Degeneration of the spine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not sure if I am posting on the right forum.  I have oa in both knees and neck and was told 2/3 years ago I have degeneration at places all down my spine. I am 69.  I have coped ok with pain all over for years with one or two really bad flares up in the knees.  I moved house a few months ago and started to have a niggling back pain on the left side above the waist which I  put down to the packing and lifting with moving and stretching and twisting more than usual as the cupboards are slightly too hiigh for me I have since bought a step to stand on.  I went to the gp and was prescribed ibuprofen gel (I can't take nsaid tablets just paracetamol) and referred to physio who examined said nothing serious and I need to do some exercises which he has explained to me.  I can stand the pain in the back which does sometimes travel lower or higher but what it getting me down is the sudden spasm of which has happened several times over the last few weeks which takes my breath away and had me in pain and having to rest with hot water bottle.  It does not bother me much at night. I am beginning to think it is more serious even though both gp and physio have examined me and say its nothing serious.  Is there anyone out there that gets a similar pain on one side really hurts to twist reach or bend and as I mentioned when is goes ito spasm it seems to set me back.  I am assuming it is muscle pain and think I read somewhere that they take longer to heal.  It is getting me down.  We moved to be near family and grandchildren but not enjoying life and refusing social invitations because of the pain.  Sorry to go on but would love to hear from anyone with similar symptoms.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have a bad back and have had for 10 years. On of my many problems with my back is arthrits. But anyway I do get spasms all the time. I would suggest that you ask your doctor for muscle relaxers. You won't be able to take them and function as it will make you very tired, but when the spasms get bad you can take one and go to sleep or at least lay down. The most common one that most doctors give is called Flexeral.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I will certainly ask my gp about them but I think that they may be contraindicated because of the medication I take.  I Think I remember seeing something about muscle relaxants  in one of my leaflets so I will check.
  • Posted

Hi Libralady;  The only other thing  that I can ask, is have you had any scans/ MRIs on this area?  It may have something to do with your extra lifting etc due to your move, but it would also be a good idea to ensure that this is the case, and not something else??

​I, too, have OA in back and other areas, and do take muscle relaxants for my muscle spasms; as well as ensuring that I sleep on a firm, supportive mattress.  However, I would also like to know that your pain is secondary to your OA, and hence receive the correct treatment.           stay posted and let us know........Bron

• Posted

Hello Thank you for your reply.  I had xrays around 2/3 years ago after complaining to my gp about aches and pains in the back.  I previously had an xray on the neck area and so I knew that I had neck arthritis and that it can also cause pain in the back.  The Xrays on the back showed generation in the spine.  No further xrays or MRI have been suggested.  Both Gp and physiotherapist examined me and say its not serious just a result of extra lifting etc.  I should add  that following a wrist fracture from a fall in the street in 2012 I had a Dexa scan which showed osteopenia.  Have been on Vitamain D 3 ever since but no other medication for my bones as my gp said as I am an IBS sufferer it would probably cause problems.  I am waiting for a routine follow up Dexa scan appointment to come through.  I am doing the exercises suggested although find them painful on that side where the problem is.  I am used to having chronic mild pain anywhere from neck to feet but this is harder to tolerate when it spasms.  I will give it another couple of weeks and if no better will go back to my gp.  Thankfully I do not get any pain at night only really if I turn over in bed.

• Posted

An MRI shows a lot more then an X ray will show. You may have a bulging disk or degenerative disc disease

• Posted

I pressed the button too quickly. Anyway there are so many different things that can be wrong with your back that will not show up on an X-ray that will show up on an MRI

And exercises that your physical therapist give you shouldn't never hurt. if they are hurting you need to let your physical therapist know

So he or she can change the exercise so that it doesn't hurt.

have a good day and I hope things get better

• Posted

Hi Libralady,

Osteopenia is not full blown osteoporosis. .that is good news. .consider adding non prescription Calcium 600 mg per day.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID, non steriodal anti inflammatory drug. The active ingredient of ibuprofen is also known as Motrin.

Several different NSAID medications do not require a prescription. If one is not effective at reducing the inflammation try a different NSAID.

Do not mix an NSAID with aspirin.

But if you need some more immediate pain relief, taje acetaminophen 500 mg taken no closer than every 6 hours. It is imperative to allow you liver 6 hours in which to clear the acetaminophen before taking an additional dose.

Moist heat is most beneficial to OA. You might consider placing a wet wash cloth atop your hot water bottle.

Arthritis is an inflammation. Therefore you will derive the best results if you take the NSAID and the acetaminophen on a regular schedule for perhaos three weeks.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I know that mobic is an anti inflammatory but is it an NSAID? I ask because I've never heard

before not to take NSAID with aspirin. But I can't take ibuprofen. But it was my understanding

that Ibuprofen was not the only NSAID there were. In fact I thought technically any anti-inflammatory

was an anti-inflammatory which would make aspirins one. Right? Any way why can't you take them together?

• Posted

NSAID is not just an anti inflammatory, an NSAID is a Non Steroidal.

NSAIDs cause gastrointestinal tract distress. A severe example is peptic ulcers.

Aspirin also causes gastrointestinal distress. Aspirin can also cause peptic ulcers.

So, if you take both simultaneously, you are placing your gastrointestinal tract at double jeopardy for damage.

Yes mobic-Meloxicam is a NSAID

Yes many drugs fall into the category of NSAID

Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) that is generally used as a pain reliever

Pain relievers are termed analgesics

nice questions!

• Posted

Well I hate to bother you for more information, but in my case I already have GERDS from taking so much Aleve when I first injured my back

and I have to take aspirin because I had a stroke and I've also had a DVT in my leg. So as you can see i really can't stop taking the aspirn.

So my question is is there any other risks I should be concerned about? I currently take Nexium for the GERDS.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee,

Typically the amount of aspirin one takes for steoke-dvt-heart attach is a very amall anount taken once a day.

Aleve is made to take every twelve hours which is why many people prefer Aleve over some of the other available choices.

When taking both an NSAID and aspirin I would not take them at the same time. I would choose one, wait a few hours and then take the other because my stomach is ultra sensitive. Way back I ate aspirin like M&Ms to help with rheumatoid pain.

I am sure your physician wouldn't mind telling you what the limits are for your body.

You are never a bother!

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Libralady,

Osteopenia is not full blown osteoporosis. .that is good news. .consider adding non prescription Calcium 600 mg per day.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID, non steriodal anti inflammatory drug. The active ingredient of ibuprofen is also known as Motrin.

Several different NSAID medications do not require a prescription. If one is not effective at reducing the inflammation try a different NSAID.

Do not mix an NSAID with aspirin.

But if you need some more immediate pain relief, taje acetaminophen 500 mg taken no closer than every 6 hours. It is imperative to allow you liver 6 hours in which to clear the acetaminophen before taking an additional dose.

Moist heat is most beneficial to OA. You might consider placing a wet wash cloth atop your hot water bottle.

Arthritis is an inflammation. Therefore you will derive the best results if you take the NSAID and the acetaminophen on a regular schedule for perhaos three weeks.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Firstly calcium I was told my levels were fine and I did not need to take extra however I will speak to my gp about this again after I get the dexa scan done and the results.  I am hoping it has stayed the same and not progressed to osteoporosis.

As I mentioned I cannot take nsaids even ibruprofen as it affects my IBS and in any case you need to take a PPI with them to protect the stomach and they don't agree with me either.  It took me ages to withdraw from taking them but that is another story.

I have also tried codeine type painkillers on prescription but found they caused the same side effects.  So in addition to paracetamol which I take the gp prescribed the gel I was not keen but so far good.  It was the consultant osteologist that advised me to take paracetamol which I take during flares up etc.  As I understand it osteo arthritis has no inflammation unlike rheumatoid although I assume other injuries would have some inflammation.  So yes I have been taking the ibuprofen gel and paracetamol  regularly during this latest problem.

I will post again once I have been for the Dexa scan.

Thank you for your interest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.