Day 11 of increased dose- stick with or change???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi after 16 years on 75mg venlafaxine with no problems I have had a relapse and doctors have increased the dose from 75mg to 150mg and then 225mg.

persevered with the 150mg for 4 hellish weeks but Christmas knocked me back and have now been on 225mg for 11days with no improvement.

I feel as though i am stuck between a rock ans a hard olace as if i ask to change tabs ill need to go through the whole " kickung in. Process" sgain!

Any advise- stick with for 4 weeks or request a change???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline

My experience has been that you can generally tell by about 14 days in whether a drug is good for you, or not. I have been on 300mg Venlafaxine for over 12 months now and seriously considering the dreaded drug change. I also take 45mg Mirtazapine at night, which I have had for many years, unfortunately menopause has massively impacted my wellness, hence the added venlafaxine.

Whilst I definitely notice a significant improvement in the anxiety taking 300mg (over 150mg), I find that I have far less side effects if I can manage on a lower dose, and btw this drug is known for brain zaps if you miss a dose or forget to take it at the usual time (same with desvenlafaxine).

Did you keep taking it? How did it go?

I tolerated the higher dosage of venlafaxine, but was originally on desvenlafaxine, and when my psych put me up to the 300mg I got really sick. Vomiting, diarrhea, and generally feeling hellish. Suffice to say I didn't last long. Be interested to know how others find this medication.

• Posted

Wow...sorry for your bad experience! Change doctor perhaps...why on Earth would they keep you on 75mg for 16 years? In that time did they ever try to go higher? And if youu were symptom-free in the last 2 years why did they not consider attempting to taper off? I mean...was anything attempted since you were given 75mg 16 years ago? And why the heck would they up you straight to double dose if that is how it was done?

You did not have a relapse. You were either undermanaged or wrongly managed. They made a mistake. What is the diagnosis you were treating for 16 years on 75mg pls?

And what was the'relapse' like? Were you suicidal at any point?

Hoping you can get this sorted fast and feel better soon!

• Posted

Docs advised my brain was not producing enough serotonin as when I tried to gently reduce I went straight back to major anxiety. I stayed on for 16 years as they worked brilliantly.

Not sure why anxiety kicked back in after all this time and docs have referred me to mental health clinic and advised to try mindfulness which I am doing. Not suicidal but extremely down and no notion for food at all. Back to Docs in a week as that will be 4 weeks on higher dose and if no improvement will demand a change

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.