Depressed

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi i have just moved to a small village about a month ago,i dont know anyone,im feeling very isolated,i have a lovely dog that i took on about a week after i moved in to my flat

i never see anyone unless i walk my dog,this feeling of loneliness is so overwhelming its hard to breath

i have no family,well that want anything to do with me,im starting to feel whats the point,i know im just having a bad day & tomorrow i will probably feel different but this pit in my stomache is unbarable

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Dawn. Don't give in. You must fight your fear. We moved from a large town to a small village last year and that's because we wanted a quieter and slower pace of life. Does your village have a library, or does it have it's own local paper or  is there one that covers your area? If so you will/can find plenty to fill your time. Are there any charity shops that may want volunteers?

If you walk your dog and you meet people say hello or good morning, be the first to try and make a connection and you'll be surprised the re-action you will get. Vary your dog walking route and you may get to meet different people. The pit in your stomache is just a sense of fear. Don't give into it. Tell yourself you have a friend in your dog and hopefully he will make some introductions for you! Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank you Gwen

i signed up to volunteer at a local charity shop & i start next week its only for a few hours a week but it is something

thank you so much for your kind words it means a lot

Dawn x

• Posted

I agree with Gwen, (and fear is also my worst enemy).

Try to remind yourself of why you moved there, and use that to motivate yourself to move forward and build a fuller life for yourself. People in a small village may be wary of you at first as a newcomer, but that is also fear. Small steps and keep busy...

• Posted

That makes a lot of sence

thank you... its amazing how preocupied the mind can be with negative thoughts when something goes wrong... i had forgotton my reasons for moving away but not anymore ... i will deffinately change my walks & get out more.... its quite hilly so i may lose a few pounds doing it too

fear has been a thorn in my side for most of my adult life which is scarey considering im in my 50s ...im not sure how to tackle that one but im going to investigate & see if there are any self help workshops or something similar

thank you x

• Posted

Hi, I know how you feel.  Feeling the same way too.  I am lonely from moving from a place I stayed at for 11 years into a new home/area.  I am in this new place for a year now.  It is also very isolated and quiet and I hate it.  I also never see anyone outside and it gets very depressing.  I get overwhelmed too and I feel lonely as well. 

Just wanted you to know you are not alone.  I wish I could give you some encouraging words but I cannot as I know how awful you are feeling right now.  Maybe it will get better, maybe not - who knows, only time will tell.

Should you ever need to chat please do so either here or you can send me a private message.

Take care Dawn !

• Posted

Hi Shabina

its not a nice feeling is it,iv just signed up to do some vollunteer work in a charity shop,its just to get me out,i suffer with fibromyalgia too which makes you very tired & hurt all the time

i thought getting out might help

if you need a chat please do the same ... thank you for contacting me it means a lot x

• Posted

Hi Dawn

You are most welcome.  I know what you are going through so I  understand.  It is definately not a nice feeling at all.  I am sorry you are suffering physically too.  I wish I could help.  Life is unfair and tough !

I am just living each day now whereas I used to be such a happy person.  I am now so miserable and depressed.

I will definately chat to you as well - take care

• Posted

Hi another thing you could get involved with is the local church,  you don't need to be religious.   Get yourself involved in country life and you will soon meet loads of people and make friends.

I don't know how old you are but how about joining an over 60's group or something.   There is bound to be one in your area.

I must admit I think you are very brave moving to a new area without knowing anyone.   I am more of a city girl myself so would hate to live in the country.  Good luck.   x

• Posted

Hi Hypercat

thank you for your lovely words,i will look at helping in my local church

i am in my early 50s so not quite ready to join the over 60s lol

i needed a break from family & a broken marriage so a lot to deal with

thank you again

Dawn x

• Posted

You are welcome.  Remember to that you can always move again if you are not happy there.   x
  • Posted

Dawn, 

I just returned  after 9 months away from this site. Depression is just an illness, its nota reality its a cloud just fogging out the really you. No illness is easy to fight and the body does allsorts to fight for you. Some illness you can cut away, some you body fix natural and sometimes we have to change and make small but significant changes.

Take things at an easy pace, and fight things in small pieces. I know 9 months ago I wanted to be fixed straight away but its just not realistic. You have to look at how other things take time to get built or fixed

• Posted

I can understand how lonely it must be for you. I often feel like that although I have a happy family life. Just earlier I was feeling like that. I was sitting on a bench on the seafront and someone came to sit by me. We had a nice chat and I felt so much better afterwards. She was probably in her eighties. I think older people have more time and are more inclined to chat with you. Try and meet other lonely people. There are plenty around. I also find that long walks are very therapeutic. Try and go out as much as you can. Best of luck x
    • Posted

HI dopy

i try to get out as much as posible but sometimes i can because of health issues too

you are right that older people have more time

i love walking with my dog,shes a victorian bulldog,sometimes its hard to get her to go out lol

thank you for your kind words

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.