Dental surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had 4 teeth taken out 48 hours ago....the dentist used 2xlocal anaesthetics in my mouth. I have been really tired ever since. Could it be the anaesthetic, the stress, or because my body is working hard to heal itself?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi iris -

sorry to hear that your brush with the dentist has left you feeling so under the weather.. i'm no dentist but it seems to me there's EVERY possibility that the root of it could be any or all of what you suggest!

firstly, 4 teeth in one go is quite a marathon, be it under local or a general anaesthetic - just because you weren't feeling it didn't mean you weren't hurt in the process.  in my experience teeth can take a deal of brute force 'leverage' to get them out -  you may not have been aware of it but you can be sure your jaw was!   as with a general anaesthetic, my guess is the 'locals' would only be beginning to clear your system after 48 hours - but iris ..if you have any issues, no matter how small, regarding any of what happened i would urge you to get straight back to the dentist and seek their expert opinion.. for instance they may want to check there is no infection.

in the meantime, definitely get as much rest as it feels you need; bodies are great at patching themselves up but they can usually do with a little help along the way.

how about pain?  were you given any meds?  paracetomol and ibuprofen seem to work ok together - reducing pain and swelling.

..and what about weak saline mouth washes?  again, having recently undergone major tmj surgery (3rd since accident in '84) i can testify as to how much benefit such a simple thing can be.

i suggest the thing to do is give your body the time, space and loving it needs to get through and cross fingers, in a week or so this'll all be but a distant memory!

hope you're posting in a week to tell us you're happily wolfing down 'jawbreaker' toffees!  wink

• Posted

Thankyou so much.....such a lovely reply.  I know I expect far too much of myself......I'm 69
    • Posted

hello again iris   ;-)

thanks so much for your kind message - i only hope that you're feeling a wee bit better by now!

..and iris, lisalisa may well be right when she says 'two weeks' but i don't agree that you're expecting too much - aim high, i say ..even if you don't quite make it you'll still be better off than if you didn't try!  that sort of work would be hard going at 39, never mind 69 but if you push yourself just enough and no further i'm certain you'll soon be through it.

bye for now   wink

• Posted

Thanks once again.....I've been doing some gardening today while it has been sunny
    • Posted

hi iris

well. over a week now since you first posted and were feeling so rotten.. how are things going now?  all in the right direction, i trust.

i wonder whether your weather has been as good as ours here ..i can see why you wanted to be out in the garden!  wear a hat, drink plenty of water and the sun's all yours - does nothing but make you feel better about the day.

take care, iris     biggrin

• Posted

Hi....it's so kind of you to follow up with me! My mouth is very comfortable, the wounds are good and clean and without infection. Yes we are having beautiful weather and yes also to gardening! I've also been to my local beach today...had a walk and a lovely lunch. Thanks so much
    • Posted

..my pleasure, iris - good to hear you're feeling so well compared to a week ago!   biggrin
  • Posted

No one would feel all well yet. Its all of the things you said. Give it two weeks before you feel back to yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.