Dermatitis after surgery please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys I had a breast surgery on Tuesday. By Thursday I got a rash that was only placed on the top of my chest. I am assuming this is coming from the prep they used. It is red tiny bumps that is spreading (because I was scratching). I have super super sensitive skin to begin with so I am not surprised his has happened. My question is does anyone have any remedies that worked for them? I have tried hydrocortisone which STINGS so bad; I did an oatmeal paste which soothed it but I can't walk around with that all day. Also tried calamine which either stings or just barely helps. I do not care about the appearance it is the HEAT and pain that I am going through. Also yes I have taken Benadryl. Please any home remedies are greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did they use steroids? I know you said you used them after it started. If so please look Hove TSW/RSS (topical steroid withdrawalsyndrome / red skin syndrome)

you might also be allergic to the utensils, nickel allergy is not uncommon. Or did you screws or such left in?

If it's an allergy, honestly the best thing is not using anything. Riding it out. But if you do use things be vary careful to only use things you've used before, and keeping a strict journal of what you use when.

Cool pads can be a blessing.

So sorry you're going through this.

Prayers for your surgery recovery as well as this

God bless

• Posted

Honestly I am not sure if they used steroids. I am a scrub tech and am usually in surgery with this doctor but she did my surgery smile it was a breast augmentation. What I am thinking is the prep they used to prep my chest with which is called dura prep I believe it has iodine/betadine and what not. So the rash did not start till day 2 or 3 because I had not washed really good because obviously it was painful. I think the prep just sat there on my skin. But it's just weird where it is placed. I am also wondering if dermatitis can be caused by a stress response my body is very sensitive to stress and my skin is the number one thing that is always sensitive. I just want to know that it is somewhat a normal reaction and how long does it take to go away. Have you had dermatitis before? I'm assuming I have dermatitis just by looking at the photos of other people. I just have not seen this happen to any of my patients post operatively. Thank you so much for responding

• Posted

A person can be allergic to anything is part of the problem!

As you feel it's the prep solution, would it be possible given you work there to do a test on a very small section of your arm or such yourself? It's not the same as a patch test, they stay on your skin for 2 days. But it would be a good first thought.

You could also be allergic to any other product or utensil used.

ACD is a common problem. General dermatitis is too. Most often though most doctors just treat it, and don't try to establish the cause!

I'd be more likely to suspect the products or surgery itself as route cause rather than stress. But it can certainly play a part.

As for how long, it's tricky. Each persons allergy can be a different level of reaction. There are actual levels one gets diagnosed with. It also depends how much your skin absorbed. And obviously given your skin was cut, you'd have absorbed more than regular skin.

You're most welcome!

God bless

• Posted

We figured it out. Is the TAPE that we drape the chest and it is in a square. My rash began to go down my rib cage on both sides. So apparently I have an allergy to that tape. Very big allergy. They gave me a steroid pack and RX cream to put on twice a day. I could not tolerate steroid in high dose (I am a wimp). So I had to taper at a low dose. It has gotten better. Very slowly. It took I would say 5 days with th steroid till I really felt relief and I had to make myself take Benadryl during the day which is the worst cause it makes you so tired. So I was really loopy all week. But glad I know I have that allergy to the tape. The reaction has been worse than recovering from my surgery that's all I have to say.

• Posted

Hi There I just need a few ideas about dermatitis.

I have had dermatitis or excema on my hands for 9 months and never had it before. I have beee given cortizone and fatty cream which seems to be working.

4 days ago I had an local anasthectic for a suspicious spot on my leg.

Two days later I came out with a bad red patch all over my chest.

Is there any chance the anasthectic could have started it off ?

I used the cortizone last night and took an antihistomine tablet which made me sleep nearly all day. I did already have a few scaley spots on my chest .

• Posted

Try eating turmeric for a few days. Studies have shown that turmeric contains curcumin which helps to reduce inflamation of skin and is seen as a viable home remedy for treating dermatitis. Cook some pasta and/or rice as these normally go well with turmeric.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.