nothing gets done overnight but it's important to stay positive. Good luck to you. Z

• Posted

You noticed that you are not happy anymore and that you want to change, and that is already the first step. Sorry I can't help you much at the moment, but on this website are many good stories of recovery.
  • Posted

I am not married and dont have children but i do understand depression, let me know if you want to talk about it. As for wanting to quit i could suggest an app called alcochange, it helps you drink steadily less till youre able to quit completely. It lets you set your own goals each day and congratulates you when  you complete it. Its not much but its still nice, 
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I'm not married and don't have any children either, so you do have someone in your life who depends on you - that's a goo start.

When I was a social drinker - beer or wine wth friends or workmates, having no more than a glass or two of wine at home with food a couple of times a week, a few bottles of beer while watching Match of the Day and a bottle of wine shared with dad on a Sunday, I never understood why people who didn't drink didn't.

But now, hopefully on the understand of what was becoming a heavy addiction, where I have had a very genuine and on-going health scare, and could possibly have lost my life to alcohol, I really do uderstand people who choose not use alcohol.  It's got to be the most dangerous widely available drug for many varied reasons.

It won't be easy for you or me, Michelle, but it's got to be worth you best shot.  Your child is bound to notice the change and the rewards to you could be immeasurable.

I can't promise that I won't drink again, and even only four days in i really does feel like 'one day at a time'.

But let's give it a go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.