Depressed from Sertaline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Over Three months ago I decided to stop taking my 100mg of sertaline the reason was a week before hand the doctor decided to put me onto ventflaxitine as well.. my tablets help with my anxiety but left me emotionless, tired ALL the time with absolutely no motivation and gaining weight rapidly. I know I should not have but I came off them right away halving my dose for a week then having none from then on and for around 6 weeks I had nasty side effects such as head aches, rage, sickness and a cold which were to be expected with not gradually coming of them. But I'm stuck in this weird phase where I'm not happy one bit I literally cry at something that's not even remotely sad on the tv or if I read something I have absolutely zero motivation if I could lie in my pit all day I would . I'm wondering when I'm going to be even a little back to before I started them. Has anybody succeeded coming of them? When will I be me again? I've never felt this low and depressed in my life.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi zoe ive never been on those meds but apparently they are known to be bad coming off them. Try getting an appt see if anything can be given just short term to get you through the worst x its an option @ least. My friend tried 3 times unsucsessfully and needed to go back on them but at a reduced dose. All ppl are diff tho so u may find if you can tough it out it will go soon.. good luck kp us posted xx
  • Posted

Hi Zoe

I currently am talking sertaline. I have been on the same dose also for around a year. Like you most days I am numb. I sleep all day since I haven't been able to attend work for just over a year also.

Throughout the year I have stopped them also and for about 2 weeks I'm fine then I crash. I can't sleep, I totally over think and worry about everything and battle with suicidal thoughts. This scared me and I decided to start them again. What I find is that yes when I stop taking them I love feeling myself again for that short space of time, but can't deal with the over thinking and hating myself for everything that I've ever done or decisions I have made. When I'm on them I have absolutely no motivation and have no enjoyment or energy which then makes me even more depressed. So I'm so totally stuck and confused because I can't get a happy medium. I sometimes think that maybe I'm bipolar and tomorrow I will be meeting a phyciatrist for the first time.

I have been talking anti depressants for 15 years now and I'm hoping I will get some additional help from tomorrow's meeting. I feel I really need a professional body to help me as the years are rolling on and I'm still suffering both depression and anxiety.

I'd also appreciate input from anyone else that has maybe found a different medication that helped.

Hope this helps knowing that I'm feeling the same and fighting the battle with you.

It would be great if we can benefit from seeking others advice.

Wishing you the best and hoping we both have a good day xx

• Posted

Hi Zoe

Just wondered if you have looked at the forum/ discussion for Sertaline? If you type the name into the search bar (top right) you should see the forum specific to that AD.

Hope you are feeling a bit better? You might find it helpful to go back and speak to your GP.

Best wishes - Shaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.