deep vein thrombosis recovery time

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been told i need to be off work for 6 weeks at least but i dont understand why.

Anyone know why this length of time is required for recovery?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need to keep your leg elevated (assuming your DVT is in your leg).  It should be elevated higher than your heart if possible.  I was told no standing, resting with leg up or walking as felt comfortable but not overdoing it. 
  • Posted

Yep Vivi3nne is right there. Elevation of leg and rest most important and walking. Not sure about the 6 weeks as mine was 6 months, but it's always worth doing a little research online or I'm sure the hospital will tell you. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Holly, Try and be patient, 6 weeks is for rest, as others have commented, try to keep leg above heart and avoid standing too much, I too was told 6 weeks and was too kean to get back to work, still experiencing problems with swelling of the ankle nearly a year ago, so my advice would be rest and more rest, take care, stewart
  • Posted

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying.

?The DVT is actually in my arm which makes everything a bit more complicated.

It might be because of my job but I'm not sure. I can't find much information online either which is a pain.

?I know that I will probably be on treatment for around six months but I don't think I'll be off sick for that long.

• Posted

Hi Holly

So sorry that you've a dvt in arm

Really sorry that I assumed it was in leg as mine was, which is why I suggested rest and keeping leg raised

I guess the medical guys know best but it's going to be tricky for you, have any Dr's said what you can and can't do???

Best wishes

Stewart

• Posted

Hi Stewart

?Thanks - it is a bit rare I think.

Not really, I've just been told to rest and avoid jolts.

?I am seeing him again in a week or so, hopefully he will give me more information then.

Did you have treatment for your dvt?

• Posted

Hi Holly

Thats good to hear you're seeing him soon, take a pen and paper with you as there will be loads going through your mind whilst you're in the waiting room

The treatment for my dvt was a course of Warfarin and weekly INR checks

i had a problem part way through term in that the pharmacy changed brand and it caused involentary scratching, went back on regular brand and all was fine

If i can help with anything else, just ask

Trust the doctors and ask lots of questions

Take care, Stewart

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.