depression schizophrenia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i'm a 17 year old male. My life since i moved to a foster care 5 years ago or something like that, i've forgot when it was, has been very bad in the latest years. The first year or two was allright but then depression struck, i got very depressed in the mornings and at the nights and i sometimes couldn't sleep because i was very depressed, i started to not give a darn about my life, i began to do crimes and use drugs which keept the depression away so i kept on doing it and i got very aggressive. Aggression keeps the depression away aswell so when i'm depressed i'm very aggressiv and can get very p*ssed off by tiny things. I've had suicide thoughts many timesand the criminal life i've been living has made me very paranoid and i've got a short memory, but. I met a girl on the internet around 6 months ago, i forgot when it was, shemade me want to continue live, she makes me happy when we are talking and she keeps my depression away so i stopped with drugs and crimes. I realized that i love her and she is the only person i care about and i can't stop thinking of her and when we're not talking i'm depressed and not happy but i've still got paranoia. Sometimes i think that she don't want to talk with me and that puts me in a very depressive mood because for me she is my best friend and nothing can replace her and i don't want to loose her as friend because i would relapse to the drugs and crimes or suicide and i think that i've got schizophrenia because i have many signs of it or i'm just extreme paranoid. I'd really want any tips that could help me in anyway because everyday is painfull, thanks in advance.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi schizophrenia, It looks like your having a terrible time. Its good that you have stopped the recreational drugs. Yes they will make you feel better while you are high but ultimatly they will make your depression worse. They are probably the main cause of your paranoia as well and definatly will be causing your memory problems.

You have recognised where you are and what your problems are. That is the important first and hardest step to recovery, and you have done it. Well done, its never easy to do that.

As you have been placed in foster care I will assume that your family background has been difficult. When you are let down by the most important people in your life it is very hard and often leads to mental health problems. But you dont need me to tell you that. Have you been to the doctor? If not please go. Explain to the doctor what you have said here. Write it down first and take it with you, this will make sure you don't forget anything important. Ask to spee a councillor, after everything you have been through, drugs or meds will not be enough speaking to a councillor, someone who will not judge you and will listen to you is an important step. The doctor may offer you medication along side the councilling. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel and you have taken the imnportant first step and acknowledged your problems, this was hard to do so again well donr for that. Next step, Doctor and councilling. Stay off the drugs, they WILL make your worse. I went to the dark places with too much E and firends have done the same with coke. Weed will make you paranoid and ruin your memory. Good news is that its not permanant and you will recover when you stay off them. Good luck, I think you can do it.

• Posted

Dear Schizo!!

First, have you seen your GP and told him/her how you feel.  Get to people who have the power to help you.

Self-help groups are great -  find one near you - try the internet or local papers.

You won't lose this star in your life if you try your best to get some help.  You won't really get any better on your own, nobody expects you to.

Find a counsellor via your GPs surgery or try the 'phone book.  Send them a note like your posting above or telephone them and ask to speak to a counsellor  first, and tell them you don't have much money but that you need help.  Very often they give the first session free.  Talking to someone DOES WORK and helps you get yourself together.  If you really want to get your life back together, YOU are the only person who can do it -  you need help to do this but the first move MUST come from YOU.  GO TO IT!    YOU CAN DO IT I KNOW

• Posted

I second what the other replies say. If you are in Britain you need to see your GP first. Depending on the area you live you may even be able to get some counselling sessions on the NHS, ( you can in the area I live, because I am waiting), only problem is you may have to wait. Yes you can pay which would be a lot quicker, but when I paid for a session back in 2008/9 it was £25 an hour. This reply is for information to help you with making a decision about your life. Good luck let us know how you go on.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replys, i'd rather not do anything with the government to do because i dont like any of them because they put me here and dont want those i live with to know because they would be asking about it and i dont like them, it would be the last thing i would do, the drugs isnt a problem for me to stop with, i've been on a relapse last week but i can stop right away if i want but id rather not stop with it because i dont want depression to come and im working aswell now and its really killing me when im depressed. Im wondering if you guys have any tips on how to have positive thoughts because i think it would really help much. If i just could keep the depression away would make me be able to stay here for one more year til i can get out of here. Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

Going to the GP is not 'Government'. I can see why you feel it may be though. Anything discussed with the GP and and treatment you recieve is fully confidential and a doctor will not tell anyone, including your foster parents or any government agency. It is safe.

If I had a penney for every time a user said they "can stop right away if i want but id rather not stop" I'd be a millionair. This is very typical rationale of a drug dependant user. The unfortunate fact is you will not improve while taking recreational drugs. Its not a conspiracy, it is a fact of life. I have said this to many people. While you are using drugs you will not trully know how much of what you feel is real and how much is part of a comedown.

If you are looking for help with positive thinking google cognitive behavioural theropy (CBT). A lot of is about changing the way you think about things. Also Paul McKenna has a good book called I can make you happy. That has a great deal of really good self help exercises designed to improve your mental well being. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.