Depressed or lazy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all,

i've been pondering this question for quite a while. am i depressed or just lazy? i'm in year 12 and it seems like i've had no motivation to do anything lately. i can't pin point exactly why i feel this way, though. since i was in year 9, i've never really had a true motivation to do my school work. throughout the years that sorta developed into no motivation to do anything. i can't figure out if i'm just lazy or if i'm really depressed? there are things that still make me happy in life. those things are always only temporary, though. i talked to my doctor about my depression and he said that i probably have it but he doesn't think a pill or therapy will help me.

what i'm wondering is, where is the line drawn? how can one tell the difference between depression and plain laziness?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello, for me I noticed something wasnt right when i didnt want to do the things i usually loved doing. I usually loved going for walks in the hills and i use to love graphic design and drawing. So when I lost motivation to do those things thats when i knew it wasnt just laziness. What do you love doing? whats your hobby that you enjoy to do in you spare time?
    • Posted

now that i think about it... i have periods that i don't feel like doing things i normally want to do. for example, i love watching this youtuber. but lately i've not felt like watching them at all - at first i thought i was just growing out of it, but i've found that on certain occasions i still like watching them somewhat.

• Posted

If they make you feel better after watching them then you should keep on watching. Maybe you've just got bored of them lately, try someone else or another hobby you enjoy. Who do you watch on youtube? I've got a few I watch too. Nothing wrong with having a break, I feel like that all the time. I try and force myself to do the things i usually love doing, that way i might start enjoying them again. 

• Posted

I think the lack of motivation completely is depression. That's one of the major side effects. The line stays at where lazy is procrastination, while depression is the absence of any motivation. (: -hannah

• Posted

Hi Alex - sorry to read of your predicament. How do you feel when you wake up in the morning? Do you think "Oh no, another day?" Do you want to stay in bed and sleep forever? That would be depression. If, however, you are waking up thinking "What's for breakfast? What a bugger I have to get up to make it! I wish I had a million dollars so I could hire a maid to do it. Now I've got to sit up. Here goes, one, two, three..." then it might just be laziness, or, more precisely, boredom.

• Posted

most days i wake up and don't feel like dealing with life. i sorta just wanna stay in my dreams forever and not have to worry about actually having to live.

• Posted

Hi again Alex - sounds like depression. Make an appointment with your doctor and talk about it. Meds might be prescribed. You might need to dig out underlying issues with a therapist. You're young with a whole world ahead of you - it will be greatly to your benefit to tackle this issue now.

• Posted

i talked wit her my doctor about this issue yesterday. he said that i may have depression, but he doesn't think that a prescribed medicine nor therapy would do any good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.