Decreasing medication without asking doctor.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ablation(first one) on July 11. Was put on metoprolol 50 mg 2x day, eliquis 5mg 2x day. No other health problems. Have had occasional afib show up on kardia only lasting a minute or so. No episodes of any kind for nearly a month. A month ago I decided to only take 25mg metoprolol at night. No change. I now want to decrease morning dose to 25mg in am. Blood pressure is great, no tiredness, no short of breath. I know I could and should ask my doctor, but sometimes I think they don't

know u like u know yourself. My goal is to not be on any meds, herbs, or anything except my

Eliquis.

I respect this forums opinion.thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I understand your desire to cut back on meds but you risk going into AFIB by decreasing dose yourself . 

Even if you are feeling better please see your doctor before decreasing doses. Just sayin, Best , Didi

• Posted

Ya that's a tough call. I'm like you. I don't want to be on any more than ABSOLUTELY necessary. I can tell what I did. I felt like crap on all that stuff. So I told my cardiologist I just want to take low dose flecainide and nothing else cause I was getting too tired AND LOTS of PVC's with beta blockers and I can't function like that. So he agreed to try just flecainide and this is what I've been doing since last January and other than a cardioversion last Friday I've been doing great.

• Posted

Yes. I will stay on my eliquis forever. I am 69 and getting older by the minute. Lol

• Posted

Am 50 & was ablated in April. Am only on Eliquis and perindopril.  Had a small, self correcting AF episode two weeks after ablation, but my EP was concerned as it was well within the blanking period. He's talking about the possibility of me gating off all meds if I can get through to our Nov. appt with no issues!

Am finding that a daily, 1hr brisk walk (about 5km) really has a big impact on my heartbeat. Doing this seems to keep my PVCs away and so far seems to keep my beat 'rock solid'.

• Posted

I'm not on blood thinners right now and both my GP and Cardiologist don't feel its necessary at this moment as I know exactly when I'm in A Fib and get cardioverted right away.

• Posted

Fair enough. I usually don't notice and only realise when my BP machine flashes the AF logo at me!

As I've said on this forum before, my AF was pretty much self induced. Have changed my lifestyle considerably and addressed my risk factors. On occasions, I still have a glass(or two) more of alcohol than recommend but seem to be able to get away with it at the moment!

• Posted

I believe mine is self induced as well. Over eating, eating late. Sugar indulgence. I am positive the vagal response is my culprit. I have taken up swimming 3 days a week and that has helped tremendously.
    • Posted

Yes, regular 'moderate' exercise is really helpful. I also was a sugar addict!😋

• Posted

I could have written your letter. I feel exactly the same way.  Had a pacemaker put  in 5 weeks ago.  It's pacing correctly and blood  pressure and heart rate are fine. I'm currently on 50 mg of metoprolol 2x day and Pradaxa. Experiencing a very bad cough and indigestion. I want to half my dosage of bp meds and then go off it completely to see if I improve without it. Do u get any side affects from he eliquis?

• Posted

I bruise quite easily but did so on Prodaxa as well . Other than that - the Eliquis works well with minimum side effects .
    • Posted

I don't have any side effects from eliquis other than bruising. Took a long time for the IV site to clear up after ablation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.