Day 11 of taki g 10mg of Citalopram and feel much better

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've suffered anxiety and panic attacks for the past 3 months and now started 10mg of Citalopram which the first 5 days where awful, sweats, worse panic and anxiety, no appetite and not much sleep but the 6th day onwards it passed and from not being able to go out of the house for a week I have been i to the busy town shopping and out and about and it's given me lots more confidence. Anyone just starting on Citalopram please stick with it, it is well worth it

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Debbie

I am glad to hear that I am on day 5 and the symptoms are terrible. My anixety is through the roof. Before starting I didnt have anxiety now I do. I am trembling not sleeping. I am looking forward to it passing. Otherwise. I was bookings myself in hospital as I didn't know what was happeing. Scary stuff.

Renee

• Posted

Hi Talyren42 yes my anxiety wasn't too bad but went through the roof the first 5 days and I shook a lot and couldn't leave the house but I'm sure you will get through it and you've done great sticking with it up to now. Well done I know how hard it can be

• Posted

Hi. I'm started 5mg of citalopram and 4th day today. Just back from clinic. so jittery and anxious. Doctor wasn't helpful.... I saw your post and I'm glad to hear that. I will stick with it....

• Posted

Hi eily23659 I started on 5mg on the first day but didn't want to prolong the side affects so started 20mg next day and still on 10mg on day 11 I've had 6 good days and it's fave me time to be able to concentrate now and I'm not letting this beat me you will get through it too it's just hard at the beginning but you will reap the benefits

• Posted

Hi, thanks for reply. I'm still jittery and don't know what to do. Trying to relaxzation, breathing,.... but doesn't work at this moment... so, I took nap. It's so hard to stick with it, but I wanna be better!!!!!

• Posted

Yes I was the same and when I woke in the night panicky I made myself breath deeply so my tummy inflated fully a few times and it did help. I have a telephone number of a group called no panic and it is a recording of one of the volunteers telling you how to relax its really good, she reassures you that you will be ok the number is 01952 680835 its very comforting you can call it anytime
    • Posted

Thanks. I was thinking to stop taking this meds and your comment helped me. I think it's takes couple days to a week to rid of this feel, and I should stick with it. I never had this jittery and so uncomfortable. I have to think I can do this!!!!!!

• Posted

Yes you can do this I got through it and never thought I would but I helped myself too and made myself walk around the block where I live which was scary but felt great after then I branched out more. Your sleep will get better too I take my tablet about 8 at night and I felt very grotty at first on a morning but it got better, I have a 3 year old boy and I'm much better with him too, hope you call that pre recorded message if you need to it helps

• Posted

My sleep is getting better. It's true. I was so focus on negative side effects, but some already felt better. I have to be strong! Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Great to hear the good news and thanks for shariing as we don't get too many good stories so soon when taking this stickiing plaster for the brain.  For many it is a longer journey.

One word of advice, just be aware that you still may get the odd blip which may set you back, but it may not be much as you have taken so well to it.

Excellent news in a troubled world!

Thanks again for the post.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David yes I did realise it was quite soon feeling ok and I'm. It feeling better as back to my old self yet it's just the panic and anxiety that has got a lot better. Your right there's not enough good stories and when your feeling anxious looking at bad reviews doesn't do much for your confidence but god luck

• Edited

Hi. Hope it's ok to comment on this post. I started 10mg citalopram yesterday (been on it before) my anxiety today is so so severe I'm actually really frightened. I'm very shaky, extremely tense, and just feel downright awful. I also get short dizzy sort of spells that only last a few seconds. My chest and my throat feel warm too.

I really want to carry on with these but I'm so so frightened of how I feel right now. No appetite at all struggling to sleep as my anxiety is so high. I'm hysterical because Im so anxious 😭😭

• Posted

Hang in there, I feel like that. Its day 7 for me. Just woke now and feel terrible. You just dont want to face the day. What keeps me going is these post as I know we will all get through it.
    • Posted

Hi Claire Ive been on 10mg a while ago and I felt the same worse anxiety etc but after 5 days much better and now day 12 a lot better and trying to do the things i don't want to do which after I've gone them it feels great. Stick with it and I have a number of a group I used to ring called no panic and it has a pre recorded message telling you how to breath properly and it reassures you it's really good it's a landline number 01952 680835

• Posted

Thank you so much for the replies. I'm scared to sleep and scared to be awake! I just want some relief! My anxiety has been severe for the past 4 weeks, the 5 weeks previous were more manageable. I came off citalopram after being on it 4 years then doc put me on sertraline and things went downhill. Then I was on nothing for 2 weeks until going back on citalopram yesterday. Feel like I'm losing myself, I don't want to be so scared but the anxiety is so intense 😭 Xx

• Edited

Welcome to The Club Claire33434!

You know it does help to know you are not the only one to be going through this and you are not alone!

The side effects you mention are what most of us have been through, I can certainly relate to almost all of them.

It is Cita beginning to do its job, no one can put a time on how long it takes because we are so uniquely different and we don't all get the same side effects or the intensity of them either.

Right now it feels total cr*p doesn't it, almost that you cannot cope, but all anyone can say is hang in there it will get better, don't look back to the person you were look forward to being a better person.  

Let this sticking plaster for the brain make the repairs that it needs to do.  As for the anxiety, in didn't think I had it, but girl!  Was I wrong I got hit with angst and panic attacks like it was a steam train and couldn't go out for weeks on end and then when I managed to step over the threshold my partner (now Fiancee) came with me.  Sometimes I didn't even make it much further than the front gate, but it was little steps each time and I eventually was able (mentally) to build on that.  It was here, on the forum, that I learnt that sometimes Cita causes anxiety or an increase in it, to be able to treat it properly!  Great eh, not!  However, after it passed thinks did start to get better, I increased my dosage (under GP supervision) and each time I did the side effects lessened and I eventually levelled out.  It does not matter what dosage you are on eventually you will level out.  There is a certain amount of self help you can do as and when you feel up to it and one of these is changing (if need be) your lifestyle.  Healthier ingredients, eating, exercise will all help towards a healthier mind.

So, for the time being keep posting, asking and reading and you gradually find some positivity amongst all this current cr*p!

We are here to help you because, you are not alone!

Regards,

David.

(PS I found an emergency duvet in your favourite room outside the bedroom very handy for those days when you just make it out of bed, but that is about it, or you try and go out put cannot get passed the door or just feel yuk!  Crawl under, curl up and let the horrors subside!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.