DESPERATE FOR ADVICE WITH ALLI

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I started Alli on 6/13 and stopped on 6/17 because I thought I had a stomach virus. Come to find out it most likely the pill. When can I expect the side effects to subside. Please any advice is GREATLY appreciated

michelle

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Without going into too much detail I'm guessing you had diarrhoea, stomach cramps etc? The problem is not the tablets it's the food you're eating. If you are eating too much fat the tablets will react with it - sometimes quite violently. When you're ready to try again limit your meals to 15g fat max per meal and ensure that individual items don't contain more than 5g fat per 100g. Start by taking just one tablet with your main meal. If you're ok you can then slowly increase it to 3 tablets a day with meals. Good luck xx
  • Posted

Hi michelle ive had my 3rd prescription now and ive been fine on them 1st started of bad tummy ache and constipated but carried on and it settled i stick to 1200 calories a day and keep to the strict intake of 5 gms of fat to 100 and under 15gms per meal but im now having side effects they are quite bad im constantly going the toilet leaking oil and always have tummy cramps i cannot understand why when im very strict what i eat and havnt had it before when you start them usually after a week it settles so give them some time to settle in your system and keep to 5 gms per 100 of fat per item see how you go maybe i have a tummy bug as ive never had this before ill see how i go too good luck let me know if you manage to stay on them im def not coming of them ive lost 21lbs so far lol so ill put up with it for now take care xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

The side effects - I expect you mean rushing to the loo and oily stools - are caused because the pills are stopping your body from digesting fat,  This is what they are supposed to do and it will only stop if you cut fat out from your diet.  Unfortunately they don't work miracles on their own.

• Posted

Thanks for responding so when will the sense and stop my last pill and was handed 4 days ago
  • Posted

Hi again,  your last message is a bit confusing.  I think you mean you stopped taking the pills a while ago but still have the symptoms?  I can only speak from my own experience but I certainly only got the oily stools and urgency on the days I had taken the pills.  It sounds as though you might have picked up a bug because it's unlikely the effects of the pills would still be working.  Maybe you should go to the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.