Depression and Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just spent the last 30 mins completing both the PHQ9 test and GAD7 test.

According to the results that I put in (umm) I am extremely depressed and suffering extreme anxiety. I think I will take the results to the GP and use them as evidence for a claim of Attendance Allowance.

As these are self assessed documents how much relevance would the DWP put on them?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Les,

I thought Attendance Allowance had been abolished this year, or was it 'U-turned' like many other changes, that failed with this government?

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi they re-opened it but the word is that by 2017 it will go permanently and be replaced by PIP at which time those who were over 65 at April 2013 will also have to go for PIP - the intention is to get rid of DLA for everyone - under 16's included

Eventually PIP will be the only benefit for the disabled.

How they are going to assess for mobility for the over 65's is anybody's guess.

I did apply for AA, but was turned down..

• Posted

No my original post was a tongue in cheek moment.

It seems that Depression and Anxiety is a self assessed condition.I didn't realise that and.I thought that there was more to it.

I know when I was diagnosed back in the late 90's, you had to have a physological/pyschiatric illness that had been diagnosed by a pyschiatrist and that Depression & Anxiety where simply side effects of that illness.

Mine was PTSD and brain damage that created D & A. 

I suppose anybody could fill the forms in and tell the GP that they feel depressed and anxious.

• Posted

Hi Les

From my time at the CAB I developed some theories based on the number of calls I used to take on certain issues.

One was that some conditions were being targeted. Depression and Anxiety would crop up time and again as ‘failed’ conditions for claimants of both ESA & PIP.

Fibromyalgia was another and often the reasons given were that ‘medication’ would magically make the condition non-existent. Poll the poster on this site is an example of what I saw many times.

With D & A the wonderful thinking of IDS was that sending someone to work would ‘fix’ them and basically end their D & A. If only the world worked in such an easy scientific way!

But to address your original point it is highly unlikely anyone would be awarded any benefit on the basis of a self-assessment Depression and Anxiety questionnaire.

• Posted

But the point I was making is that the system of a GP diagnosing D & A is for the patient to complete these self assessed forms and then the GP will treat the patient accordingly. Is it still the case that the patient self assesses in order to get a diagnosis?

I know this happens as it was done for me that way - I could have manipulated the scores if I had wanted to show a much worse condition. I didn't use any of that when I claimed ESA or DLA, the psychiatist's report along with the police reports/A&E reports/Sectioning authority/Criminal Injuries Board report were enough at the time to convince the DWP of my conditions and the problems I was encountering because of them.

• Posted

It has been abolished wish wrag was too total waste of time I know how too fill out CV write letters for jobs etc
    • Posted

I remember posting that email to my MP for DPAC - not that it made any slight difference, he still helps disabled people overseas and not in his own country! And, he voted for WRAG!

It's sick!

• Posted

Been twice now was asked too a action plain so i did i spoke too the lady who's my personal  advisor i asked about doing some local volunteering around my area we looked into and there is a very limted too what i can do she did my profile and i asked what's the red against my profile and she said i wont be going back too work so whats the point of me going ? done my pip too sent it last week i think they should put me in support group i wont fight as i may loose wrag and end up in jsa its madness 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.