Day six with out a drink

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any herbal products to help with drinking and if it helped. I have heard of a new one but they wont let me post it on here sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Holy basil leaf is something I've read about on another forum
  • Posted

The only two I know of are:

Valerian root tablets (hold your nose and swallow quickly before the smell hits)

Kudzu root tablets

Seem to remember Valerian helped a bit, not as good as proper medication. Haven't tried Kudzu.

There is medication out there that really helps, dpending on which route you are taking.

• Posted

Congratulations on almost a week without a drink!

Not herbal, but have you looked into Nalmefene or Naltrexone? I don't know if you're in the UK or the US. Did you go through detox?

• Posted

Day 6!  Awesome...no more need for detox....thoughts on exercise and therapy...Good job sue08.
  • Posted

Well done you.

we are in a similar position, day 8 now. Have been using quiet life tablets for last five days, along with thiamine. Two in the morning and three at bedtime. Seem to be helping.

• Posted

My post maybe moderated as I've mentioned the name! They contain valerian as mentioned by RHGB, and no, they don't smell!
    • Posted

Put 'valerian root smells' into Google and watch the predictive suggestions come up.

Valerian root smells like feet

Valerian root smells like poop

Valerian root smells terrible

Valerian root smells bad

Valerian root smells awful

• Posted

I didn't have to Google it, I have some left in the kitchen cupboard, they stink, badly and you are expected to eat the stuff.
    • Posted

I can assure you they don't smell. Thiamine ones I take do! I said they contained valerian.

i didn't claim they have great results, only they seemed to help. They're supposed to help with stress, anxiety and help with insomnia. The main reasons for my using alcohol.

of course, one could say the reason they seem to be helping me, is I'm not drinking!!

• Posted

If a company has a herbel product that they claim to help with either cravings, or abstinence, then to make that claim they should have information out there to back it up - ie. some clinical testing - otherwise how can they make that claim?

There are some products I have seen on Amazon and that have their own websites, too.  However, once I looked at the websites, then there wasn't a single shred of evidence to back up what they were saying.

In the interests of not wanting to waste money, I emailed the company and they never even replied to me.  That indicated to me that they couldn't back up what they were claiming.  I can't even remember the name of that herbal product right now as it was some years ago now, so it probably wasn't the same one as you mentione 'new' but the principle is the same.

Ask them if they can back up the claim.  Whatever they may claim on their website, try and get some independent confirmation.  For example, if they claim it has been clinically tested, ask them for the reference number of the trial and the company who did it so that you can independently confirm it for you.  Do not trust anything on their website that links to a certificate etc, without independently checking on it.  For example, some companies will claim they are members of one organisation or another, and their website will click to a link that shows some form of certification but be sure to go directly to the organisation confirmed and ask them to confirm it for you.

I'll all for any method to get, or stay, sober that works - but unless someone can show me proof of what they claim, then caution is required.

• Posted

Well done Sue. I too would like to gi e up drinking. Have you found this new one helpful.

if so could you PM me the details. I think you would be allowed to do that.

• Posted

HI Sue. Valerian root is good advice. Buy it online is my advice. Best of luck from Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.