Dentist phobia.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please can any body tell me if they are scared to go to the dentist for fear of what they will say? ie got to have teeth out etc..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Julia, it's very common during this time to become afraid to visit a dentist. I've put it off for 2 years during my anxiety attacks, and horrible night sweats. And that was just for teeth cleaning, I can only imagine how stressed you must feel. But if you don't have a choice, then have the doctor give you something to relax your nerves. It can only help.
  • Posted

I hate the dentist and with anxiety in meno I have got sick and uptight with worry for a week before I've had to go.

I decided a few years ago I must try and look after them better so I do but I've had them refuse to do work because I'm so petrified and so resorted to trying valium for an appointment.

• Posted

Most of my childhood went with dreadful experiences in dentists and I was therefore used to it. However recently I feel nervous and anxious. I have to have a treatment but I keep postponing it since I can't face it. You are not alone. Good luck!
  • Posted

Definatley Julia. Paranoid about it and had to go last summer due to raging toothache because I had neglected them and actually needed an extraction. Worked myself into a frenzy of dread and Sheer fear, I was lucky to have a very good dentist who was very sympathetic and calming and didn't feel a thing - but I'm not going again due to anxiety and unless they can knock me out.
  • Posted

Hi Girls,

I understand your fears about dental treatment but please don't put it off.  Shop around and find a dentist  who listens to you and helps you with coping strategies, They are used to dealing with fear, anxiety and phobias on a daily basis and you will be able to find the right one .Nothing's easy during menopause and your anxiety levels will go through the roof.   If necessary make an appointment and "interview" the dentist to see what they can offer you, if they don't seem right go elsewhere. No dentist should ever refuse treatment because of your fear, any who do are dinosaurs.  I used to be terrified of going, having grown up in a culture of school dentists and knockout gas which made you ill for days. But things have certainly changed over the years.

I hope you get the help you need and deserve.

Good luck xx

• Posted

You are so right - it's getting in that black leather chair and feeling vulnerable uuuugghh x
  • Edited

Hi every one thank you all for your replies. It,s very much appreciated but I don,t think I have the courage to go still, my phobia is getting beyond a joke..It,s a long story as to why i,m so scared but it,s not the pain factor but i,m just scared they will say ive gotta have some teeth out and ive already had two out so then I think they will say that I need false teeth etc and that is just my wosrt nihgtmare and would send me into a major depression..
  • Posted

I can understand your concern julia.

But its necessary to visit during meno because meno affects the gums and teeth adversely. i noticed many older women go for treatment

have you considered root canal option ?

here the dentists clinic is so crowded - my dentist makes many comments like - 'you all come with worn out tyres'. he doesnt have a loo attached to the clinic and for root canal sessions which are pretty long its difficult to sit for long hours without going to the loo...especially with bladder problems

of course you must brief your dentist about the type of medication you are on right now- any supplements and changes in diets. you must give him the full picture

• Posted

Hi Julia, oh how I can relate to dental phobia! I've had it ever since I can remember, bad experiences with dental nurses at school(NZ) All my dental work now has been done under a general anathestic, I have spent thousands on dental work...teeth extraction, cleaning even a filling. And to ring the clinic & speak to the receptionist I have to prepare myself. My hubby always takes me, I usually wait in the car while tells them I'm there then I go in when called & I sit in the chair & shake n cry like a baby...I'm so terrified...so yes, I can relate to dental phobia. Now in meno I've noticed some gum bleeding & dreading what I might have to do! I have never been to the dentist on my own.  Do hope you manage to see a good & sympathetic dentist & get the care you need. All the best, take care
  • Posted

Julia, I have anxiety about going to ANY healthcare professional. I know I have to do it, but loads of anxiety. Its really bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.