Decapeptyl

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hubby now confirmed with PC. Gleason 7 (4+3) and is in his hip and back bones. His PSA was 976.  Starting on Decapeptyl hormone treatment next week. Is anyone on this treatment and if so, what side effects are you experiencing. Thanks.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed last month -- Gleason 9 (4/5). PSA    168 .  Started on Zoladex . Only side effect so far, cold then sweaty in bed.
    • Posted

Hi Washie - thanks for reply. Not sure of difference between Zoladex and Decapeptyl but think side effects will be similar. Have been told the treatment will suppress PC for at least 3 years and can even be much longer. Can consider chemo if necessary when it stops working. Hopefully we can start enjoying our recent retirement to North Wales now. Best wishes

Sorry if you get this message twice - I sent a reply earlier but doesn't seem to have been sent.

• Posted

G'day Sue0080...sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis... I'm a G5+5 and have been on Zoladex for a little over 12 months... The main side affects are the never ending Hot Flushes, Foggy Brain and Memory Lapses...

My only advise is to keep a super positive attitude regardless...

Good Luck to you both...

• Posted

G'day Washie... Yeah I've had lots...all my details are in my profile...just click on my photo...
    • Posted

G'day KC ---you have certainly been through it and kept working,well done .My hope is that I stay on Zoladex for as long as necessary and avoid RT and Chemo. From your experience with the Meds. Do you think this is possible?         Washie 
    • Posted

Washie...please remember I'm no expert in this area so in answering your question... "I don't really know." I do know that I will be on Zoladex forever but that's just unavoidable... Knowing my position, as it is now, I probably would not have gone the Radical Prostecomy way and would have simply stuck to the Hormonal Treatment...who knows...

• Posted

KC---thanks for prompt reply.  My next apt. with Onco.is in 3  weeks. I'Ii keep you informed. Zoladex appears to be one of the most popular drugs at the moment.        Keep going.  Regards Washie.
    • Posted

Man... Zoladex has been around for many years... unfortunately for cases such as mine it appears to be the be all and end alll of the last line of defense... Be prepared for some massively life changing decisions... take your time to consider (and remember that this is about YOU!)... let me now if you'd like to bounce some ideas ...
    • Posted

Hi KC - thanks for your reply. I've been trying to find out difference between Zoladex and Decapeptyl but looks as its just down to cost. We're in North Wales and I know NHS budget is tight. I think side effects will be the same. You've been through a lot over the past 3 years and I really admire your positive attitude. Hopefully now hubby has started treatment we can start enjoying our retirement and take your positive advice. Best wishes
    • Posted

Sorry all but at some stage you need to really face reality...It's not a matter of planning what treatments to have...NO!..it's about planning as much as what makes you happy...just go and do it...NOW!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.