Day 6 post tkr

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey all

Well l have to praisw some of you and apologise for not listening how dient and much harder the knee replacement was comopaired to the hip replacement.

The pain was unvearable for 3 to 4 days but l am home now and its still really sore but getting there. I find it really hard sitting on a chair. The brusing is starting to come out now and lying on the couch is my comfortable place. Getting on and off the couch is the hard part. I can walk about the house without using my sticks now. But its still very sore and it was a lot worse than my hips. I get my staples out on tuesday and the wound looks clean and neat but itchy as anything. But its done now. And l am not rushing to get the other one done. Lol

But thanks for the advice you were right.

Laura

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Laura Good to hear you're making progress. No it's not a walk in the park but in time it all fades into the background and normal life begins again. 4 months post op and getting there slowly but surely walking and exercising every day. It really does get better. Taking my 1st holiday since op and flying to Spain on Tuesday . Never thought I'd see the day! Keep up the good work and stay positive,

• Posted

Hi Nuala, I've just got back from my 1st fly holiday and I'm just turned 4 months po. Just 6 hours ago! I was absolutely fine, kept high factor sun screen on the knee. Walked in the pool, and had more steps to climb than at home. No problem at all. Just a little swelling of my FOOT on the return journey. Enjoy your holiday!!

• Posted

Thank you Lucie, so glad all went well for you. Am hoping the same.knee still swollen and hurts climbing stairs but I put up with it and keep going. Thanks again, looking forward to sun sea and siestas. 😊

• Posted

Glad you got through everything ok and are on the mend!

It gets better as time goes on, so keep positive! Rest as much as you can. Healing happens when we can rest/ sleep.

Come here often for lots of support from all who have gone through it. Misery DOES live company!😀🙌😁😊

• Posted

Misery DOES love company!

Auto-correct drives me CRAZY!😵😨😲😱

• Posted

Be very careful about giving up your assistive devices too soon. Remember, this is a process that has to be worked through and trying to rush it is a recepie for disaster. A fall is dangerous and could set you back. Slow and steady. Remember to hydrate almost to the point of being excessive. Ice every time you can remember to as it will help with the pain
  • Posted

Well glad your home Laura, yes I told you I had both knees done june- Sept 2014 and pain wasn't that bad! Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it ! Sorry you've had a rough time but it will only get better. Hope you decide to get the other one done, I was ready at 3 months. Still amazing to have two working knees. Now the work begins, physical therapy that is. I'm at 4weeks RTHR just getting to walk without crutches. Keep us posted on your progress. Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave

I am thinking a 4 month break before l get other knee done. I was totally diffrent with my hups l was desperate to get my other hip done 4 weeks after 1st one. And the other hip op was totally diffrent from the 1st one it was easier in hospital l could move the leg right away the only problem l had was back pain and l think this was to do with my body realine itself as my posture was diffrent and walking was diffrent and everything seemed to be going great then my left knee started swelling and it got worse as time went by. Thats why l went and got an xray and found out l needed 2 new knee's my right knee still feels fine but that me had my left one done. And Dave l think you are slightly right now as the pain is just the same as hips everyday its getting easier l am already forgetting how painful it was when l woke up. But l blame the nurse as l had a morphine pump in that you control yourself that you keep pressing the button but you can't overdose on it as it has a cut of point that only gives you a dose of so much then cuts of but the nurse that night said to me so many times don't keep pressing that or l will have to take it if you if yiu press ot to mum. I got paranoid and when she came in like an hour later and l was crying l would say to her l have not pressed it and she would say well done l can see that. Now l think about it makes me angry that the full point of having these pumps is so you can control your pain and she was telling me not to press it so l was in so much pain because of this l blame her. As l said to one of the other nurses is there a reason why she would tell me not to press it or l would get it taken off and they said no thats the craziest thing ever. So l blame her for letting me suffer that 1st night to the point l was crying so much they gave me a morphine jag on top of me having a morphine pump because obviously l had not been using it thinking l was doing well by not pressing it.

See when l think about it now l had the same morphine pump for my 2 hip replacements and was told to press the button as much as l wanted. Thats why l probably think the knee was a lot worse than my hips.

Am angry now l spent the 1st night in so much pain but l was that spaced out with the general anasthetic that l was just doing what l was told but ended up in so much pain l. Was screaming and crying begging them to take the pain away and thats when diffrent nurses came in and they decided to give me a morphine jag to calm me down.

Laura x

• Posted

Hi Laura, why do need to get other knee done if you have no symptoms? No pain? My knees were so bad when I finally got surgery done that I really couldn't walk without crutches. Right one first, the surgery returned my leg to the length it had been, which was a good inch longer than the left one. They had Me so drugged up after first surgery I wouldn't have known if I was in pain, 4 days in hospital and then they stuck me in some rehab facility. Finally home after like 9 days, but still don't remember any serious but pain. Just pretty Shakey. I can't believe they left you in pain, I know some nurses seem really desensitized to the patient. Well glad to hear you're through the worst of it.

So they see problems with the right knee but it doesn't hurt ? I'm not sure I'd be too quick to sign up for that one. I didn't have much choice really. One good knee doesn't help that much when the other one is no good.

Anyway, a speedy recovery to you. The physical therapy is so important. Doesn't really take that much time. Two hours a day 3 days a week. Good luck,. Dave

• Posted

A nurse with that attitude should have been reported to a supervisor immediately. Dr's order those for a reason and They are perfectly safe as they control meds without the authority of an over bearing b***ch of a nurse trying to over ride the physicians directions.

Years ago I was having some inpatient dental surgery done. My room mate in the hospital was a fellow about my age and both of our last names started with the same 1st 3 letters. His back was injured when a scaffolding collapsed and he took a short fall on a pile of rubble. His Dr ordered back x rays. The arrogant nurse came in and ordered me to get I'm the wheel chair to go to Dr at. I kept telling her she was getting the wrong guy and she yelled and ordered me to go or she would get security ( that would never be allowed today) . I went but told her I'd have her a** before it was all said and done. Next morning his Dr came in and I politely apologized for interrupting his consultation but would like to know what the back X Rays showed because they were my back and not Tony's. Then explained what happened. I dint think his feet hit the floor getting to the nurses station and landing on nurse know it all. Later, my Dr. , an oral surgeon, came in and i worked the story into his visit. Again, nurse know it all was publically ripped over being incompetent......borderline stupid. This time I sort of follwed him so I could over hear the conversation from a safe distance. We he was through with her and she was still in tears I casually strolled by and in a slightly raised voice said " gotcha b***ch".

Absolutely no excuse for nurses over riding Dr's orders without checking 1st and giving a complete explanation. This of course isn't to denigrate the importance of having a high quality, caring nurse that is proud of her profession and works very hard to be the patients advocate whenever she see the necessity.

• Posted

I don't know why l have to get the 2 knee's done when l an having totally no problem from the right knee l think they are going on what the xrays are showing. I knew my left was done in as it was the one l have always had problems with and when l was walking to help my hips my left knee was steadily getting worse my walking was getting harder so they must have just looked at the xrays l accepted as l knew it needed done badly. But btreatment in the next month just cross my fingers her treatment works as we have promised ourself a luxury holiday as we have all been through so much the past year we think we deserve some sort of treat. My first PT appointment is anothet 10 days maybe they want bruising to go down a bit 1st which funnily enough l have very little swelling or brusing l thought l would have a lot more.

Cheers Laura

• Posted

Ha ha what a bi##h l can't beleive ahe did that l.would have went mental to. But she got her cumupance l would have done the same as you and said exaxtly the same as you while she cried after been tore to shreds by the doctor/dentist. The cheek of her.

See l.think you get good nurses and you get ones that are just there fir the money. It takes a certain carung kind to be a nurse and some of them certainly have no empathy or caring side to them. With being in hospital that much l have come to realise yest its a very busy job at times but when you press a buzzer for a nurse and 7 mins later you are still waiting thats terrible and l have seen it happen so much. Glad she got what she desearved. Imagine threaning to call the police pfft.

Makes me angry

• Posted

Hi Laura, glad you're feeling better, I felt bad having told you how easy my knee surgery was and then you had such a rough time! My surgeries weren't really problem free but we tend to forget the bad when you can appreciate the progress you are making. I did have bad reaction to meds in hospital after first surgery but I don't remember much of it. My wife has told me how out of it I was, now it's just a somewhat humorous story. Fortunately the anesthesiologist listened and I came out of my other surgeries much better. My second knee surgery, they bend or "Manipulate" your knee after the new knee is in and apparently the muscles were much tighter than the first, and my knee cap was fractured when they did this ! So I woke up to, "Well everything went fine BUT, you have a screw sideways through your knee cap!" Had to wait a good 6 weeks to really do much PT until the bone healed. Just another minor hurdle. Never got my ROM past 110 degrees but the knee works fine now.

I wish you the best, I'd really get some more information before I signed up for that second knee surgery. You have no pain and there are other solutions I would think. I just don't see why they would do a complete knee replacement when it doesn't hurt!

Dave

• Posted

Well done Laura ! Think carefully about not using crutches or sticks though - I could do it at that stage but didn't because I walked better and without a limp with them - some kind of comfort blanket I think. It's not a race or a competition! Listen to your body and rest up! Thinking of you xx

• Posted

Thanks Kathryn l know what you mean l should use them and l will use them its really just laziness in my case if they are sitting at the other side of the livingroom and l just want something close. I have been doing parts of my PT and l can feel it loosining up everyday but still not as much as would like it to. But it will take time l have not even had my 1st proper PT lesson yet. Again l can see this is going to be like my hip recovery having up and down days and today is one of my down days its a saturday and l am.stuck at home missing doing my normal sat things like shopping and just getting out to see my mum and dad. I hate feeling icolated.

Laura x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.