Death - Alcoholic Liver Disease

Posted , 15 users are following.

My ex-husband has just died from Alcoholic Liver Disease. He became very bloated round the abdomen and his urine output and bowel movements erratic. He was hardly able to move around in the last week. I noticed when he came to meet my daughter and I that his eyes were very yellow. It was obvious to me that something terrible was happening. Alcohol had no effect on him in the last two weeks. He did not want to bother his doctor but after my insistence he saw a locum last Thursday who gave him tablets for nausea and something for constipation. He died on Monday after a two terrible nights of pain thinking it was the laxatives working! By the time I got an ambulance his chest was crackling and he could hardly breathe. He died in ICU 12 hours later.

I am so angry with the locum who gave him laxatives. She had his whole case history before her - his eyes were yellow, his abdomen was full of fluids - something terrible was happening inside. AND SHE GAVE HIM LAXATIVES. I need to do something. Could he have had a chance if seen by his normal GP!! I just don't know. Three days might have at least given him a chance.

Anyone any ideas? He struggled all his life and just couldn't beat alcoholism. But this was quick at the end.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm really sorry, this sounds awful for you. I reply because in earlier this year my ex presented to his Doctor with a distended stomach, (he looked pregnant). His GP sent him straight to the Hospital and he was admitted.

They took seven litres of fluid from him and he was there a few days. His Dr subsequently told him his Liver was failing so I do wonder about your experience with the Locum and what would have been the outcome if he had been taken to Hospital.

What I will say is that since then he has not, (to my knowledge), drunk alcohol, however, the bloating (ascities) is back and I think that may portend a poor prognosis in the long term. I think by the time ascities happens the Liver is already cirrhotic and decompensated.

We both refer to these men as ex's, I left becauseof the drinking and I also never had children with him because of being the child of an alcoholic myself, yes it's a difficult thing to beat.

Unfortunately, in my experience of both, Alcoholic liver disease means little sympathy from medical staff, such patients would not be considered for transplant, you are right to be angry but I suspect doors will close if you were to try to pursue it.

• Posted

Hi this is terrible, ide want to take it further as well, thesr docters keep doing this, and if you dont have the money to keep up the long dragged affair then you have to give up, all docters stick by one another and because of that the health board is the hardest organisation [sorry spelling]to fight, A friend of a friend died after giving birth and her husband found out imformation that would suggest she should not have died, He tried to fight his claim ,but like i tell you they keep it going on and on and you have to give up through lack of funds.Its not fair and it doesnt matter how you live your life you are still entitled to be given the treatment that he and all people should have, i have this terrible condition but i am tea total, i developed it as a side affect from my diabeties, and the nurses that dont know your case they can sometime treat you with hostility.everone should be treated with respect.So if you can afford it, you might have some luck go

for it.Because it certinly looks from where im sitting he might have survived.good luck MARGARETANN

• Posted

My Brother got rushed to ICU this morning, he was coughing up blood all day yesterday, but he wouldn't goto hospital, as I think he was scared. But he's yellow, got cirrhosis , hep c as well. They can't operate as his blood doesn't clot. Docs said that if he comes out, he has 6 months max, and that's if he comes out!!! He's currently having a transfusion. He's 36years old, and I dunno what I'm going to do without him sad
    • Posted

I'm broken. I'm a mother of 2 amazing teenz. Drank 1yr chased sobriety 1.5 in facilities not knowing I was exposed to hep etc. I will fix this. BUT need you to know your broken heart request will push me to fix the alcohol facilities response to middle age necessity

• Posted

Not a physician. HOWEVER a short quick and again I reiterate short, time alcoholic. I drank for 1yr and a half. Doctors gave me lipase which accidentally sent me into a massive swelling co dition and I had blood pressure so thru the roof I was BP points from a massive stroke. Lipase.....i's given accidentally continuously

• Posted

so sorry for your lose.  laxatives are given for a reason with liver disease.  i won't go into the details, but those laxatives might well have been given in the hopes that you would have had some quality of life together at the end.

me: ascites (the bloating), childs-pugh B (life span in question), recent TIPS (a kind of liver bypass)  and on lacitives to keep my brain sharp.  I'm alive but watched my mother die of liver disease.  Once the liver fails there is not much to do, but the laxatives can help to keep the brain working.  my point: that prescription may have been a very humane gesture.

peace, sympathy and serenity to you....

• Posted

Hi

I've just come across your post after searching the net for answers

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters father I got shivers when I read it as my daughter father too struggles with alcholol and recently addicted to opiates his health has declined last three months to the point vomiting last month every day not able to pass urine when he does the colour is dark tea stomach is severely swollen. His skin and eyes are yellow

He went to the gp twice last week begging for help to stop vomiting and feeling weak Drs where nasty to him and gave him anti sickness and sent him away second visit they told him to stop coming in the surgery nothing wrong with him 

Friday I get a call to say he is seriously unwell in hospital and dr doesn't know how he has not collapsed before now

He is severely malnourished  his liver levels are 5038 should be 50 he is having scans this afternoon hopefully know more then he not on any treatment for liver only fluids keep hydrated. I'm worried for my daughter as to the prognosis as I feel there nothing they can do

I wondered if anyone has knowledge of blood readings and what we are looking at long term

Thank you in advance for readings this

Hope your daughter is doing ok x

• Posted

My husband 37 just barely 11/20/1980-12/14/2017

Died from end stage liver disease. I had him admitted to the hospital on 11/01/2017 he was released 7 days later with obvious signs of end stage liver disease but was not given a chance to get better. He was only 37 how did I not notice he was so badly damaged. My aunt's a Dr and I asked her how come they would release him while showing obvious signs of distress. She told me it couldn't have been that bad because you don't know it's that bad until it's to late.

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but my estranged (his choice) brother died from what the coroner termed "chronic alcoholism." I've been doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. It is my understanding that at the point of liver damage you are describing, the damage is irreversible and deadly. No one could have saved him. He's lucky to have died so quickly without too much pain. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Posted

Unfortunately, all people who can not cope with alcoholism die from cirrhosis of the liver. Such an outcome. And you can not help in any way. This is their choice.
  • Edited

I'm sorry for your loss. The laxatives were given to him for a reason. His ammonia levels were probably pretty high. The laxatives help.

My husband is in ESLD. He has less than 5% functioning liver. And he continues to drink. He was given months to live. He could be gone anytime. It breaks my heart.

• Posted

Thank you. He now has an enlarged heart from this. His heart is constantly racing. He is jaundiced. His pee is almost brown. He has lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. He hardly eats. He has a lot of nausea. He has high ammonia levels. He forgets a lot of things. His temper is extremely high. His skin is mottled. When he goes to the hospital, they send him home after giving him fluids. Hes not bloated though. His dr said not everybody experiences everything from this. Two times last year he threw up a lot of blood. Had 15 points transfused. He had the TIPs procedure. We know there isnt anything more they can do.
    • Posted

I know how you feel. I know how he felt once. Alcohol is a poison that effects the brain. He must feel helpless, feeling this is what people want, not loved ones anymore. As I am the same. It is insidious, drinking to feel better. Rehab him.
    • Posted

I'm trying to get him in to rehab. Hes been in twice this year and comes home and starts drinking again. Hes giving up.

• Posted

So sorry to hear. How long has he had known problems? Did he have symptoms early on or along the way or not until it was bad and y'all found out?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.