DERMATITIS on face after moving to Madrid Spain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im from california and am 22 years old 

So after a month in spain i started to really itch my face mostly, My face has a rash thats on my nose, cheeks, above my lips under my nose, eye lids and forehead. The rash is mostly little bumps but also consists of a few larger ones that looks like little zits(could be zit from touching my face so much). and around the area is semi red. Ive gone to a dermatologist who tells me i have dermattis and pretty sure he said it was contact dermatits. I was prescibed fluticrem which is corticosteroids .05 and after a week of use my skin got incredibly better there was alot less itch the rash was almost gone and i was very happy with the results also taking antihistemines.

Im allergic to dust but it has never been a problem besides a stuffy nose, my apartment is really dusty, so I ultimatly thought thats what was causing it, so i washed all my sheets in hot water with hypo allergenic detergent and put dust mite protector down. this was durning the week of getting better using the above. After it got worse Next thing i could think of was that it was the alcholol because i went to barcelona over the weekend and drank alot and was not in a dusty enviroment and the rash got worst after.I have always drank alcholol on the weekends just like i did in barcelona. Also i changed my shaving cream the same time i started to get the itching and rash about a month ago. So befor barcelona i did not shave for about a week and a half the same time it didnt get better. So when i went to barcelona i stopped taking my corticosteroids shaved and drank three nights in a row. 

the shaving cream contains ISOPENTANE, Polytetrafluoroethylen, ingrediants that cause dermatitis. Isopentane is the one that is known to cause dermatitis the most and nose iratation. my other shaving cream ive always used did not contain these ingrediants. 

So Im very puzzled and would some other professional insight. Is it the drinking which has never been a problem in the past. The shaving cream or dust. Or just something else i havnt noticed 

but my groind area and scrodum itch too but the groin area under my scodrum between my legs stopped mostly. The problem is my face mostly It itches all day and my shoulders and chest but not as much though. My face 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you are a Facebook user, you could try searching for Eczema, dermatitis group for support and advise. I've recently developed eczema/dermatitis but am in my 60s so think you need a younger group reply! I do not use detergents, gels, cleaning products and if I have to I wear gloves but no idea what the trigger is. My hands became almost unusable as swollen, painful and lots of small pustules which hurt if open. A lot better since learning how to minimise my allergy/allergies whatever they may be. Good luck as difficult to find cause.

• Posted

The location of your skin problem (around the nose, eyelids, forehead, shoulder, and chest) might indicate that it is seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD). SD can be triggered or aggravated by a skin irritant or in more severe cases by a contact dermatitis

I had this problem and my dermatologists were clueless as to why the medicated shampoos and creams for SD were not working. The treatment was only successful after finding out that I also had an allergy and after carefully avoiding the allergen. Like Leighites I try to avoid contact with detergents and cleaning products. I can only use shampoos and toothpastes which to not contain sulphonated fatty acids.

I left some more details as to what helped me calm down the skin irritation in a private message.   

• Posted

Hi Danr

Can you tell me what products you used please.

I have sebhorric dermatitis on the right side of my face and eyelids.

My GP gave me creams etc, but they made it worse.

Would be interested to see what others are using.

Thanks

Junie

• Posted

Hi, I left you a message with the products I am using.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.