Day 8 of recovery from posterior prolapse repair

Posted , 26 users are following.

Well after seeing my GP on day 6 and being given antibiotics for a urine infection and also treatment for thrush things are settling down a bit. Still very uncomfortable sitting on my bottom, easier lying in my side. The last 2days I've been getting out in the car for short quick trip to shops, not driving...doing stairs and walking OK but VERY tired still and dragging feeling if I stand for too long but on the whole everything working OK down below with my squatty potty and Keger app- many thanks to this forum. Positive about future. 

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley. Glad to hear your wee bit better. I had TVTO surgery for bladder repair and pelvic floor repair 5 months ago and I havnt looked back. I like you had to get antibiotics after being discharged from hospital and my bladder also wasn't working properly which was one of the risks of the op but five months on I am great. Both procedures have made a massive difference to my life as I am only 41. I only wished I had done it sooner. Good luck on your recovery xx
    • Posted

Thanks Debi, that sounds really positive.Think I might have overdone it a bit today though as I have bit more dragging pain below so rest more from now on... I have to keep reminding myself and others it's early days yet.
    • Posted

Hi lesley,

The dragging feeling really worried me initially but as you said it is worse when you do more so just take it easy as it will settle down with time.  As they say time is a great healer and with regard to this op never has a truer word been spoken. Keep taking it easy and I wish you well xx

• Posted

Glad to hear everything's going well Lesley.I remember being very, very tired and even having a sleep in the afternoon for about 10 weeks! Seems ridiculous at 64, but I think healing is tiring, and this operation does batter you about.

My GP phoned me today, out of the blue, to say he'd been in touch with the hospital to chase up my appointment with the gynae physio. Apparently they don't have one at the moment, but someone is starting in August, so it shouldn't be much longer. I'm liking this new GP more and more.

• Posted

Wow Moira your GP sounds amazing. All I got was a physio sheet to take home. Maybe 6 wk check will produce something. I'm a fit  68 now so maybe thats why im tired. Think it takes longer to recover the older you get. Cant wait to be healed enough to do my yoga. It's lovely having this support from you all. 
    • Posted

Hi Moira,

Just reading and catching up with all the news on this page since getting back from holiday... I never had any physiotherapy following my rectocele & cystocele op (with perineum tightening) -10 months ago. I was also just given a printed sheet with tips on tightening the pelvic floor muscles. I did the 'pulling up' exercises whenever I remembered and even bought a PelvicToner that you see advertised. I used it a few times but found once I'd got back to normal 'bedroom activities' that was the best physiotherapy!

Looking back to the pain and discomfort of the first few weeks it was all well worth it. I did have one or two problems post 12weeks - but I got those sorted. I had thrush to begin with, then a mucky discharge developed which was diagnosed as 'granulation' from the stitched area. The disposable stitches hadn't dissolved. At 11/12 weeks they were mainly all still in place and turning nasty. I had to attend the hospital Gynae clinic to have the areas of vaginal granulation 'painted' with silver nitrate which cauterised the area. I was told this would be painfull and that some ladies have an anaesthetic but I declined and whilst it was very 'nippy' like someone putting a cigarette out on your skin, it was bearable. They also did a transvaginal scan at the same time and took a Pipelle sample. A few weeks later they called me back because they thought I had some 'thickening' of the lining of the uterus which could have caused the 'mucky blood streaked' discharge. They did a deep uterine examination and took photos of the lining and took samples for biopsy. Luckily all turned out to look normal and with the earlier cauterisation healed, the discharge had stopped. 

Now, it all seems a distant memory. It is so important though, isn't it to remind everyone to TAKE IT EASY one silly task of lifting or carrying too heavy, can damage all the good work your surgeon has done. 

By the way, Moira there's nouwt wrong wi' an afternoon nap! I am pretty fit and active (at 70 in a few weeks)but reckon if you feel like shutting your eyes for ten minutes, you should listen to your body, it's telling you something. 

Good luck to you and everyone it's good to hear everyone being so positive. LadyPink

• Posted

Great to hear your experiences. Well I'm not sure the antibiotics I have been given have worked. Still very sore. The antibiotic cream made soreness and stinging even worse. I've also taken Canesten Once in case it was thrush, but all to no avail. Still stinging and sore so back to GP tomorrow...
    • Posted

Hi Lesley, Looking back, I seem to remember the medication I took for Thrush (prescribed by the hospital) didn't seem to be helping either and as I was like you, very sore and my skin quite red I went to see my GP. It was she who mentioned it looked like I had some 'vaginal granulation' and that my stitches didn't seem to have dissolved and she arranged for me to return to my gynaecologist. I ended up having the silver nitrate treatment as I mentioned before. 

I know infections or Thrush can happen and a time like this and there are loads of other antibiotics for infections or antifungals your doctor could prescribe, so do let us know how you get on. Best wishes,  LadyPink

• Posted

Just been back to GP who has given me Canesten Combi- pessary and cream. She snipped the ends of the stitches that were sticking out too as it looked like they were rubbing. If that doesnt work I have to contact hospital. will keep you updated.
    • Posted

It's never simple is it? I know that people posting on forums like this will tend to have had some sort of problem, but I wonder how many sail through with no post-op infection, no urine infection, no haematoma, no funny stitches, or the horrible sounding thing you're being treated for? On the plus side, 4 and a half months in, I had the 14 month old for the day, and managed fine with the buggy, car seat, high chair, cot, gigantic bag of stuff to take going out, etc etc. No feelings of strain or pulling at all. Also, we were out for hours and I didn't even think about going to the toilet! So, hope it all settles down soon.
    • Posted

Hi Moira, Yes, it's true nothing seems straightforward does it. Funny thing is though, I find it really hard at times to remember the 'difficult' times following my procedure. I guess it's like us ladies forgetting the pain of childbirth. We do tend to take things in our stride and cope with pain and discomfort far better than our men. 

Do be careful with your lifting etc Moira. Don't get too complacent and think all is well - you're NOT there yet. 

A dear friend of mine ended up having to have her operation done all over again because she thought - at 4 months - all was back to normal and it wasn't. She's okay now but she stressed to ME please, please, please be careful and do as I was told and don't stand too long, lift anything heavier than a full kettle etc.

Good to hear you are getting on well anyway. Well done. Best wishes LadyPink

• Posted

Thank you Lady Pink, I'm trying to be positive about all this, but I really don't think I'll feel out of the woods for a while. I keep setting milestones, and they get further away! I think it will be a long time before I stop worrying that the slightest thing will wreck the repair. I do find things are easier though. Even at 6 weeks I wouldn't have lifted a kettle. You just know, because you can feel the strain. But now while I can lift the baby without strain, I still do it carefully to make sure the weight feels ok. I also take every opportunity to put my feet up!
  • Posted

Poor old you - Ouch! The ends of those stitches certainly don't help matters do they.   I don't know, the things we have to put up with. Men don't know the half of it!  

Well Lesley it looks like your experiences are similar to mine. My GP also snipped a couple of my stitches 'to ease matters' and she prescribed Fluconazole for the thrush. I had two lots of treatment in the end which helped a little but of course, with me it turned out NOT be thrush. (My gynaecologist said it was rare to have a reaction to the stitches like I did and that in her 25 years of surgery she had only ever come across TWO previous cases, me being the third).

In your case, I'm sure the Canesten Combi will do the trick and you'll be feeling more comfortable very soon. It's still early days and things will eventually heal and settle down. In no time at all you'll be ticket-boo and back to normal, you'll see. Best wishes, LadyPink

• Posted

Well, I saw the gynecologist who said the stitches were healing fine, no infection. He didn't seem to be concerned.he just said the dragging pain meant the wound was inflamed and swollen and I should get plenty of rest...I'm going stir crazy resting. I am now waiting for the results of a urine test to see if urine infection has cleared. Taking longer than expected to feel fit again...but patience...
  • Posted

Dear Lesley

there are so many familiar theads cropping up in this discussion, I am glad to find I am in good company. I did have a urinary infection early on, but the antibiotics really helped and now the discharge has stopped I feel a lot happier that things are on the mend. 

i had my op 4 weeks ago, and am just beginning to feel that I am turning the corner. However, I did too much this week though and my GP told me that if the pain lasts for a few hours that's not too bad but if it lasts a day or so then I'd done too much and to rein in my activity. Rest does seem to be the order of the day, listening to my body and letting go of house work and gardening has been difficult and like you I find the enforced sitting around very frustrating. But the message to rest is important.Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Yes Jo, I think I underestimated how much rest I would need. I certainly do feel better after resting. I am only 2 weeks post op, so just have to rein back on the activities.
    • Posted

Hi Lesley I too had my op just 4 weeks ago I have just finished a course of Antibiotics for an Urinary Infection but what  worries me I am still leaking Urine constantly and still have the same problems of not making it to the Loo before I wet myself so it seems it as if nothing has changed by me having the Operation so far. Can any of you Ladies on this forum tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel I feel at the moment it was a waste of time having the Operation in the first place and I feel so depressed at the moment.
    • Posted

I am sorry you're feeling so depressed Polly. I am not as far along as you it's only been 17 days ago that I had my op but I'm still very sore and raw and  still using local anaesthetic cream my GP gave me and I still can't stand for long without it feeling the dragging and that everything is falling .Still lying on my side most of the time as sitting is painful too.  I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank-you Lesley for your concern. Well I have been back to my GP as I still have slight bleeding and am still leaking Urine he says I still have an infection so back on Antibiotics he says to get the Infection cleared up first then see how the leakage goes if its no better he will refer me back to the Consultant who did my Operation apparantly the Hospital I had my Op at doesnt do follow ups anymore.  .Apart from this I actually havent any other pain or discomfort. From what i read on this site everyone seems to have variying symptons and recovery times, as one lady said "Listen to your body" I really hope you feel a lot better soon Lesley.
    • Posted

I hope the antibiotics work soon, Polly. I had a urine infection shortly after my op, it was most unpleasant, but was soon cleared by the antibiotics. Now at 5 weeks after op I am beginning to feel better, but the time of inactivity has dragged. But better to spend time recovering. 

Keep positive and good luck.

jo 

• Posted

Its unusual not to have a 6 week follow up, but glad your GP is looking after you. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick. 
    • Posted

My consultant didn't want to see me before 4 months, but I will see my GP soon. Maybe these follow up appointments are becoming rarer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.