Decision to make tomorrow

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a consultant appointment tomorrow and need to make a decision.  My right knee needs a TKR. I have already had my left knee replaced twice due to arthritis i had from childhood. I was 39 and 52 and have supporting stents as well. My right knee is now in constant pain and i have tried steriod injections and psiotheraphy treatment which as not helped. I also suffer with Neuropathic nerve pain in my left knee. I have just turned 60 and this will be 3 TKR by the age of 60. I have been reluctant to go for more surgery, but now feel like i have no choice. The winter is not here yet and i will be worse then. I know there isn't anything anybody can say, just wanted some positive thoughts from people. I also live on my own and it will be a srtruggle whilst recuperating. Not looking forward to it. Wish something else could be done. 

Elizabeth.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I can understand your reluctance to have the TKR. At least you know what you are in for. lol. There is nothing more depressing than being in pain.I am sure you have thought long and hard in regards to your decision. It is a shame that we can't see the future. We just don't know what's around the corner. I wish you all the luck in your TKR. I hope all goes well. I am thinking of you, sending hugs and good thoughts.   Good luck.                                                                        

I have had my stem cell treatmant with no results yet. Apparently I will have to wait until arounf 8 months for any changes. Like having a baby.lol

• Posted

Hi Jules, thank you for your reply. I have spoken to you before. I know the operation is the answer and your right pain is depressing. THanks for your kind words and thoughts. I suspect it will be a few months before the operation so i will be back, ( thou i am around all the time ) to let you know how things go. 

Hope your keeping as well as can be with your knees. I am sorry the stem cell treatment as no results yet and that you find some improvement soon. Take care.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I think that if you focus on what you really NEED right now, things will become very clear to you. Think about having your pain FIXED and ELIMINATED. That is a beautiful thing.

I had both knees done -- June and October of last year. Living pain-free is wonderful. Temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement!

Well worth it!

Sending prayers of strength and clarity to you tonight!💟

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, Thank you for replying. I have spoken to you before. I am glad your now living pain free and wish you continued better health and many years being pain free with your knees.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth!

Thanks SO much for the kind words!😊

It has been so nice being able to just DO THINGS without first thinking if it will require standing too long or walking a distance. At one point before my TKRs I was actually contemplating whether to walk across the front yard (less distance but more uneven surface) or down the sidewalk then down the driveway (much longer distance but smoother surface) to get the mail! My balance was terrible due to the BONE-ON-BONE condition of my knees, AND walking longer distances hurt A LOT. Incredible how the simple act of getting the mail used to cause so much thought!

It is very nice to once again not need to put so much thought into doing things. It is WONDERFUL not constantly having to think about my knees!

I hope things go well for you and that you will soon be able to get on with life without worry or pain!💟

• Posted

Hello Cheryl, i have been to see the consultant today and have my name down for a TKR. I asked about stem cell treatment and was told that its not applicable for me, Its for cartilidge and sports injuries. Its a waiting game now. 

I am glad your improving. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hoping you get your date for surgery very soon! Waiting is really hard!

Be sure to let us know, ok?

• Posted

I had a half knee replacement last year and have had hip 9 months later on same leg.  Half Knee recuperation I understand is much quicker but it may not be correct for  your condition..( half means top and bottom on one side of knee) . I would go for it anyway to relieve intolerable pain. it is hard work afterwards getting the knee bend but the more effort you put in (and tolerate the pain at this stage) the quicker you will recuperate as you know from the TKR you have had.
    • Posted

Hi Jomary, Thanks for your reply. A partial knee for me is out of the question. I hope you continue to improve and stay relatively pain free. 

Thinking of you.

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.