Describe your pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I've been having digestive problems for 9 months now. I mostly get a bloated feeling in upper left quad and a kind of pinching feeling in the middle left of abdomen. These come and go in severity but i can always feel a low level discomfort. Always feel like I need to go the toilet and always have diarrhoea in the mornings. Aside from that, I constantly feel tired and have itchy skin.

I've had all kinds of tests. Had a dual phase ct to check pancreas, liver and rest of abdominal organs. Had mrcp and endoscopic ultrasound. Endoscopy to check stomach and abnormal ultrasound as well as a barrage of blood tests. Docs have said I have ibs but it's a difficult diagnosis to accept. Going in for a colonoscopy in April. If that's fine, I'll accept the diagnosis. Just looking for a little information on how this syndrome affects people.

Thanks guys.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

everyones symptoms are different but the most common IBS symptoms are constipation or diarrhoea (or both), bloating, excessive gas, abdominal distension, and pain.

some people also get secondary symptoms linked to the main ones such as nausea, sweating, difficulty in passing stools, tenesmus, problems with urination, haemmaroids. then of course if you are not eating properly because you are in pain/having D then you can feel tired, lethargic, low mood, headaches etc too

• Posted

Oh I'm eating properly. I've even put a lot of weight on.

• Posted

Hi,

Apparently doctors no very little about IBS

There are 3 words I live by.. trial and error.

I went on diary free and gluten free and it's gotten much better.

• Posted

We are all different and sometimes when we are suffering discomfort that may amplifly your condition. Patients present in many forms

They have really done you proud with your tranche of tests, and you mention a Colonoscopy in April, if you feel anxious about this test you can ask for a touch of Sedation, this will help with any discomfort you may have.

You mention discomfort in the LHS, how is your RHS, as that side may point to your Colon, Appendix, and Gallbladder, with stones etc. 

Many people have loose stools this could be caused by the diet you take, sometimes it can still be Constipation, with a loose stool, they will check that with the test in April

BOB

• Posted

Sounds like IBS; trust your doctor.  You have had plenty of negative tests.  Everyone is different with IBS, but you do have typical symptoms.  I have IBS and have stomach pain that moves about and frequent constipation.  I have had loose stools and nausea too.  Keep a food diary to check for food intolerance.
  • Posted

Hi Leigh,,

Welcome to the group.  From what you describe you have done a thorough job of investigation.  It is so common to hear your story on this list.  Like fybro or chronic fatigue, IBS is something you can never fully understand or solve.  It is a matter of getting to know your own mind and your own gut.

It has been a long journey for me. I am 63 and just starting to get a handle on what I can eat and do that will not trigger too many symptoms.  So far I have discovered that I need to note carefully what goes in the top orifice and what comes out the bottom one.  All the testing I went through pointed to nothing. Now I am armed with DGL licorice, ginger root, psyllium husk wherever I go.  

While I have resigned myself to having IBS symptoms (constipation, bloating, reflux, gas) I have found they are much reduced and usually manageable.  Most of the pain is gone as long as I avoid the nastiest triggers which for me are black pepper, onio, citrus and certain spices.

It is true that my stomach gurgling noises still embarrass me at office meetings, but other than that, I have found some peace of mind and body.

Hang in there friend.  Acceptance will come.  Listen, learn, experiment, give back.

--Phil

• Posted

Thanks for the comments. All I can do now is wait for this colonoscopy. The constant tiredness and itchyness is really getting me down. I am considering a total gluten free diet to see if it helps. Do or have any of you guys had a problem with itching and ibs?
  • Posted

It's good to have a plan. Gluten free is a big commitment if you are going to do it right. But even if you go partially gluten free it could help you learn discipline with your eating appetite. Although my IBS has not disappeared, it is drastically reduced from the process of observing the effects of certain foods and elements in my diet. My experiment with gluten free helped me get here. So give it go!

And btw, I find that I have itchiness around my waste when I eat a lot of carbs. Which happens way too often😀.

Have you looked up fibromyalgia? I share a lot of those symptoms as well.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi all. I've literally just had my colonoscopy. The doctor said that it looks entirely normal. He has discharged me and referred me to a dietitian with a diagnosis of ibs. I'm gonna accept this diagnosis. I've had lots of tests and nothing has been found. Suppose that's how ibs is diagnosed. Diagnosis of exclusion. Any tips that my fellow sufferers can give me will be gretuflly appreciated.

• Posted

Congratulations for getting this far! Acceptance is the first stage in recovery.  I found it very difficult (and still do at times) to accept that certain foods and lifestyle issues are out of bounds for me.  However, the upside is so great that it makes the effort and sacrifice amazingly tolerable.  Be patient with yourself and try to be consistent with a food/symptoms diary.  No panaceas out there but with persistence you will be rewarded. And you will undoubtedly backslide from time to time. I find this helps to remind me that the extra effort to eat right is truly worth it.  All good wishes Leigh!
    • Posted

Diagnosis and condition acceptance is key to managing IBS.  After diagnosis, I stopped worrying about my symptoms and I felt better.  Ask your dietician about the Low Fodmap diet if it isn't mentioned because many people benefit from it. Try distraction techniques like gentle exercise and hobbies.

Reducing stress is also key.  You could try an antispasmodic like Buscopan which can be bought over the counter or ask your doctor for one.  However, you may have to try several.  Ibruprofen is also good for severe flare ups but only for short term use because they can cause constipation.  Activia yoghurt helped my bowel habits to settle down.  If acid reflux is a problem try milk if you are not lactose intolerant or over the counter antacids.  For loose motions try banaas to bind you up more or try Immodium short term.  For constipation stool softeners such as Movicol are good so that stools are easier to pass and don't graze the anus or cause piles. Don't strain too much when going too the loo.  If you are not intolerant to fruit, try grapes, oranges and prune juice.

• Posted

These are excellent points and I fully endorse them.  It seems complicated at first, but over time, you will find the strategies that work for your body and the particular social and work environment that you must navigate.  As I have said on this list before, I had to let go of many physical and mental habits that were blocking the lifestyle I wanted to live -- which in my case required a spiritual recovery of sorts.  
    • Posted

Hi. It's funny that you mention activia. I have been having one a day for a couple of weeks now. I have found that they swam to help despite the fact that I was taking probiotics for a while and they didn't do anything.

• Posted

I asked a priest to give me the sacrament of the sick and I prayed constantly when I lost hope of a diagnosis and my panic was at its worst.  Then suddenly, when I didn't expect answers after eight doctor visits and numerous tests, I was diagnosed with IBS.

Although I no longer have health anxiety, I am still prone to worrying and getting stressed and this brings on IBS.  Aspergers makes tension worse for me.  But these things are easier to handle now that I know where everything fiits in my life.

• Posted

I took Activia after my diagnosis to see if it would help my loose stools and it did after four pots of it. My anxiety had also disappeared at this time too so maybe that also helped to settle my bowel at the same time.
    • Posted

Yeah. It's weird. I didn't buy the activia to help with my symptoms. I bought it because I like yogurt. However, I did try yakalt and probiotics and they didn't do a thing. The activia may just be a coincidence but it's a rather happy one if it is. I'm inclined to believe that it's the yogurt.

• Posted

There may be some truth in it because they say you should take yoghurt after antibiotics to replace lost good gut bacteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.