Deafness ... thanks cholesteatoma!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Still recovering from 3rd operation in 12 months. Unfortunately the deafness has taken it's toll and have to have bilateral hearing hearing aids. Bit p**sed off as only a youthful 46 and hearing aids ain't the most attractive! But I am so grateful that I can hear so not complaining one tiny bit.

Has anyone on this forum had bone impaired implants? This is what my surgeon advises and as I know zilch about them I hope someone on here can give me info? I know it's invasive surgery with a bit of head shaving, gulp, but do they work and is it worth it? Any advice or experience will be so appreciated.

Cheers

Debs 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, from what I saw at the children's hospital a couple of weeks ago, these implants are awesome. Although the surgery is a little intrusive the result means that you are left with almost like a press stud behind the ear for the aid to clip onto to avoid the over the ear versions etc. it had made a massive difference to the little girl and her family transforming her life. It's definitely an option I will encourage my own daughter to choose as she gets older (she's currently 5 and wearing a hearing band which in itself has changed her life already) she's got considerable hearing loss from cholestetoma and is currently awaiting her next op to remove from both ears so fingers crossed on no further hearing loss for now but who knows.. It's a dreadful disease and as a parent I wish I could suffer it for her. Good luck with your implants I'm sure you will make the choices right for you.. By the way, the little girls hair covered hers and you'd never notice they were there...
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I have got a consultation with my surgeon on Thursday to discuss the implants.

I wish your daughter all the very best with her surgery and I hope her hearing loss is minimal. I agree it is an awful life changing disease.

Let me know how your little girl gets on bless her.

Many thanks

Debs 

• Posted

I will do thanks.. Good luck on Thursday too.. It's easier with children as they are so accepting it's us adults who go through the most pain and anguish. It's a big change for you and tough to accept but there are good things out there to help once you come to terms with it. Xx
  • Posted

I'm so glad there are still options out there from what everyone is saying.  I wish you  fast recovery as much as possible and know we are supporting your decisions here and are with you thru this whole process.  May better days be ahead soon for you!  Are there any reasons as to why this disease comes to be in the first place for anyone?   I'm still so puzzled why my son has to go through this as no one in our family had such difficulty like this?  Regards - Cici
  • Posted

Would thoroughly recommend bone implant aids as it does not matter so much what is happening at any time in the ear canal or middle ear ( eg infection or discharge) . The aids will transmit sound directly to the inner ear through the bone. Also they eliminate the feeback  'whistle'  which sometimes occurs with badly fitting aids in the ear canal.

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.