Derealization sucks.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm gonna get straight to the point here. I think i've been suffering from derealization 24/7 for about two weeks now. I haven't had any drugs or trauma, but I do have health anxiety and have been battling that for about 3 months. My therapist isn't available until March. Every day when I wake up it still feels like I'm in a dream. My family and friends seem so foreign and it feels weird when I try to talk to them. I also get this stupid repetitive thoughts like "What if no one is real?". Or "What if my whole life isn't real?" I just want it to stop but I can't stop thinking about it because it feels like I'm losing my mind. Even my own house feels strange. When I go out in public, I get kinda dizzy and zone out a lot. Then I get uncomfortable around people because I might lose control and hurt someone, which is something I would never do! This is so fustrating because it feels like it will never stop and I feel like no one understands. I'm afraid if I tell someone about this, they'll send me away to a mental institution. Sorry about the rant but I'm really fed up with this. I just want to go back to normal and be happy and myself again. 

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

derealization is a way of your mind protecting you from stress anxiety etc its very scary im dealing with it right now rolleyes but apparently we need to accept ir and let it pass the more we stress the. longer it stays
    • Posted

Yeah. But it's so hard not to think about it and it's like a cycle because the more you think about it, the more anxiety, etc. Wishing you good luck and hoping you can beat it. 
    • Posted

exactly you can be. feeling okay and. bamb its back ;( when you have. it does everything around you overwhelm you like its all too much?
    • Posted

Yes! Exactly. Like even my living room is just foreign and weird and it's just ughhgh. The bad part is that talking with someone doesn't help because you feel so detatched. Are you taking any meds for it? If you are, does it help?
    • Posted

its so scary isnt it?

i was on sertraline but it made me worse tbh rolleyes so im weaning off im hoping to beat. this on my own. what about you?

• Posted

I don't take any meds at the moment. It feels like it will never get better sad Sorry for asking so much, but one more question, is it worse in the morning? 
    • Posted

no worries youre not asking too much smile and yes sad mornings are worse especially when im alone i start to think im going crazy i just wanna feel like me again
    • Posted

Yeah, I absolutely hate being alone, I fear I might lose control and hurt myself or someone else. But anyways, thanks for the replies, I feel a lot better now that I know someone feels the same way. wink
    • Posted

yw youre not alone even though it feels like it rolleyes naps usually help too 💚💚
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I think I'll go take a nap or meditate or something now. You take care as well. lol
    • Posted

ty i hope u feel better too 😊

God bless💜

• Posted

I feel your pain a little. Public places seem alien to me and I don't want to be out there. Is there a stand by therapist that you can talk to or your doctor
    • Posted

Unfortunately there isn't another therapist, but hopefully I can manage to get through this in the meanwhile. 
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this, I'm going through it at the moment to and I have good days and bad days. Yesterday was good today not as much. Judging from what I've read its just about the waiting game, doctors don't seem to do much, just brush it off as anxiety... hang in there
    • Posted

Yesterday was better for me too. Today was a lot worse sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.