depression/anger/self hate after abortion? please read. :/

Posted , 13 users are following.

sorry that this is so long.

i had a medical abortion in september. me and my boyfriend had only been together for 3 months.

i had always been completely against having children. i just didn't want any. then when i fell pregnant, everything changed, i wanted to keep the baby. maybe my maternal isntinct kicked in or something. but i genuinely cared for what was inside of me. 

i'm not going to paint my boyfriend in a bad light here. he did kind of push me a little to have the abortion, he said it was for the best. he didn't want to have a child when he couldn't provide support, he is currently studying at uni as am i. eventually, i made the decision to hae an abortion. it all happened so fast, i found out and then a few days later i've made an appointment. i became completely numb to the situation and just went with it. i expressed to my boyfriend how i felt when i first found out. after that, i didn't even talk about it, neither of us did we just carried on as normal.

i took the first pill, my boyfriend came with me. he asked me how i was then he went off and got on with his day. i took the second pill the day after, he stayed with me during the physical process. he asked me how i felt. i didn't know, i said i felt relieved. i think at first i did. and we went on our ways as if it never happened. we literally just didn't speak of it at all.

so nearly 5 months have passed and i have gone through so many emotions. i have felt upset, i have felt guilty. i began to resent my boyfriend, i blamed him for putting pressure on me. i blamed him for not supporting me emotionally. i feel like he thought that once it was over, that was it. but it wasn't for me. i think about it everyday, i torture myself with it. i replay it all in my head; the day i found out, taking the pills, the pain i went through. i imagine the pain the foetus went through. it makes me feel so sick.

i have kinda stopped resenting him in some ways. he was scared. and i was responsible too, in no way did he force me to have the abortion. if i said i didn't want one, he wouldn't have forced me to. he would probably have broke up with me out of fear, but i know he wouldn't have forced me to have it. so i have accepted that i am part responsible for the decision.

but i can't deal with that. i am getting so angry and i literally hate myself. i get to angry at the awful decision i made and then i eventually cry. i have had thoughts of hurting myself when the anger and emotion becomes too much. i haven't as of yet. 

i'm exhausted all the time. i feel like i can't talk to my boyfriend about it. i have brought it up a few times but i just feel guilty. i feel like i should be over it by now, he seems fine, why aren't i? i feel like a burden to him so i never bring it up. but at the same time, i get angry because i just wish that he would be there for me. i wish he'd listen, i wish he'd hold me. i wish he'd tell me how he feels/felt about it. but how can he listen to me if i don't say anything? i'm getting mad at him for something he has no idea about.

i'm honestly fed up and want this feeling to go away. i feel like i need to grive but i don't know how. i don't feel that i even have a right to grieve. i didn't lose anything, i voluntarily gave it up. i killed by baby. i'm a murderer. murderers do not deserve to grieve. every time i get close to feeling upset, i get angry at myself because i don't deserve to feel sadness. i'm a terrible person.

i honestly can't see a way past this. and i'm getting so mad at my boyfriend when he doesn't even have a clue what is going through my head. he's not a mind reader. but i can't find a way to bring it up. i cannot talk about it, but i need to. there's so much i want us to talk about. i want him to help me through it and be there for me. but he's over it now. i don't think it affected him at all. but at the same time, not once did i ever ask him how he was feeling. 

i hate myself. i'm done here.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I realize this is an old post, but I am going through a similiar experience and I suppose I am looking for some form of comfort as I am dealing with a stormcloud of emotions I was not expecting to experience. I am 25F, graduated from college, in a loving and suportive relationship of 3 years... we simply weren't ready to be parents. We made the decision together, and now that it's over with, I am full of resentment. I feel like I am viewing my experience completely differently than I did when I was amidst everything. It's only been a week or so but I feel so violently angry at times, and it seems to come out of nowhere. I am curious to see where you are at now, how you and your boyfriend are doing if you're still in a relationship, and how you are feeling about your experience. I am so sorry you had to go through this, and I want you to know you are not alone in what you were feeling because I am feeling this way, too. Virtual hugs and well wishes xoxo

• Posted

Hi, I’m here and in the same situation, I felt backed into a corner and only just went through with it after freaking out in theatre, why did they still go through with it? I keep asking myself... “it’s for the best” said my husband, I freaking hate the world right now. I’ve never felt so bad about anything, nor have I been through anything as hard. How to survive this is something I’m so stuck on 😪

• Posted

Hi

I seen this post an I can relate to it on so many levels. I had my abortion nearly 6 months ago, I found out I was pregnant just after I left my partner of 6 years. We already have one child together, who is nearly 2 and I couldn’t face bringing up another child on my own and I wanted to give my little one that I already have, the best life possible. So I had the abortion and it hurts like crazy everyday I find myself saying sorry to it in my head, I’m being tortured I know it sounds crazy but I loved it so much and I’d give anything for it to be still with me. I’ve booked an appointment for the doctors, to see if I can get some professional help. As I did it for my little one and this is not helping him. How do you feel now please tell me it gets easier. 

Thanks x 

• Posted

Did counseling help you? I am in a very similar situation. I’m 21 and I have two children that I have raised completely on my own(with only the states help) & recently I had an abortion because I was working(finally off the states money) & I got pregnant by my ex boyfriend(my other children’s dad) and I knew I just felt so alone and lost, like I didn’t really have a choice because I would have to raise another one on my own and I felt like it would ruin my other kids life and I would have to worry about bills and being able to buy diapers and food, but since the abortion I’ve cried everyday. I want it back so bad and I feel like the worst mother in the world even tho I’m always there for my children. I just can’t get past it and of course I’m on my own with my grieving(which I don’t feel I deserve to do) it’s just really overwhelming. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.