Debating SCS- Senza Nevro HF10 system or the Boston Scientific system

Posted , 24 users are following.

I now need to decide which SCS system I want to have implanted. I underswtand the Senza Nevro HF10 is relatively new in the USA and the Boston Scientific has been around a long time. I have had lower back pain and leg pain for many many years. Three spine surgeries have not reduced the constant pain I am in. I'm so tired of all the narcotic pain meds and wanting off of all of them. Please comment so as to help me make my decision. Which device shall I choose? Thank you for your time.

2 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kilee,

I am just like you, I did the nervo and I want it out its making my pain worse, if you have a lot of nerve damage make sure you make the right choice.

Good luck

Cindy

• Posted

Cynthia, did you do the trial first?

If so, did you get pain relief during the trial period?

Why did you choose the Nevro HF10 system? Or was it not the HF10 version?

What are you doing now?

Thank you for your help, Kilee

• Posted

Kilee,

Yes it's the nervo senza hf10 system and yes the trial I got relief for 3 out of 5 days, and than they pushed me to do the surgery. They wanted me to wait for the new system because they were still doing medtronics, I just feel like the trial should of been longer than 5 days. Cause I was on the fence about getting it permanently in, felt pushed into it.

Do your research and make the right one for your pain.

Good luck

Keep in touch and let us know which one you choice not forced into lol

Regretting my choice

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Kilee, I just wanted to mention that when I got my MRI compatabile Medtronic, the DUMB STUPID doctor used NON-MRI compatable leads.  Thank goodness the radiologist insisted on calling the Medtronic number on my Medtronic card before proceeding, because the doctor told me it was MRI-compatible, and I went in to get an MRI done.  I would have been badly burned internally.  So make sure the surgeon uses the right kind of leads if you go with a Medtronic.  I had good results from my first one.  The same DUMB surgeon is the one who put it in the wrong place for my second one.  Good Luck to you.

• Posted

Your comments, your experience, and your suggestions are very helpful and I appreciate the time you have given to me. Kilee
    • Posted

You're welcome.  Good luck to you!  I know it's so hard to figure out what the best thing to do is. Let me know how you are doing. lol
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia,

​I'm trying to write to you.  I've been kicked out of my little writing block twice.  I just wanted to say taht I've been thinking about you so much and I am so worried - scared actually.  Are you sure about putting that battery in your stomach? Here is a number to Nevro.  Please call them and ask them what they think about placing the battery there.  I wish you the very very best of luck. And I will pray for you that they come up with somethng that helps ou with your pain. Here's the Nevro number 888-895-8105

• Posted

Cindy - it seems the more scar tissue is what seems to be the biggest probem leading to failure...IMO? I have significant nerve damage from a really bad ATV accident; almost losing my leg. The stimulator placed 2 months back has been amazing for the terrible nerve pain.
  • Posted

Hi Kilee -

I would strongly recommend against both the Nevro and Boston Scientific systems. The Nevro requires recharging every day. So unless you want to spend several hours daily recharging, this one isn't for you.

The Boston Scientific system is good but not great. I would recommend Medtronic. They have two options for batteries - one is a rechargeable (usually recharge every 1 to 2 weeks). The other doesn't require any changing but will need to be replaced over time. The rechargeable system has something called AdaptiveStim, which adapts the stimulation to postural changes. Very intuitive! Also, Medtronic offers the only MRI safe system which allows for full MRI body scans - something that neither Nevro or Boston Scientific offers. You can't go wrong with Medtronic. Good luck with you procedure!

• Posted

Paulkuehl, thank you for your time.

Do you have the system you recommend implanted yourself?

Other than recharging, do you know of other negative issues with the Nevro HF10 system?

Thank you, kilee

• Posted

My understanding, from Mayo Clinic, is that it does not take hours to recharge daily; only minutes daily. 
    • Posted

I'm 2 months out from having my Boston Scientific placed permanently, and I can have head MRIs. Anyone getting SCSs need to also verify their leads are MRI compatible.

• Posted

I realize this was posted over a year ago, but came across this site researching SCS info for a family member.  Very shady there, Paul.  I'm certain you would "strongly recommend against" both Nevro and Boston Scientific considering you work for Medtronic.  Your post seemed a little too pro-Medtronic.  That's about as slimey as it gets.  Solid work.

• Posted

Kilee:

Unfortunately, there are people on this post that either work for one of the manufacturers, or are extremely misinformed. Fortunately there is a randomized, controlled trial that compares low frequency technology to the new Nevro high frequency technology. Additionally, Nevro's system does require daily recharging, but it is only for 30 minutes a day. High frequency technology also requires no paresthesia, rendering the sensor device completely obsolete. An additional study showed that 9 out of 10 patients prefer high-frequency stimulation, not only due to superior pain relief for both back and leg pain but also the absence of side effects such as shocking and unwanted paresthesia.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nevro-announces-publication-senza-rct-172900364.html?.tsrc=applewf

• Posted

I believe they only do a short trial and yes you feel relief than when u get it permanently you can't find the same relief, if I could go back I would of waited to the USA got the dorsal root gangelion one because my pain is more nerves than ever. But everyone is different, its your choice, so don't be discouraged, and find the right one for you.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Cynthia, are you saying the trial equipment was at different settings than what the actual device is capable of delivering?
    • Posted

What is the greatest complaint with the NEVRO system and also the other systems like Boston scientific?
    • Posted

Kilee,

Yes I think the setting was different, I had to keep trying different settings for 3 months and finally the unit shut off and I am now out of bed and actually feeling like my pain is back to what I'm used to, with the unit I couldn't do anything I was so upset in bed not able to anything I didn't even want to eat or shower, after the unit shut off I felt so much better like I made the wrong choice, and I heard in the UK they have a dorsal root gangelion stimulator, in the USA its in the trial period, I think I should of waited for that unit because my problem is all nerve pains, I had a ganglionectomy to try and fix a mess a Dr made, my leg and foot was on fire, he said I was nuts so I got a 2nd opinion and found out the disc that erupted went and cut my nerves on my left side so by the time I got my fusion done my new Dr tried to fix the nerve damage but it was to late, so I am stuck with all nerve damage and failed fusion, its been since 1999 and all I been having is pain management, because they pretty much gave up on me. Until the pushed me to do the SCS if I could go back in time I would opted out knowing what I know now, but units off and I'm still in pain but not the pain were I couldn't do anything and being depressed, at least I want to leave the house and go shopping and just getting to do the little things I can do. So please make sure you research everything thoroughly before you make a life changing decision.

Take care

Cynthia(cindy)

• Posted

Cynthia, am trying to learn all I can learn regarding these units. I have asked others to participate and share their experiences and knowledge with me. The response has been slight, to my disappointment. I still have a decision to make and just don't know what to do yet. Thank you for your time you have taken to share with me.
    • Posted

Kilee,

The dorsal root gangelion stimulator goes closer to your spine and helps more with cases of very bad nerves that causes the pain, I am a failed nervo, unfortunately, they only gave me 5 days to make up my mind and was kind of pushed by the rep to get it done, so when it was all done with the permanent one I was in more pain than ever, it eventually went off and I could get out of bed after 3 months the battery is actually pushing thru my skin and now I have to go and have the battery moved to my stomach but it will be off my doctor is putting some other type of system in I will find out on the April 28th, I can not even walk without pain my life has been turned upside down unfortunately I am one of the ones that the nervo failed on. So back to the drawing board for me. I've been in pain for over 20 years, and they thought this would work.

But like I said it's up to the individual on how it's going to work.

Cynthia

• Posted

I personally like feeling the stimulator sensations. But each person is uniquely different, therefore having you SCS set using the high frequency settings does give the needed relief without the paresthesia sensations. I have this setting (we call it "whisper"wink but found out from my rep that he can only configure this high frequency setting if specified by the doctor. And some of the doctors don't indicate the use of it. I was kinda dumb-founded when he told me this. I feel very fourtunante to have this setting with my Boston Scientific stimulator, as I have definitely benefited at times with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.