depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Is it common for seniors to get depression ?     I have suffered for a long time on and off with it, but very mildly.    However it seems worse now I am in my seventies.   Don't want to take anti-depressants, because I have had bad reactions in the past and have ended up in A & E.

I would like to hear from anybody if you suffer from depression and what do you take, or do to try to combat it.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela

i am 68 yr female who has suffered with anxiety and depression most of my life! This is my fourth bout with this and it seems to be the worst to endure! I was on Lexapro for 9 yrs at 10 mil and it was a lifesaver! However it seem to stop working at  the 10 mil so my GP tried several others! Cymbalta, terrible, Prozac even worse and now I have increased Lexapro to 20 mil which I have been n for one week! Certainly hope this works! My anxiety is through the roof,

• Posted

There are some spices that claim to help depression
  • Posted

I'm taking an antidepressant that really has NO side effects and it is not an SSRI...

I am totally sensitive to medication.

It is Wellbutrin

• Posted

nice to meet you Angela.

I am also over 70 and find that the depression/anxiety is now permanent.

got to go I'll post later.

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Hi Angela,

14 years ago depression/anxiety first hit me...therapy and medication and I was reasonably ok and managed to cope.. I am over 70 and it came back about 5 years ago and I have been struggling ever since then. Tried just about everything, been hospitalised a few times.

I think when you are older every setback is more difficult to cope with. Depression/anxiety is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Do you see a doctor?

I am going to try and get an appointment with my p.doc before she goes on holiday. I seem to be getting "angry" and irritated. Not like me at all. She will want me to try another medication, don't really want to but can't keep on like this. Mornings and afternoons are the worse, after dinner I seem to feel a bit better.

There are alot of things you can try, magnesium being one of them..

Google "alternative treatments for depression". Worth a try.

take care and keep in touch

Sxx

• Posted

Thanks for answering.   I can relate to some of your issues.  In particular, along with depression is extreme irritability and anger.  Fortunately I have an understanding husband.    Apparently anger and irritatability go hand in hand with depression.    Winton Churchill described his as his "black dog" and it fits perfectly !

What makes this awful condition hard to understand is that I have everything I need - a loving husband, 4 grandchildren and a close relationship with my son and daughter.   I also have good friends.  I shudder to think what would happen if my life was really unfair. 

Like you also, and it is a common symptom of this, is that come evening I feel more like my old self.   Waking up in the morning is the worst time for me.

I am going to google alternative treatments for depression as you suggest.

I do hope you get yourself sorted on another medication and please keep me posted and I will do the same.

All the very best  smile

• Posted

I have just joined this forum today, I have had bouts of depression for over 25 years. I am now 72 and I have had (have) the worst depression ever. It started about 6 months ago. I have been on venlafaxine for many years and recently tried about 5 other anti-depressants, none of them work. I have been having therapy through Mind for the past 3 months and this did seem to help. But now 1 week after my last session I am back to square 1 

I feel beyond help, I have no reason to be depressed, I will go back to Mind therapy but I just wish I could feel joy sometimes. I have this awful emptiness inside and just want to cry all the time. If you find anything that helps please pass it on.

abstractvibe

• Posted

Hi Angela

Like you I really have not reason to be depressed husband, two daughters and grandchildren. 

I feel depression is worse than any physical illness it seems like there is no way out of the darkness.  I get a terrible gnawing emptiness inside of me which will not go away.  I get overwelmed with sadness and want to cry all the time. Even my home does not feel like home to me, I want to get out of it but dont know where I want to be. I  want my whole family around me and get separation anxienty when they are not here. I am a complete mess and my mood affects everyone. I seem to feel better at night but as soon as i wake up in the morning its back.I am on venlafaxine and I have had one to one therapy through MIND which did help for a short while.  They have suggested that I now have CAT therapy every week.  I dont know if this will help I just pray that it will.

• Posted

A big thanks to you all for replying to me.     I wish you all the very best.  Keep in touch, as I find contacting others with the same condition does help a little.

xxx

• Posted

Feel your pain! Everyday I think maybe I will feel better and I am praying it happens! It is a horrible thing depression and I do not understand why it is effecting me again! Wishing you the best to come!
  • Posted

Hi Angela 

• Posted

Have you tried St. John's Wort ?    You have to be careful if you are on prescribed medication.    Check with your G.P.   

You probably know this anyway, but if you don't have major health issues, exercise is a good mood booster.

I have found sniffing or inhaling, or even adding a few drops to your bathwater of Geranium essential oil.   Also Frankincense oil.  Hope this helps a little

• Posted

Thank you for your sugestions, I will find out about St.Johns Wort, I dont think I have tried it! I feel like I will never get rid of this feeling inside I havent been able to eat anyting for 3 days and I have lost 6lbs I dont need to lose weight so its not good. My daughters are going away soon with all the family and I am getting separation anxiety, its only for 2 weeks but I feel like I wont survive, silly I know but I am dreading it. I hope you are feeling a little better.
    • Posted

I am waiting for my appetite to come back Also! I need to get some relief from my nervousness and the jittery feeling I am now experiencing! On Lexapro for 13 days and having some side effects!
    • Posted

I am like you just hoping that something will change and that one day I will wake up feeling a bit better...things get a bit easier toward the evening but then I eat too much.

Some people do get  heightened anxiety etc from Lexapro but lets hope that you are one of the lucky ones and it wears off soon.

I came off Lexapro yesterday seemed to only get the side effects not the benifits, if of course the symptoms I have do have come from the med. I am back on citalopram, hoping that this will work better for me, Over sensitive to all the meds. which doesn't help matters.

Know the feeling, I call it fluttering.....in my chest and throat, plus the foggy brain and numb face....

do you have a good "network" to help you???

hope you are coping

take care

Sxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.