Dermoid cyst - post surgery questions

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi there,

Thank you for clicking in and reading this.  I have read a lot of discussions in the site from all the bravo ladies who had went through the surgeries, your experiences are very helpful to me.  Thank you so much.  At this point, I am very worried about my upcoming laparoscopic surgery on March 16, 2015.   I have a 7cm x 4cm cyst diagnosied on Dec 31, 2014.  Then, I am not sure it became larger or just a different measurement from a second opinion, it was 9cm x 8cm on Jan 22, 2015.  I still could not really see/feel it when I stand up, but lying down was different.  I saw a bump.  Actually, I am most worried about what can/can't I do after the surgery.  I hope to get some answers from your experiences:

1) I knew carbon dioxide is going to be injected into my body, so I will be bloated for a few days.  But how long does the gas stay inside your body?  How does the gas go away?  I read people were taking windeeze, is it really needed?

2) How bad is the constipation?  I do suffer from constipation from time to time.  I have bowel movements like every 3 days.  Is it more like the same or much worse?

3) What caused the chest/shoulder pain?  Is it the wound? or the gas?

4) How is your appetite?  Can you eat solid food?  or simply only soup?

5) My doctor said I need a few days to recover, but I have read the recovery time is about 7 - 8 weeks.  Why is there such a big difference?  What was that I am missing? 

6) I do go to the gym twice a week, so how long before I could hit the gym again?  I understand the healing of the wound should be fast on the outside, but I am just worried about the healing inside becasue I really cannot tell.

7) Can I take showers?  Or I will need someone to clean me?

8) My next period is due about a week after the surgery, will there be any difference? I mean more or less blood flow?  longer or shorter?

9)  Finally, I am also worried about getting back pains after lying on the bed for so long.  Is it possible that I could sit up?  Is this bad? 

Thank you so much.  I hope everyone who had done similar surgeries have been recovering good.

Vane

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you have plenty of questions. That's good. Is there any possibility that rather than air you could have fluid for your laprascope . .?  I ask ,as I have had four laprascopes and three major surgeries since I was 17, I am now 44 and have many adhesions from these surgeries which have now left me suffering with chronic pain, with a blocked Fallopian tube with a cyst in that no one will remove due to me having to also remove part of the bowel,as the adhesions have fused my organs.  I know that there is much less adhesions formed when they use a fluid within the cavity. I am not sure if this is still in it's infancy,but if I were you I would ask.

right to answer your questions. . 

You will have a bit of wind and bloating after the op but each person is different.. Moving around does help this shift and isn't too unpleasant, you may find it helps to drink a little warm peppermint tea or a peppermint cordial 

• Posted

Hi.... Hope my experience can help you. I had a large dermoid cyst removed during emergency surgery in June 2013. I was in a great deal of pain and didnt even know i had a cyst and was rushed into hospital and into surgery.

Unfortunatle my cyst was over 9cm and was twisting and it destroyed my ovary and tube on right side and i had to have my ovary and tube removed when they removed the cyst. 

I be happy to talk or reply via here or if you would like to private message me. Please feel free to ask anymore questions.

Just to explain i have had two more surgery since the above, one was to investigate for endometriosis cause i had more pain, which was negative. Then i had surgery Friday 27th Feb (Few days ago) as i developed simple fluid cyst on the left ovary and bladder. I am going back to see consultant in few weeks time to dicuss.

Answers to your questions:..... I have replied in bold letters... so you can see my response. 

1) I knew carbon dioxide is going to be injected into my body, so I will be bloated for a few days.  But how long does the gas stay inside your body?  How does the gas go away?  I read people were taking windeeze, is it really needed? The gas moves towards your shoulder blades and can be uncomfortable when lying down after surgery. So the more you move around little and often it helps the pain that you get from the trapped wind in shoulder blades or under your ribs. It passes and gets easier. I had operation on Friday and its Tuesday now and i feel no more gas pains, just stiffness in shoulders. which eases over next few days as well. I would suggest trying windezze medication if you want. but i think the best thing is moving little and often as that is what they reccomend and is proven to help. This is my 3rd time. 

Your bloated tummy will take a little loner to go down due to your inside being inflammed from surgery. But every week it goes down.

2) How bad is the constipation?  I do suffer from constipation from time to time.  I have bowel movements like every 3 days.  Is it more like the same or much worse? Constipation -I had bad constipation really bad when i had my big dermoid cyst but once it removed i didnt have any problems with going to the loo. i used to be over a week sometimes before having a bowel movement. but after dermoid was removed i never really had any problems. It ususally takes a few days after operation before you empty your bowel. however it may take longer if your on strong pain medication cause it will cause you to become constipated so make sure you drink enough water or ask or buy a stool softner like dulcolax to help it easier to go to the loo.

3) What caused the chest/shoulder pain?  Is it the wound? or the gas? The shoulder pain and pain under the rib is due to the gas. but try to sit up slightly and not completely flat for the first few days and move little and often like i said before.

4) How is your appetite?  Can you eat solid food?  or simply only soup? I found that i didnt want to east very much for first few days or week.. I would avoid greesy fatty firsts. stick with simple stuff. plain. i had toast for first few days and yogurts. As you can get a sore throat from the airway tube during operation so yogurts help massively.

5) My doctor said I need a few days to recover, but I have read the recovery time is about 7 - 8 weeks.  Why is there such a big difference?  What was that I am missing? I would say at least 6 weeks to recover. You cant drive for at least 10days some surgerons/hospital say 6 weeks. I wouldnt drive for at least 6 from my experience. Dont pick up heavy things for at least 4 weeks. I would say everyone different but after a week you will feel completely different. First few days are hard emotionally and physically. Make sure you rest and try to use techniques to help you relax cause its hard to except you need to just relax. You probably find after the main drugs during the operation go out your system you will find your pain changes slightly. So just keep taking it day by day and keep your fluids up and pain relief medication.

6) I do go to the gym twice a week, so how long before I could hit the gym again?  I understand the healing of the wound should be fast on the outside, but I am just worried about the healing inside becasue I really cannot tell. Everyone is different but i would say light exercises after 4-6 weeks at least. then take it from how your feeling. if you push yourself too far you will feel more pain or sore so i would just take day but day. you could always work on other areas and not your tummy etc. you will see as you go along.

7) Can I take showers?  Or I will need someone to clean me? You should have plaster or covers for your stiches/wounds. My first operation i was glued up but on my 2nd and 3rd i had glue and then strip stiches that dissolved and dressings. i would wait at least 3 days before you have a shower and try and keep the wound as dry as you can to avoid infection. For the first few days just use dry shampoo in your hair, use face cloth and little bowl to  just give your bits and under arm a freshen up. Dont lock doors for first few days incase you dont feel well - make it accesible for people to get in just incase. I doubt be any problems but i would just be safe.

8) My next period is due about a week after the surgery, will there be any difference? I mean more or less blood flow?  longer or shorter? if your periods are regular am guessing they will be the same. Mine were regulare but they became a lot lighter, however everyone is different. i would make notes of your symptoms and dates or period flow etc and show your consultant or doc if you have any issues.

9)  Finally, I am also worried about getting back pains after lying on the bed for so long.  Is it possible that I could sit up?  Is this bad? 

I would say dont worry too much about lying down in bed. just have support and to be honest sitting up would be better for the gas but i would give your body chance to heal afterwards to help recover. if your bend completely sitting up you may find it a little uncomfortable and gas may get trapped in ribs. i found that and then i just sat up and walked around room for a min and then sat down.

Some people say popping a hot water bottle on shoulder can help relief from gas pain but i havent done that.

Hope that helps.... am happy to answer anymore questions.

Have you had any problems before.. and can i ask how old you are and have you got children??

what date is your operation?? - Do you have family who can look after you.

Am 32yrs old and no children yet. I am wanting to start trying this year.

• Posted

Sarah

These are brilliant answers and helpful to so many of us, thank you. I have an investigative laproscopy due within the next 12 weeks so this info is great. Thanks again 😊 x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Oh gosh! Is 6 weeks the minimal?  Actually I am very confused now.  When my doctor first told me about the surgery, she said I will need a few days to recover.  I then read online, others' experiences is about 8-9 weeks.  When the nurse called me confirming my surgery date, she said 4 weeks recovery time.  I told her last time the doctor told me it is going to be a few days, but I want more days off.  She then said, oh, ok, I can at most give you 2 weeks.  So, I ended up telling my boss I am taking 2 weeks off.  I am so confused now. 

That's great to hear about your constipation story.  I hope I will experience the same.  Constipation has been an issue throughout my life. 

V

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Great reply and really helpful , I have a 10 complex cyst awaiting date for op had ct scan on 23 feb , dermoid cyst when are patients classed at ultrasound or post surgery , I'm worried think can't determine what my solid pieces are until it's removed and biopsy done , on two week referrals and had a borderline ca 125 result as like everyone stress is having affect on my home family and work take care xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It made me feel alot better. Im only worried about going underground anesthesia. How was your experience going underneath anesthesia? Im scared how i will react. 
  • Posted

Hi :-) I had a dermoid removed last year. I'll try and put your mind at rest.

The gas takes a couple of days to disperse naturally from your body, peppermints will help, as well as gentle movements around the house. It is the gas that causes the shoulder pain as it presses on your diaphragm, the shoulders share the same nerve endings which is why the pain is felt there but in my experience it felt like mild trapped wind!

Listen to your body with your food,if you're hungry then have what you want but I would suggest plenty of natural fibre to help if you do get constipated (I also still use benefibre powder which I add to a hot drink).

I was off work for ten weeks due to the lifting I do but I was generally sore for 3 weeks after.

As for the gym just see how you feel and I would ask for your doctors advice on that one.

My period wasn't any different after the op.

I bought some waterproof dressings to put over my wounds for the shower but after a week I was told it's ok to get the wounds wet.

Sitting up in bed is sore after the op, I rolled onto my side gently and pushed myself up with my hands to avoid using my abdominal muscles.

Last of all, all of this sounds much worse than it actually is. I was worried too but apart from needing some decent pain killers lined up for the first few days afterwards my main complaint was boredom from resting around the house :-)

Good luck with your op, you'll be fine

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

This might be a stupid question.  When you say peppermints, is it peppermints capsule?  or tea?  does gum work, too?

My doctor is writing me prescriptions.  The nurse said I will need them, but I forgot to ask what they are for.  I am picking them up this weekend and hopefully they are some decent pain killers and laxatives.

Thanks.

V

• Posted

Hi. I had peppermint sweets but some people swear by the tea too to help with the gas x
    • Posted

Hi v17- i bought peppermint capsules from Boots chemist. You only need 1 a day- they're really good and gentle.x
    • Posted

Hello how did it go in the end I have to have surgery and have anxiety panic attacks and the thought is making me ill I'm in a lot of pain on right side like a dull pain going into leg is this normal x

• Posted

Hi sorry sent that too soon.. 

If you are constipated just let the staff know they can give you something but although I suffer with constipation I always find I will go within a few days of an op..

When I had a cyst burst in my right ovary when I was 17 .I was still walking around for three days but the pain in my shoulder was horrendous, I was told it was referred pain. If you have that it's just the bodies way of dealing with the amount of pain ..if you get it after the op it will be wind and again this is eased by movement.

You should be able to eat normally the day after your appetite should return quickly. You may experience abit of nausea when you come to,depending on what they use to knock you out..it will pass.. You will most likely be thirsty when you come to, try not to drink too quickly..

the recovery time in hospital varies but usually you will be home fairly rapidly..the scars on the outside are so minimal that after a couple of weeks you will have to remember that you may have a few more stitches still dissolving inside.. Nothing too strenuous for 8 weeks usually. As long as you don't have a heavy manual job then you should be fine to work by this time.. But again each person is different. You have an added bonus of being a regular to the gym. This will stand you in good stead . Generally if you are fit and don't smoke your healing time should be quite quick. You will know when you are ready to return to the gym. Listen to your body and don't over do it..

if they operate early morning they will most probably get you up to sit in the chair or get you up sitting in the chair next day and encourage you to walk a little the next day. It's good to get up and move about..just don't do it alone or too quickly after as you may still be groggy. You can have a bath or shower next day just expect to be a little nervous ..you shouldn't really need help once your steady on your feet. 

As for your period , everyone is different, expect it may come early with the poking and prodding,but it may come late.. Take some towels in just incase. No one can answer that really.. 

Once you have had surgery and slept a little when you come to, it's ok to sit up.. You will have two small wounds. It depends on each person how they feel when they come round from the anesthetic . But you can pull yourself up a little for a while. 

Just listen to your body.. And good luck ..kind regards and blessings to you.. Sally 

• Posted

Sally, Sarah, and Lynda,

Thank you so much for your replies.  It looks like I am just worrying too much.  Perhaps this is the first surgery of my life and I really need  assurance.  My op is March 16, 2015, so it is a little less than 2 weeks from now.  I am 37, not married and no kids.  My doctor said she is going all the way to save my ovaries, but she also mentioned she won't know it all until she opens me up. 

I never had any problem before except about a year ago, a sharp pain on my lower right abdomen.  It only lasted 3 hours, so I was not aware of that at all.  I thought it was just something I ate(food poisioning).  However, the same kind of pain reappeared again 2 days in a row at the end of last year and lasted 2  whole days.  I ended up seeing the ER and this was how I discovered it.  Since I am not married, so I have not been going to the gyncologist for the last 10 years. I guess if I do regular annual check up, I would have found it earlier. 

• Posted

Unfortunately an annual check may not have picked it up..  But you will be fine.. Just one thing I would say is please make sure you know all the options and possible outcomes to this surgery.. I am here if you wish to ask me anything and I will try and help as best I can.. I have no children . I tried Ivf in 2006 but it failed. I only have one tube and ovary on the left .  And after 7 surgeries for cysts tumours and a strangulated Fallopian tube I am sure I may have answers . Don't worry you will be fine .. Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

This is going to be an outpatient OP, I do not need to stay in the hospital.  I am scheduled for 1pm and expected to leave at around 5pm. 

Wow!  7 surgeries?  You must have gone through a lot!  Did you have more than 1 dermoid cysts?  Did they come back?  I assume they are all benign.

The doctor said I also have a couple of fibroids in my uterus.  The larger one is about 2cm x 2cm.  She said she is not going to remove them at this time because I will lose a lot of blood.  She said it is no harm at this point.  If they ever grow bigger, she will consider to removing them.  Do you happen to know something about this?  Thanks.

V

• Posted

I had my first and hopefully last surgery via keyhole in December, I took two weeks off work and then went back but avoided lifting for a couple of weeks at work.  Had no problem with gas pain, but was up and moving although slowly soon after and managed well at home on my own, constipation only slight but drank lots of water and more fruit. Different advice given by different nurses and Drs difficult to know what's right, you have to go with what's right for you and your body, just take it easy. Wishing you a good recovery.
    • Posted

Yes all where benign. Regarding the fibroids in your uterus,they are still small but please consider reading up about alternative options for treating these.. As the more surgery you have the more problems you will have, like myself now, I suffer from chronic pain and the adhesions from the surgeries I have had now put me in a position at 44 where they will not operate until I present as an emergency at A&E as my blocked tube is fused to my bowel. So the next surgery will leave me with a permanant colostomy bag as they will have to remove part of the bowel... So my sincerest advice to all the ladies out there is, listen to your bodies try other treatments essential oils ,herbs ,change in your diet,anything  ask the questions no matter how daft you think they are.. And make sure you are satisfied with the answers. I believe our bodies are out of sync due to the change in our diets in how we live..hormone imbalances and stress... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.