Day one

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my names amy iv been taking tramadol for 4 and a half years today is my first day I have struggled with the syptoms but the one thing I cant never over come and slide bk to that sad life is the restless legs at night its so horrid ...im finding great support reading threw people like me ...my dose was as of yesturday 5 50mg a day iv got it down to one a day but very quickly so basically doing cold turkey ....itery hard but I.want amy back not the amy thats lives her life by trams by 5 hour intervals .....I could easily take one but ino one will be two and iv told myself do this for your daughter amy and that gives me devotion.......I am struggling tho so im pleased others are here with x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi amy jane

I have quit a few times....the last time before this was such hell...21 days of rls....I honestly thought I would cry I wanted to sleep so badly. This time I was only l  relapsed a few weeks and dose a bit lower but....I am on iron....and I dont know what the reason is but so far no rls! sure it is only day four and whoknows but Ihavea history of rls without withdrawal...when I get overtired...andmy docotr told me we should checkmy iron as low iron cancause rls and I have been on iron a few months because I was in factlow on my blood test.....so long story but mayeb iron would help if you were low as well..

otherwise baths with epsomsalts, I would take4-5 showers or tubs a night....

good luck

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

If your gonna go ahead an do it (cold turkey) flush all your pills now! To temping to be in house. Ask your Dr for some anti-anxiety med. It will help restlessness an legs. It did for me. Stay hydrated an take magnesuim an multivit an Vit D.
  • Posted

I could not have quit cold turkey and I was only ever taking a maximum of 3 a day. I had to cut down very gradually. One pill at a time for at least a week. Wait until the withdrawals stop and then stabilize for a few days and cut again. It does take will power but better and safer than going cold turkey. The worst of the withdrawals only last for 3 days.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Well, at least you cannot say you have not tried to get off them, I could not go "cold turkey" myself, basically because with Tramadol I am on are the SR (slow release) type.

I also have to take 2,000mg of Paracetamol, and 20mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. Even taking all that, I am have continous pain 24/7 - it's in my legs, spine, shoulder and my neck, and mainly from muscles which are spasming and tort most of the time.

My Consultant did try to get me off Tramadol, by introducing Gabapentin, which led to a bad experience after being on them for just 2 weeks.

All my medications are due for a review early in February, so hopefully they can reduce my intake of over 30 tablets a day! Well, I can hope.

I wish you well though, getting as far as you did - I wish I could do the same but I don'r have 50mg tablets only 100mg SR's. rolleyes

Best regards,

Les.

• Posted

There is a little gizmo you can pick up from the pharmacy that cuts pills in half (or quarters if need be).  Your amitriptyline is like a mild Valium, 20 is quite mild, if you need to sleep ask your dr about zoplicone.  Gabapentin can play havoc with ones brain, so ask for something else (zomorph range comes in various strengths). Don't ever try cold turkey, you will do yourself more damage.  Do you belong to a pain management group, you might benefit from what they can offer.  Acupuncture for the muscle spasms. Nerve blocks are another effective.  Chinese medicine can also be helpful, but do go to a modern one as opposed to traditional. By taking alternative painkillers you may be able to lessen the pain as well as reduce the amount of tablets you take per day.  It is not pleasant being in constant pain, especially if it is referred pain, but there are ways to tackle it.  I wish you well and good luck with your renewal.
  • Posted

You will get your old Amy back, you are already on the right path, please don't go cold turkey.  Yes they get out of your system quicker, but there are after effects that last longer.  If they are tablets, (not capsules) try cutting back by half a tab at a time.  Your body will notice the difference but you will be able to cope better with the withdrawals.  Nerve blocks will help with your spasms (it is an intravenous thing) or acupunture.  Don't give up hope, you will get there.  If you push too hard and get too impatient, it will be harder.  take it one day at a time and pat yourself on the back each time you reach a milestone.  Drink plenty of water to help flush the toxins through your system, lots of fresh fruit and green veg.  The same as if you are doing a dietary detox, though not so radical.  Build up your strength.  Wishing you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.